Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 82

Thread: Welcome to a new era - the BAP era

  1. #41
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    northern jersey
    Posts
    3,219
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Don't buy it. No team truly picks BAP, that is why the analysts get so many picks right as the draft goes on, they pick the best player available at an area of need. They don't reach for their greatest need but they do pick players that help their weakest areas. The Jets did not do that, they truly picked BPA with their picks. I hope they are great dominant players but not sure they make the team better and slightly lessser prospects at other positions would have had a bigger impact
    they cut Pouha, lost DeVito, and a certain CB which we will not speak of has gone south.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    THIS. THIS. A BILLION TIMES "THIS".


    Those two were NEVER on the Jets radar(well....maybe Sheldon *might* have been but probably the last pick on that list, I guess but definitely not the other guy).

    Just another case of Political-bullsh*t speak from the Jets Brass.
    Hey Vin... almost everything you ever post is based on unsubstantiated assumptions. It's a real pattern with you. Other than your Braylon fetish.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    My god some of you look at things through a microscope and dont see the big picture. Everyone agrees that the Jets are in a major rebuilding mode, everyone agrees the Jets are not going to be a very good team this year, everyone realized that this year was about purging bad contracts and getting cap healthy for 2014. These picks are not about 2013, its about the bigger picture.

    You guys act like the Jets passed over Julio Jones, AJ Green, Calvin Johnson and Adrien Petersen in the top 13. The Jets have 7 picks remaining and people are crying that the offense was not addressed....LOL. Get a grip, the 2013 season is the first of a two year rebuilding process.
    This. Thank you. People are acting as though there was exceptional talent available on offensive skill positions. There wasn't.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Great post. Additionally, would a 5'8" 175 WR be a better choice than the top CB in the draft? Not for me.
    Austin is going to get beat up badly in the NFL. I was thrilled when the Bills traded down to the Rams because I knew that we wouldn't be the ones to take the risk. And I like Austin a lot. Just couldn't see investing a first rounder for what will likely be a slot guy or another Santana Moss.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Austin is going to get beat up badly in the NFL. I was thrilled when the Bills traded down to the Rams because I knew that we wouldn't be the ones to take the risk. And I like Austin a lot. Just couldn't see investing a first rounder for what will likely be a slot guy or another Santana Moss.
    the rams trading up for milliner was very good for the jets. he's a guy they may have drafted and i just didn't see the value at 9.

  6. #46
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Cocoa beach FL
    Posts
    602
    If we come away today with:

    Keenan Allen
    Gavin Escobar

    or

    Geno Smith
    Keenan Allen


    How would you feel about draft then?

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by nclion View Post
    If we come away today with:

    Keenan Allen
    Gavin Escobar

    or

    Geno Smith
    Keenan Allen


    How would you feel about draft then?
    yes, start evaluating the draft after tonight. expect 2 offensive players. maybe a qb, maybe not.

  8. #48
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Cocoa beach FL
    Posts
    602
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    yes, start evaluating the draft after tonight. expect 2 offensive players. maybe a qb, maybe not.
    This is a 2 year rebuild and everyone is screaming because we did not get over the super bowl hump in one round.

    Milliner is better than Wilson by far and allows Rex to be more aggressive with is safety play. Plus he slides into Cromarties slot when Cro leaves.
    Its obvious we are going to play more 4-3 and that caters to Coples. Richardson is a beast. Go watch his game vs Alabama than watch Floyds. Who cares what ESPN analyst had a hard on for his friends client. There is a reason Floyd fell to 22.

    Now we go BPA again today. If that BPA is a DE to plug in our 4-3 so be it.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by nclion View Post
    This is a 2 year rebuild and everyone is screaming because we did not get over the super bowl hump in one round.

    Milliner is better than Wilson by far and allows Rex to be more aggressive with is safety play. Plus he slides into Cromarties slot when Cro leaves.
    Its obvious we are going to play more 4-3 and that caters to Coples. Richardson is a beast. Go watch his game vs Alabama than watch Floyds. Who cares what ESPN analyst had a hard on for his friends client. There is a reason Floyd fell to 22.

    Now we go BPA again today. If that BPA is a DE to plug in our 4-3 so be it.
    they took 2 guys last night who should be very good. there's still plenty of offensive talent, just none that justified a day 1 pick. they can get a quality wr, te, rb and qb prospect. that's the thing, when you evaluate each pick you can get angry but when you look at all the picks in aggregate you get a better sense of whether this team improved or not. it's not about filling blatant needs, it's about drafting good players who don't suck.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Sure I do! I'm the Great Carnac after all....




    And the Great Carnac says "No way in hell that those two were two of the TOP players they were looking for".


    As for who was actually on the Jets radar.....No clue but It's easier to believe that these two WEREN'T at the top of their list or even on it.
    I have seen literally, many 1000's of either ridiculously stupid or ridiculously moronic statements posted here. This is in the top 1% of both, congratulations.

  11. #51
    Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,710
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Milliner was projected to go higher than 9, he very well could have been the BAP at that point. And corner is a need, so I don't have a huge probelm.
    Until they found out about the rod in his leg a few days ago. I hope he can stay healthy.

  12. #52
    1) BPA doesn't work when you have no franchise QB

    2) BPA is bogus as a theory because it assumes your team's draft board is 100% accurate on who is and isn't better

    3) Idzik said Richardson was in Jets top 4 on big board. Something is wrong about that. Or he's lying.

  13. #53
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Forked River, NJ
    Posts
    4,743
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    john idzik doesn't care who you wanted. doesn't care who i wanted. doesn't care the jets took o'brien over marino, took a TE over sapp or took gholston. just ask him.

    finally, we have a gm who is confident enough to draft like the giants, steelers and ravens.

    to be clear, the toughest BAP draft is the first one. odds are the gm won't draft who the fans want. but looking at the 2nd half of the first round, who is a clear choice over whom the jets picked? i love richardson more than milliner, i think he's terrific. as the jets morph into a 4-3, they could use a guy like him. heck, i'll take anyone who's good. that's what the giants do. they took a guard at 19. you pick the best guy on the board. that's how you get better, and that's how you stay good.

    and that's the theme here. just give us good players. give us a reason to tune in on sundays. we have at least 2 picks today. maybe they take a qb like nassib. maybe they take franklin, or ertz. i assume - perhaps erroneously - they'll go offense in rounds 2 and 3.

    but above all, i assume they'll go BAP. b/c that's how you build good teams. welcome, jet fans, to an era of how competitive teams are built. idzik is the anti-tannenbaum, and we should all be thankful.
    Excellent post. Those who are seeing clearly seem to be in the minority here.

    Idzik has made it abundantly clear that he will choose the best available players in interviews both before and after making his first 2 draft choices. I have also heard and read multiple interviews with people who know Idzik and they all say he will build through the draft by choosing the BAP, even if the picks are not popular ones. He will not listen to the media or the fans and will always do what he feels is best for the Jets.

    I see in the media and on this message board there are many who say this proves Rex still has influence or even people who said “Rex chose Milner” and “Rex chose Richardson”. I say you couldn’t be more wrong. Even Tannenbaum, who knows Idzik, said in an interview that it is Idzik making the choices. If Idzik felt the BAP's were offensive players we would be reading about “Mornhinweg’s picks” instead.

    Teams known to choose the BAP’s are consistently good teams such as the Packers, Steelers, Giants, to name a few. More recently, the 49’ers and Seahawks can be added to that list. IMO, this is the right way to build a team, though it seems foreign to Jets fans.

    I heard a fascinating story on the SiriusXM NFL channel one morning this week. Andrew Brandt was asked about his most memorable draft experiences and he told a story about the Green Bay war room drafting Aaron Rodgers. In 2005 he sat in the war room with GM Ted Thompson watching Rodgers tumbling down the draft board. It was thought that Rodgers would be picked higher but there he was, sitting at the 24th pick. He was far and away the BAP on Green Bay’s draft board, but Green Bay had no need for a QB, having Favre who was one of the most durable QB’s ever. Thompson wanted to pick Rodgers but there was disagreement in the room. They waited fruitlessly for a phone call that never came in order to trade down rather than choosing an unneeded QB. As we all know, they finally chose Rodgers, who sat behind Favre for 3 years.

    I can’t think of better story to legitimize Idzik’s philosophy. I have no beef with those who disagree who the BAP is- that is certainly debatable, but those who think we are picking by position have your heads in the sand. Sure Tavon Austin would have been an exciting addition, but in the end BAP is the way to go. I have climbed aboard the Idzik train.
    Last edited by Jet Blast; 04-26-2013 at 11:06 AM.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    Excellent post. Those who are seeing clearly seem to be in the minority here.

    Idzik has made it abundantly clear that he will choose the best available players in interviews both before and after making his first 2 draft choices. I have also heard and read multiple interviews with people who know Idzik and they all say he will build through the draft by choosing the BAP, even if the picks are not popular ones. He will not listen to the media or the fans and will always do what he feels is best for the Jets.

    I see in the media and on this message board there are many who say this proves Rex still has influence or even people who said “Rex chose Milner” and “Rex chose Richardson”. I say you couldn’t be more wrong. Even Tannenbaum, who knows Idzik, said in an interview that it is Idzik making the choices. If Idzik felt the BAP's were offensive players we would be reading about “Mornhinweg’s picks” instead.

    Teams known to choose the BAP’s are consistently good teams such as the Packers, Steelers, Giants, to name a few. More recently, the 49’ers and Seahawks can be added to that list. IMO, this is the right way to build a team, though it seems foreign to Jets fans.

    I heard a fascinating story on the SiriusXM NFL channel one morning this week. Andrew Brandt was asked about his most memorable draft experiences and he told a story about the Green Bay war room drafting Aaron Rodgers. In 2005 he sat in the war room with GM Ted Thompson watching Rodgers tumbling down the draft board. It was thought that Rodgers would be picked higher but he was at the 24th pick. He was far and away the BAP on Green Bay’s draft board, but Green Bay had no need for a QB, having Favre who was one of the most durable QB’s ever. Thompson wanted to pick Rodgers but there was disagreement in the room. They waited fruitlessly for a phone call that never came in order to trade down, rather than choosing an unneeded QB. As we all know, they finally chose Rodgers, who sat behind Favre for 3 years.

    I can’t think of better story to legitimize Idzik’s philosophy. I have no beef with those who disagree who the BAP is- that is certainly debatable, but those who think we are picking by position have your heads in the sand. Sure Tavon Austin would have been an exciting addition, but in the end BAP is the way to go. I have climbed aboard the Idzik train.
    love this

  15. #55
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    6,890
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    1) BPA doesn't work when you have no franchise QB

    2) BPA is bogus as a theory because it assumes your team's draft board is 100% accurate on who is and isn't better

    3) Idzik said Richardson was in Jets top 4 on big board. Something is wrong about that. Or he's lying.
    And if he drafted Geno Smith just to satisfy you, we'd still have no franchise QB....

    Oh, and about BPA....Ozzie Newsome says hi.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    And if he drafted Geno Smith just to satisfy you, we'd still have no franchise QB....

    Oh, and about BPA....Ozzie Newsome says hi.
    it's not about pleasing the espn commentators. idzik is trying to build a football team and he's basically starting from scratch. over time if you take good players you're going to have a good team. the order in which you find good players is unclear.

  17. #57
    Other than Idzik double speak provide proof.

    Because both picks REEK of Ryan and frame Idzik (like Tannenbaum) as a stooge who acquiesces to Ryan.

    Warmack had zero injury history and the first round talent level was essentially flat. Taking Warmack at 9 would've at least addressed the proper side of the ball. BAP my ass. The entire first round essentially is full of 3rd rounders from last year and 2nds the year before that. Rex made those picks. Prove me wrong.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    1) BPA doesn't work when you have no franchise QB

    2) BPA is bogus as a theory because it assumes your team's draft board is 100% accurate on who is and isn't better

    3) Idzik said Richardson was in Jets top 4 on big board. Something is wrong about that. Or he's lying.
    I don't think he's lying but I think something is wrong with it...


    I have no problem with going best player available. The QB position is the only position you treat differently than that.

    The problem I have is that Richardson lacks strength at the point of attack... He hustles, but I really don't care about a defensive lineman making a tackle 20 yards down field. That basically means your defense already lost the play. And that hustle only gets you so much in the NFL. His strength isn't great and he's also 24 years old. that basically means it's not getting better in the NFL. The one major aspect that Richardson has going for him is that he's got a great head on his shoulders. Guys who are that quick typically figure out a way to make it work in the NFL.

    And the problem I have with the Milliner pick is that the guy isn't smart... Revis and Cromartie aren't brain surgeons by any means, but they are quick when spoken directly to. Typically the smarter guys are the ones who figure out ways to be great. He gives up catches in college and the guy is definitely not going to be Revis. He'll be more comparable to Wilson who everyone seems to hate for the simple reason that he also gives up receptions. Milliner won't bust, he just won't be great.


    Bottom line is that we aren't winning without a QB so most of this **** really doesn't matter much. Manuel was the guy to get and Buffalo handled it all correctly.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Other than Idzik double speak provide proof.

    Because both picks REEK of Ryan and frame Idzik (like Tannenbaum) as a stooge who acquiesces to Ryan.

    Warmack had zero injury history and the first round talent level was essentially flat. Taking Warmack at 9 would've at least addressed the proper side of the ball. BAP my ass. The entire first round essentially is full of 3rd rounders from last year and 2nds the year before that. Rex made those picks. Prove me wrong.
    You don't waste top 10 picks on guards. Especially a guard who shows flaws pass blocking. Eventually you have to pay them and it's just bad business. Kind of like it's bad business for us paying so much to a center.

    And in response to your dumbass comment that Rex made the picks, how about you prove that instead of asking people to prove you wrong. Considering that proving either is basically impossible.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    Excellent post. Those who are seeing clearly seem to be in the minority here.

    Idzik has made it abundantly clear that he will choose the best available players in interviews both before and after making his first 2 draft choices. I have also heard and read multiple interviews with people who know Idzik and they all say he will build through the draft by choosing the BAP, even if the picks are not popular ones. He will not listen to the media or the fans and will always do what he feels is best for the Jets.

    I see in the media and on this message board there are many who say this proves Rex still has influence or even people who said “Rex chose Milner” and “Rex chose Richardson”. I say you couldn’t be more wrong. Even Tannenbaum, who knows Idzik, said in an interview that it is Idzik making the choices. If Idzik felt the BAP's were offensive players we would be reading about “Mornhinweg’s picks” instead.

    Teams known to choose the BAP’s are consistently good teams such as the Packers, Steelers, Giants, to name a few. More recently, the 49’ers and Seahawks can be added to that list. IMO, this is the right way to build a team, though it seems foreign to Jets fans.

    I heard a fascinating story on the SiriusXM NFL channel one morning this week. Andrew Brandt was asked about his most memorable draft experiences and he told a story about the Green Bay war room drafting Aaron Rodgers. In 2005 he sat in the war room with GM Ted Thompson watching Rodgers tumbling down the draft board. It was thought that Rodgers would be picked higher but there he was, sitting at the 24th pick. He was far and away the BAP on Green Bay’s draft board, but Green Bay had no need for a QB, having Favre who was one of the most durable QB’s ever. Thompson wanted to pick Rodgers but there was disagreement in the room. They waited fruitlessly for a phone call that never came in order to trade down rather than choosing an unneeded QB. As we all know, they finally chose Rodgers, who sat behind Favre for 3 years.

    I can’t think of better story to legitimize Idzik’s philosophy. I have no beef with those who disagree who the BAP is- that is certainly debatable, but those who think we are picking by position have your heads in the sand. Sure Tavon Austin would have been an exciting addition, but in the end BAP is the way to go. I have climbed aboard the Idzik train.
    The best decision-makers, in my view, "trust the board." Players have been poked, prodded, analyzed and discussed for seven months. It's time to let the board do the work.

    The biggest downfall of decision-makers is becoming impulsive and emotional, straying from the board. Nothing deflates the morale of scouting staffs faster.

    In 2005, all of the defensive players we targeted -- including DeMarcus Ware and Marcus Spears, both picked by Dallas -- were off the board, leaving us staring at Aaron Rodgers, the only player left with a first-round grade. Although we had the most durable quarterback in football, Brett Favre, we decided to "trust the board."
    trust the board!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us