Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2d round will be Nassib or *gasp* D again

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

2d round will be Nassib or *gasp* D again

Aside from the QBs, here are the offensive players Scouts Inc. (first number in parens) and Kiper (second) put in their second round mocks last night:

Hunter (34, 41)
    Menelik Watson (36, 57)
    Lacy (37, 46)
    Terron Armstead (38, 62)
    Ertz (42, 34)
    Robert Woods (44, 40)
    Keenan Allen (46, 52)
    Montee Ball (55, 53)
    Aaron Dobson (59)
    Gavin Escobar (60)
    Quinton Patton (62)

That's 2 OTs, 2 TEs, 2 RBs, and 5 WRs. Of course, they didn't accurately predict every player in the second round, so there'll be others drafted in the frame not on this list. But look at that list. Who from it excites you? I want no part of the RBs. The TEs aren't special. The WRs are fungible - it's one of the deepest positions in the draft.

On the defensive side, you've got guys like Swearinger and Cyprien at safety, Carradine, Washington and both Moores at OLB - just better value there.

FWIW, both mocks have Nassib to the Jets

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we go Center

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Aside from the QBs, here are the offensive players Scouts Inc. (first number in parens) and Kiper (second) put in their second round mocks last night:

Hunter (34, 41)
    Menelik Watson (36, 57)
    Lacy (37, 46)
    Terron Armstead (38, 62)
    Ertz (42, 34)
    Robert Woods (44, 40)
    Keenan Allen (46, 52)
    Montee Ball (55, 53)
    Aaron Dobson (59)
    Gavin Escobar (60)
    Quinton Patton (62)

That's 2 OTs, 2 TEs, 2 RBs, and 5 WRs. Of course, they didn't accurately predict every player in the second round, so there'll be others drafted in the frame not on this list. But look at that list. Who from it excites you? I want no part of the RBs. The TEs aren't special. The WRs are fungible - it's one of the deepest positions in the draft.

On the defensive side, you've got guys like Swearinger and Cyprien at safety, Carradine, Washington and both Moores at OLB - just better value there.

I think theres a strong chance they go defense again. Its a rebuild. No guarantee Rex is here next year, no guarantee what the system will be. I think Idzik is going BAP to stock the cupboard with the best available players on their board.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    I think theres a strong chance they go defense again. Its a rebuild. No guarantee Rex is here next year, no guarantee what the system will be. I think Idzik is going BAP to stock the cupboard with the best available players on their board.
    Exactly. I do think Rex is likely back next season, but otherwise, completely agree. Idzik will be taking BAP no matter who they are.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I think we go Center
    ahahaha thats actually pretty funny.

I bet we go LT

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I say we take the best available 290 lb defensive lineman.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly. I do think Rex is likely back next season, but otherwise, completely agree. Idzik will be taking BAP no matter who they are.
    Im with you - I think Rex is back next year too, and want him back. I think its a sound strategy. It may not help the offense this year, but long term, thats how you build a winner.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Hunter (34, 41)
    Menelik Watson (36, 57)
    Lacy (37, 46)
    Terron Armstead (38, 62)
    Ertz (42, 34)
    Robert Woods (44, 40)
    Keenan Allen (46, 52)
    Montee Ball (55, 53)
    Aaron Dobson (59)
    Gavin Escobar (60)
    Quinton Patton (62)

Ertz is a very good player. I can see that as the pick if he is still around. Our other positions of need are G, S QB, and OLB. There was a run on Guards in the 1st so that position is a reach in the 2nd round. I could see one of the Safetys getting taken (Elam?) but another player on D seems like a stretch. I suppose even Nassib or Geno are a possibility for us tomorrow but I'm not sure I want them. Geno seems like he may be a few years from NFL ready and I'm not sold on Nassib after his college HC passed him up to reach for Manuel.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I think we go Center
    'How bout dem Cowboys".

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    Im with you - I think Rex is back next year too, and want him back. I think its a sound strategy. It may not help the offense this year, but long term, thats how you build a winner.
    Honest question-Are you for giving him a contract extension? He will be a lame duck coach next year, it's darn near unprecedented to have your HC coach out his final year of his contract. So either we extend him or we fire him. So the question isn't keeping him for another year, it's keeping him for 3 more years at least (meaning 4 total including this coming season).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Honest question-Are you for giving him a contract extension? He will be a lame duck coach next year, it's darn near unprecedented to have your HC coach out his final year of his contract. So either we extend him or we fire him. So the question isn't keeping him for another year, it's keeping him for 3 more years at least (meaning 4 total including this coming season).
    It doesn't work like that when it comes to coaches... Owners don't care about firing coaches with multiple years left on the contract.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Ertz is a very good player. I can see that as the pick if he is still around. Our other positions of need are G, S QB, and OLB. There was a run on Guards in the 1st so that position is a reach in the 2nd round. I could see one of the Safetys getting taken (Elam?) but another player on D seems like a stretch. I suppose even Nassib or Geno are a possibility for us tomorrow but I'm not sure I want them. Geno seems like he may be a few years from NFL ready and I'm not sold on Nassib after his college HC passed him up to reach for Manuel.
    I like Geno, but I agree that Ertz is probably the pick if he is there. He's well above the other remaining TE prospects, IMHO, while there are still a lot of similarly rated QBs on the board (Geno, Barkley, Nassib, Glennon, Wilson, even Dysert and Scott).

Unless the Jets just love one of the QBs and have to have him, I think Ertz would be a logical pick and a good combination of value meeting need. The Jets could then come back and get a QB in round 3 or 4 without too much of a talent drop-off from guys who may go in the 2nd.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    So the question isn't keeping him for another year, it's keeping him for 3 more years at least (meaning 4 total including this coming season).
    I shudder to think how low this franchise could sink if Rex is around for 3 more years.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Chances are that we go Offense for sure, but if the Jets find an OLB they like, I can see them going that side of the ball once again. Cornelius Washington is a guy the Jets supposedly love (according to CBNY) and a guy that could outperform his college stats. Probably won't make it to the 3rd round so if the Jets don't love Nassib and their top Offensive guys are gone, I wouldn't be surprised at that move at all.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Chances are that we go Offense for sure, but if the Jets find an OLB they like, I can see them going that side of the ball once again. Cornelius Washington is a guy the Jets supposedly love (according to CBNY) and a guy that could outperform his college stats. Probably won't make it to the 3rd round so if the Jets don't love Nassib and their top Offensive guys are gone, I wouldn't be surprised at that move at all.
    If Margus Hunt is still there, I suspect Rex will be banging the table for him.

I actually wouldn't hate that - I think Hunt has immense pass-rush potential. Guy is just one of those athletic freaks.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    give me Lacy or give me Defense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Sounds like you didn't like that pick DD.They'll be a Jet in the backfield disrupting on every down next year

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    It doesn't work like that when it comes to coaches... Owners don't care about firing coaches with multiple years left on the contract.
    This. I wouldnt be surprised to see him get an extension.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    lol

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    it's either nassib, ertz or franklin tonight, in that order, depending on who's there. offense is coming tonight. just wasn't the right move last night.