Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to a new era - the BAP era

Welcome to a new era - the BAP era

john idzik doesn't care who you wanted. doesn't care who i wanted. doesn't care the jets took o'brien over marino, took a TE over sapp or took gholston. just ask him.

finally, we have a gm who is confident enough to draft like the giants, steelers and ravens.

to be clear, the toughest BAP draft is the first one. odds are the gm won't draft who the fans want. but looking at the 2nd half of the first round, who is a clear choice over whom the jets picked? i love richardson more than milliner, i think he's terrific. as the jets morph into a 4-3, they could use a guy like him. heck, i'll take anyone who's good. that's what the giants do. they took a guard at 19. you pick the best guy on the board. that's how you get better, and that's how you stay good.

and that's the theme here. just give us good players. give us a reason to tune in on sundays. we have at least 2 picks today. maybe they take a qb like nassib. maybe they take franklin, or ertz. i assume - perhaps erroneously - they'll go offense in rounds 2 and 3.

but above all, i assume they'll go BAP. b/c that's how you build good teams. welcome, jet fans, to an era of how competitive teams are built. idzik is the anti-tannenbaum, and we should all be thankful.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    john idzik doesn't care who you wanted. doesn't care who i wanted. doesn't care the jets took o'brien over marino, took a TE over sapp or took gholston. just ask him.

finally, we have a gm who is confident enough to draft like the giants, steelers and ravens.

to be clear, the toughest BAP draft is the first one. odds are the gm won't draft who the fans want. but looking at the 2nd half of the first round, who is a clear choice over whom the jets picked? i love richardson more than milliner, i think he's terrific. as the jets morph into a 4-3, they could use a guy like him. heck, i'll take anyone who's good. that's what the giants do. they took a guard at 19. you pick the best guy on the board. that's how you get better, and that's how you stay good.

and that's the theme here. just give us good players. give us a reason to tune in on sundays. we have at least 2 picks today. maybe they take a qb like nassib. maybe they take franklin, or ertz. i assume - perhaps erroneously - they'll go offense in rounds 2 and 3.

but above all, i assume they'll go BAP. b/c that's how you build good teams. welcome, jet fans, to an era of how competitive teams are built. idzik is the anti-tannenbaum, and we should all be thankful.
    I'm sorry, I don't buy it.

Millner seems like a reactionary pick to me - was he really their BPA at 9?
    I doubt it...

Just the fact that he came out afterward and said both picks were in their top 4 says to me he's as full of sh-- as the rest of them.

even the patsies draft the bap. the point is the game is so physical that teams need enough good players and then they have to be able to rely on the players they have. the bellichicken knows this as well as anyone. he wants players who can play at a high level game in and game out not the super duper stars who may take plays off or not be counted on play in and play out. i'll give him some credit for that philosophy.

Never had or never will have a problem with BAP.... interesting to see how things flush out today.....

Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    even the patsies draft the bap. the point is the game is so physical that teams need enough good players and then they have to be able to rely on the players they have. the bellichicken knows this as well as anyone. he wants players who can play at a high level game in and game out not the super duper stars who may take plays off or not be counted on play in and play out. i'll give him some credit for that philosophy.
    they are capable of scoring points. Typically have the best (or one of the best) offenses in the league. They have that luxury.

I would have had no problem going bap offense - but at some point you have to score points. It's disgraceful.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    How can anyone possibly knock the route the Jets are taking...this is indeed a new era....this team will bounce back quick.

Hall Of Fame
    Except that neither of them were. And if they were the best on our board then we need to replace the people making the board.

great post!

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Just the fact that he came out afterward and said both picks were in their top 4 says to me he's as full of sh-- as the rest of them.
    That's easy to say, but who was DEFINITELY better than them?

You like Jordan/Mingo? I've spent months hearing how each is a definite boom/bust.

You like Austin? He's everything from the next WR Barry Sanders to getting fitted for a body cast in training camp.

You like Warmack? We have decades of NFL history saying you don't take a guard that high, so you can't rip the Jets if they agree with that logic.

You like the LTs? Perhaps Idzik KNEW they weren't an option with Brick here so they weren't even on the board.

Point is, all year this has been known as a difficult draft to slot. There were few "guarantees", and only time will tell who pans out and who doesn't.

Maybe they're feeding us a line, but it's not impossible to believe these guys were top 4 -- now they just have to live up to that billing . . .

All League
    I agree that BAP is the way to build a team.

But smart front offices position themselves to where BAP also fits a need.

Last year, the Rams knew RGIII was going to be the BAP. The trade out of the pick. If we were so high on Milliner when he started to fall, either there had to be another team that felt similar and we should have traded out of the 9 spot.

Or we're we the only team in the league that felt that way?

I know the whole world allegedly thought Milliner was the top QB. All the mocks had Sharif Floyd as the top DT. Doesn't make it right.

Good players, terrible picks, as another posted said.

Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    That's easy to say, but who was DEFINITELY better than them?

You like Jordan/Mingo? I've spent months hearing how each is a definite boom/bust.

You like Austin? He's everything from the next WR Barry Sanders to getting fitted for a body cast in training camp.

You like Warmack? We have decades of NFL history saying you don't take a guard that high, so you can't rip the Jets if they agree with that logic.

You like the LTs? Perhaps Idzik KNEW they weren't an option with Brick here so they weren't even on the board.

Point is, all year this has been known as a difficult draft to slot. There were few "guarantees", and only time will tell who pans out and who doesn't.

Maybe they're feeding us a line, but it's not impossible to believe these guys were top 4 -- now they just have to live up to that billing . . .
    If you're talking about BAP - then there are no excuses.

Warmack is the best talent (regardless of rules)
    both Tackles - you can't say you're going BAP and disregard two players because you already have one - that's bullsh--

Neglecting the offense in this situation is disgraceful. I get BAP but you can't just pick in a vacum.

both Tackles - you can't say you're going BAP and disregard two players because you already have one - that's bullsh--

Neglecting the offense in this situation is disgraceful. I get BAP but you can't just pick in a vacum.
    As we've said ad nauseum, THERE ARE SIX MORE ROUNDS LEFT.

Most scouts say Warmack is not as good as DeCastro, who fell to the 23rd pick. So to act like this guy was a no-brainer at 9 just doesn't work for me.

And I don't make draft boards, but I still think Idzik meant these guys were two of the top four guys they were hoping to have a shot at -- there's no reason to put LTs in that group when you KNOW you're not drafting one.

If they don't pan out, so be it. But to think we're getting this nuts because we didn't grab a G or a "dependable" TE . . . we're not talking Rodgers/Megatron here . . .

All League
    The original poster is spot on as you listen to the news conference:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-an...0-a57b9415d8fb

Its pretty evident that our 4 top players were:

Austin
    Cooper
    Milliner
    Richardson

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Except that neither of them were. And if they were the best on our board then we need to replace the people making the board.
    + 1000

Jets Insider VIP
    It is hard, I guess, to get used to drafting the best football player available and treating draft picks as precious assets when Jet "fans" have become accustomed to trading up for big spashes and losing picks every year after first peeing away multiple picks on useless CFL quality punt protectors.

It will be a tough adjustment to finally do things the right way....especially for some at JI

Hall Of Fame
    lol you gotta admit that it feels good

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    It is hard, I guess, to get used to drafting the best football player available and treating draft picks as precious assets when Jet "fans" have become accustomed to trading up for big spashes and losing picks every year after first peeing away multiple picks on useless CFL quality punt protectors.

It will be a tough adjustment to finally do things the right way....especially for some at JI
    Last edited by jetsfreak; 04-26-2013 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

I'm going to wash that Tannenbaum right out of my hair. LOL.

Hall Of Fame
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    I'm going to wash that Tannenbaum right out of my hair. LOL.

Rookie
    Damn, this kool aid taste good.

All League

The jets offense is going to be terrible this gear regardless of who we picked. This is a rebuilding year (or two or three). They have plenty of time to upgrade their offense. If they thought this was a weak offensive class up top, then I have no problem with them waiting until a later point to address the offense.