Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to a new era - the BAP era

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Except that neither of them were. And if they were the best on our board then we need to replace the people making the board.
    Didn't some of the experts say Milliner was the best defensive player period in this years draft?

Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post
    The jets offense is going to be terrible this gear regardless of who we picked. This is a rebuilding year (or two or three). They have plenty of time to upgrade their offense. If they thought this was a weak offensive class up top, then I have no problem with them waiting until a later point to address the offense.
    So because the offense is going to be terrible this year you have to simple accept that??? And draft defense again?

The team is so lopsided it's absurd - I was honestly in love with what Idzik was doing all off season - but to neglect the offense in the first round is just unbelievable to me.

If you felt like 9 and 13 would be a reach - Trade down and get the best deal you can and take offense.

Except that neither of them were. And if they were the best on our board then we need to replace the people making the board.
    Oh please. Can the whining... You don't know what you're talking about

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    john idzik doesn't care who you wanted. doesn't care who i wanted. doesn't care the jets took o'brien over marino, took a TE over sapp or took gholston. just ask him.

finally, we have a gm who is confident enough to draft like the giants, steelers and ravens.

to be clear, the toughest BAP draft is the first one. odds are the gm won't draft who the fans want. but looking at the 2nd half of the first round, who is a clear choice over whom the jets picked? i love richardson more than milliner, i think he's terrific. as the jets morph into a 4-3, they could use a guy like him. heck, i'll take anyone who's good. that's what the giants do. they took a guard at 19. you pick the best guy on the board. that's how you get better, and that's how you stay good.

and that's the theme here. just give us good players. give us a reason to tune in on sundays. we have at least 2 picks today. maybe they take a qb like nassib. maybe they take franklin, or ertz. i assume - perhaps erroneously - they'll go offense in rounds 2 and 3.

but above all, i assume they'll go BAP. b/c that's how you build good teams. welcome, jet fans, to an era of how competitive teams are built. idzik is the anti-tannenbaum, and we should all be thankful.

I agree. In all the years following the team the only time that I didn't hear the fans boos was when the team picked Keyshawn Johnson.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    john idzik doesn't care who you wanted. doesn't care who i wanted. doesn't care the jets took o'brien over marino, took a TE over sapp or took gholston. just ask him.

finally, we have a gm who is confident enough to draft like the giants, steelers and ravens.

to be clear, the toughest BAP draft is the first one. odds are the gm won't draft who the fans want. but looking at the 2nd half of the first round, who is a clear choice over whom the jets picked? i love richardson more than milliner, i think he's terrific. as the jets morph into a 4-3, they could use a guy like him. heck, i'll take anyone who's good. that's what the giants do. they took a guard at 19. you pick the best guy on the board. that's how you get better, and that's how you stay good.

and that's the theme here. just give us good players. give us a reason to tune in on sundays. we have at least 2 picks today. maybe they take a qb like nassib. maybe they take franklin, or ertz. i assume - perhaps erroneously - they'll go offense in rounds 2 and 3.

but above all, i assume they'll go BAP. b/c that's how you build good teams. welcome, jet fans, to an era of how competitive teams are built. idzik is the anti-tannenbaum, and we should all be thankful.
    BAP is such a clean, cute term. What criteria goes into BAP is the issue here.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Blindly All are Picked

Dont include the GIANTS in your BAP theory. The OL wasn't then highest rated player left on the board. In fact, this was strictly a case of drafting for your needs.

All League

Aug. Good to see an optimistic view of the Jets future with Idzik. You and I both understand that the Jets need Offense, but not at the expense of reaching for it. This draft just simply was a historically bad Offensive skill player one. I reluctantly picked two Defensive players in my mock (Jordan & Star,) so I'm not surprised the Jets did the same by picking the BPA...

Future looks promising.

THIS. THIS. A BILLION TIMES "THIS".

Those two were NEVER on the Jets radar(well....maybe Sheldon *might* have been but probably the last pick on that list, I guess but definitely not the other guy).

Just another case of Political-bullsh*t speak from the Jets Brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    THIS. THIS. A BILLION TIMES "THIS".

Those two were NEVER on the Jets radar(well....maybe Sheldon *might* have been but probably the last pick on that list, I guess but definitely not the other guy).

Just another case of Political-bullsh*t speak from the Jets Brass.
    Ok ill bite... Since you obviously know, who was actually on the jets radar then?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    So because the offense is going to be terrible this year you have to simple accept that??? And draft defense again?

The team is so lopsided it's absurd - I was honestly in love with what Idzik was doing all off season - but to neglect the offense in the first round is just unbelievable to me.

If you felt like 9 and 13 would be a reach - Trade down and get the best deal you can and take offense.
    My god some of you look at things through a microscope and dont see the big picture. Everyone agrees that the Jets are in a major rebuilding mode, everyone agrees the Jets are not going to be a very good team this year, everyone realized that this year was about purging bad contracts and getting cap healthy for 2014. These picks are not about 2013, its about the bigger picture.

You guys act like the Jets passed over Julio Jones, AJ Green, Calvin Johnson and Adrien Petersen in the top 13. The Jets have 7 picks remaining and people are crying that the offense was not addressed....LOL. Get a grip, the 2013 season is the first of a two year rebuilding process.

As far as the "why didnt the Jets trade down?" scenario, they tried, nobody wanted the pick. San Fran didnt need to move to 13 to get their guy, Austin and Jordan both went a head of the 9th pick. The draft didnt fall the Jets way, not much you can do about that it happens, cant trade something that no one wants. Jets were in no mans land this year, they would have been better off with the 22nd and 25th selections.

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Ok ill bite... Since you obviously know, who was actually on the jets radar then?
    Sure I do! I'm the Great Carnac after all....

And the Great Carnac says "No way in hell that those two were two of the TOP players they were looking for".

As for who was actually on the Jets radar.....No clue but It's easier to believe that these two WEREN'T at the top of their list or even on it.
    Last edited by Vin; 04-26-2013 at 10:25 AM.

All League
    So what do if a CB or a DL is the BPA today?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    My god some of you look at things through a microscope and dont see the big picture. Everyone agrees that the Jets are in a major rebuilding mode, everyone agrees the Jets are not going to be a very good team this year, everyone realized that this year was about purging bad contracts and getting cap healthy for 2014. These picks are not about 2013, its about the bigger picture.

You guys act like the Jets passed over Julio Jones, AJ Green, Calvin Johnson and Adrien Petersen in the top 13. The Jets have 7 picks remaining and people are crying that the offense was not addressed....LOL. Get a grip, the 2013 season is the first of a two year rebuilding process.

As far as the "why didnt the Jets trade down?" scenario, they tried, nobody wanted the pick. San Fran didnt need to move to 13 to get their guy, Austin and Jordan both went a head of the 9th pick. The draft didnt fall the Jets way, not much you can do about that it happens, cant trade something that no one wants. Jets were in no mans land this year, they would have been better off with the 22nd and 25th selections.
    Great post. Additionally, would a 5'8" 175 WR be a better choice than the top CB in the draft? Not for me.

All Pro
    I'm sorry, I don't buy it.

Millner seems like a reactionary pick to me - was he really their BPA at 9?
    I doubt it...

Just the fact that he came out afterward and said both picks were in their top 4 says to me he's as full of sh-- as the rest of them.
    Milliner was projected to go higher than 9, he very well could have been the BAP at that point. And corner is a need, so I don't have a huge probelm.

Don't buy it. No team truly picks BAP, that is why the analysts get so many picks right as the draft goes on, they pick the best player available at an area of need. They don't reach for their greatest need but they do pick players that help their weakest areas. The Jets did not do that, they truly picked BPA with their picks. I hope they are great dominant players but not sure they make the team better and slightly lessser prospects at other positions would have had a bigger impact

All Pro
    I'm sorry, I don't buy it.

Millner seems like a reactionary pick to me - was he really their BPA at 9?
    I doubt it...

Just the fact that he came out afterward and said both picks were in their top 4 says to me he's as full of sh-- as the rest of them.
    Considering Millner has been classified on many draft boards as a top five player overall in draft, yeah, I would say that is value and BPA at 9

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Considering Millner has been classified on many draft boards as a top five player overall in draft, yeah, I would say that is value and BPA at 9
    Any many had him as not even the top CB in the draft. He may have been their top CB - it's just there are too many holes to fill

Really on point, excellent post.

Any many had him as not even the top CB in the draft. He may have been their top CB - it's just there are too many holes to fill
    name them.

Looking over the experts' mocks, almost to a man Milliner is above the other corners.