Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to a new era - the BAP era

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Other than Idzik double speak provide proof.

Because both picks REEK of Ryan and frame Idzik (like Tannenbaum) as a stooge who acquiesces to Ryan.

Warmack had zero injury history and the first round talent level was essentially flat. Taking Warmack at 9 would've at least addressed the proper side of the ball. BAP my ass. The entire first round essentially is full of 3rd rounders from last year and 2nds the year before that. Rex made those picks. Prove me wrong.
    Proof? Only time will provide you proof.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    And if he drafted Geno Smith just to satisfy you, we'd still have no franchise QB....

Oh, and about BPA....Ozzie Newsome says hi.
    Ozzie says hi? Can you ask him if we can buy his board? Maybe we can get some good players that way, our GM is clueless.
    Thanks!!

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    And if he drafted Geno Smith just to satisfy you, we'd still have no franchise QB....

Oh, and about BPA....Ozzie Newsome says hi.
    BPA is SUBJECTIVE! Apparently some guys are good at it and some suck.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    BPA is SUBJECTIVE! Apparently some guys are good at it and some suck.
    Exactly! Every GM says BPA and that they do it. But guess what, there are a lot of ATROCIOUS GMs in this league, and they're all hiding behind BPA too

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Exactly! Every GM says BPA and that they do it. But guess what, there are a lot of ATROCIOUS GMs in this league, and they're all hiding behind BPA too
    And just because you've never heard of a player and haven't reviewed him doesn't mean that the team hasn't and put him in the top 4.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    even the patsies draft the bap. the point is the game is so physical that teams need enough good players and then they have to be able to rely on the players they have. the bellichicken knows this as well as anyone. he wants players who can play at a high level game in and game out not the super duper stars who may take plays off or not be counted on play in and play out. i'll give him some credit for that philosophy.
    Bellichek has missed on alot of draft picks lately especially on D..Brady has covered alot of the Pats weaknesses the past few years because theyre not that talented

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Matt Millen took BAP an awful lot................

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    1) BPA doesn't work when you have no franchise QB

2) BPA is bogus as a theory because it assumes your team's draft board is 100% accurate on who is and isn't better

3) Idzik said Richardson was in Jets top 4 on big board. Something is wrong about that. Or he's lying.
    Weren't you one of the proponents to trade 13 to the 49ers??

And from all reports, the 9ers were in love with Richardson so he would have probably been they're pick at 13. What would you have said about the 9ers selecting Richardson??

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today is going to be the most interesting... cause truthfully? Outside of a couple WRs, defense is still the best talent on the board.

By the same measure, Milliner and Richardson should suggest we won't take a QB until the 4 round or so when the talent ACTUALLY meets the value of the pick.

Names to watch; Cyprien, Hunt, Woods, Swearinger

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    Excellent post. Those who are seeing clearly seem to be in the minority here.

Idzik has made it abundantly clear that he will choose the best available players in interviews both before and after making his first 2 draft choices. I have also heard and read multiple interviews with people who know Idzik and they all say he will build through the draft by choosing the BAP, even if the picks are not popular ones. He will not listen to the media or the fans and will always do what he feels is best for the Jets.

I see in the media and on this message board there are many who say this proves Rex still has influence or even people who said “Rex chose Milner” and “Rex chose Richardson”. I say you couldn’t be more wrong. Even Tannenbaum, who knows Idzik, said in an interview that it is Idzik making the choices. If Idzik felt the BAP's were offensive players we would be reading about “Mornhinweg’s picks” instead.

Teams known to choose the BAP’s are consistently good teams such as the Packers, Steelers, Giants, to name a few. More recently, the 49’ers and Seahawks can be added to that list. IMO, this is the right way to build a team, though it seems foreign to Jets fans.

I heard a fascinating story on the SiriusXM NFL channel one morning this week. Andrew Brandt was asked about his most memorable draft experiences and he told a story about the Green Bay war room drafting Aaron Rodgers. In 2005 he sat in the war room with GM Ted Thompson watching Rodgers tumbling down the draft board. It was thought that Rodgers would be picked higher but there he was, sitting at the 24th pick. He was far and away the BAP on Green Bay’s draft board, but Green Bay had no need for a QB, having Favre who was one of the most durable QB’s ever. Thompson wanted to pick Rodgers but there was disagreement in the room. They waited fruitlessly for a phone call that never came in order to trade down rather than choosing an unneeded QB. As we all know, they finally chose Rodgers, who sat behind Favre for 3 years.

I can’t think of better story to legitimize Idzik’s philosophy. I have no beef with those who disagree who the BAP is- that is certainly debatable, but those who think we are picking by position have your heads in the sand. Sure Tavon Austin would have been an exciting addition, but in the end BAP is the way to go. I have climbed aboard the Idzik train.
    Very correct, and very prudent.

I feel people understood even LESS about this draft class than they did about Idzik. You'd be happy with yesterday if you understood both - confused if you didn't understand the draft class - and angry if you didn't understand idzik....

Here at JI, we have a few angry AND confused posters.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Very correct, and very prudent.

I feel people understood even LESS about this draft class than they did about Idzik. You'd be happy with yesterday if you understood both - confused if you didn't understand the draft class - and angry if you didn't understand idzik....

Here at JI, we have a few angry AND confused posters.
    That's funny, b/c I'm sure there are some here that feel about you the same way.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Except that neither of them were. And if they were the best on our board then we need to replace the people making the board.
    Says a no it all poster on ji

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today is going to be the most interesting... cause truthfully? Outside of a couple WRs, defense is still the best talent on the board.

By the same measure, Milliner and Richardson should suggest we won't take a QB until the 4 round or so when the talent ACTUALLY meets the value of the pick.

Names to watch; Cyprien, Hunt, Woods, Swearinger
    Are you saying that those of us who would like to actually have some semblance of an offense in 2013 better brace ourselves?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    1) BPA doesn't work when you have no franchise QB

2) BPA is bogus as a theory because it assumes your team's draft board is 100% accurate on who is and isn't better

3) Idzik said Richardson was in Jets top 4 on big board. Something is wrong about that. Or he's lying.
    What a hot bag air you are today...

And no, you're exposing yourself for you loosely you followed the draft this year. I read more than a few times that teams had RICHARDSON atop of their dline boards... i couldn't believe it because i saw better tape on Floyd, but that's what I read. The only people who had Floyd, Star, etc rated in top 5 spots were pundits and posters like us. I didn't hear a lot from scout-talk saying the same thing...

But to say Richardson wasn't on anyone's big 5 board is not true... Cause he was. I didn't believe it when i heard, but turns out that it was no bull

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you saying that those of us who would like to actually have some semblance of an offense in 2013 better brace ourselves?
    Correct. But again, we just now starting get to the point in the draft where skill-players are level with the value of the pick.

Safety, OLB, WR - that's where the boards strongest. Woods, and Ertz are your best shots at seeing an offensive pick. Woods would be sweet.

That's funny, b/c I'm sure there are some here that feel about you the same way.
    lol, why? I told everyone the top half of the draft was strong on dline and we need dline...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Milliner was the top rated DB on EVERY legitimate draft ranking on the planet BUT Mayock who had the nearly dead guy drafted in the high teens rated higher.

A large number had Milliner ranked top 5 and some as high as two.

Killing Idzik for arguably selecting the STEAL of round one is what make our gloomers the gloomers they are

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    Correct. But again, we just now starting get to the point in the draft where skill-players are level with the value of the pick.

Safety, OLB, WR - that's where the boards strongest. Woods, and Ertz are your best shots at seeing an offensive pick. Woods would be sweet.

lol, why? I told everyone the top half of the draft was strong on dline and we need dline...
    Because you have an opposing view ergo they think you're the one confused.

I would prefer Hunter.

(No Geno, no Geno, no Geno)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post

finally, we have a gm who is confident enough to draft like the giants, steelers and ravens.
    Not anymore. Steelers biggest need this year was OLB. They filled it with Jarvis Jones. You can say the same with the Giants upgrading their O-line with Pugh and the Ravens getting Elam to replace hall of famer Ed Reed.
    In this day and age of free agency and teams having no long term control over players - BAP is not the prudent way to go. Once again our organization is stuck in the past, just like last year when we hired Sporano to run our out-dated ground & pound offense.

But if you want to rationalize another horrible 1st round of missed opportunities like we always seem to do - then go ahead. I know better.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like there's been a bit of improvement here overnight with the apparent arrival of a number of sane posters to balance out the immediate knee-jerk gloom and doom crowd that nearly shut down the server last night with their usual barrage of whining, negativity and demands for firings

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Hey Vin... almost everything you ever post is based on unsubstantiated assumptions. It's a real pattern with you. Other than your Braylon fetish.
    What can I say? I'm bored. And I'm still waiting for Idzik to do the right thing and re-sign Braylon.

Quote Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
    I have seen literally, many 1000's of either ridiculously stupid or ridiculously moronic statements posted here. This is in the top 1% of both, congratulations.
    Thank you for your worthless contribution to this thread, Jerk.