Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's why Rex went defense yesterday

Here's why Rex went defense yesterday

What the Jets did yesterday made no sense to me until late last night, picking two defensive players when the offense was so terrible last year left most people including the guys from ESPN mystified, but I think I've figured it out, and it has nothing to do with winning this year...

Rex knows this team isn't going to win many games this year, and he also knows he won't be coaching this team in 2014, but there's one thing he can do this season and that's to make sure his defense is a Top 10 defense again SO HE CAN GET HIMSELF ANOTHER DC JOB WHEN THIS SEASON ENDS!

These picks had nothing to do with "needs", these picks were made to ensure that the DEFENSE PERFORMS. The coach is already looking forward to landing his next job and these picks will help him get one. There is no other logic to this... The Jets had glaring offensive line needs yesterday as well as reciever needs and they did NOTHING ABOUT IT! Rex did what he had to do for HIMSELF, not what he had to do for the team. Make my words the Jets will have a bad season and Rex will land another DC job because he'll still post up a Top 10 defense without Revis or Landry.

Yes NOW yesterday makes sense to me... BIGTIME SENSE!

All League
    Rex did not go defense. Idzik did. He did it because they were the BAP's.

uh...no.

rex could land a DC whenever he wants. he doesn't need next season to prove he's good at defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    bingo.

people want to "blame" these picks on Rex, but do you really think a coach on the hot seat wouldn't have preferred to fill some more urgent needs?

I'm sure Rex had input, and he loves DLs and CBs, but the picks last night were all about increasing the talent base on the team, not necessarily plugging holes.

We were dead last in offense last season! What the hell do these picks do to improve that? This draft so far has Rex Ryan's fingerprints all over it and we know why.

BYE REX! ENJOY YOUR TIME IN TAMPA NEXT YEAR! SAY HELLO TO DARRELLE FOR US! SURE YOU CAN HAVE COPLES IF YOU WANT HIM AND HALF OUR OTHER DECENT D PLAYERS TOO!

YOU DO NOT HAVE THIS BOY FOOLED SIR!

Veteran
    This thread could compete in the special olympics

what if they want the offense to be bad to ensure a top 5 pick to ensure we get bridgewater or mazel without having to trade up. This way when we get our qb he will have a rock solid defense giving up minimal points

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    What the Jets did yesterday made no sense to me until late last night, picking two defensive players when the offense was so terrible last year left most people including the guys from ESPN mystified, but I think I've figured it out, and it has nothing to do with winning this year...

Rex knows this team isn't going to win many games this year, and he also knows he won't be coaching this team in 2014, but there's one thing he can do this season and that's to make sure his defense is a Top 10 defense again SO HE CAN GET HIMSELF ANOTHER DC JOB WHEN THIS SEASON ENDS!

These picks had nothing to do with "needs", these picks were made to ensure that the DEFENSE PERFORMS. The coach is already looking forward to landing his next job and these picks will help him get one. There is no other logic to this... The Jets had glaring offensive line needs yesterday as well as reciever needs and they did NOTHING ABOUT IT! Rex did what he had to do for HIMSELF, not what he had to do for the team. Make my words the Jets will have a bad season and Rex will land another DC job because he'll still post up a Top 10 defense without Revis or Landry.

Wrong. Nice try though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    bingo.

people want to "blame" these picks on Rex, but do you really think a coach on the hot seat wouldn't have preferred to fill some more urgent needs?

I'm sure Rex had input, and he loves DLs and CBs, but the picks last night were all about increasing the talent base on the team, not necessarily plugging holes.
    This.

The people b!tching today are the same ones who want us to draft more like the Giants. We did exactly what the Giants would have done in that situation.

"Good players, terrible picks."

A contradictive statement if I ever saw one. The draft is about bringing in good players, not filling holes on your roster. If the players that were picked are good, then they aren't bad picks.

When you draft to fill holes, you end up reaching for lesser players, and miss on the good ones.

We were dead last in offense last season! What the hell do these picks do to improve that? This draft so far has Rex Ryan's fingerprints all over it and we know why.

BYE REX! ENJOY YOUR TIME IN TAMPA NEXT YEAR! SAY HELLO TO DARRELLE FOR US! SURE YOU CAN HAVE COPLES IF YOU WANT HIM AND HALF OUR OTHER DECENT D PLAYERS TOO!

YOU DO NOT HAVE THIS BOY FOOLED SIR!
    You appear to be fooled already

The picks were made for BPA, that is the way you draft in the first round. When Austin went of the board, there were no offensive players worth of #9, and then an argument could be made about Warmack at #13, but he was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourceworx View Post
    This.

The people b!tching today are the same ones who want us to draft more like the Giants. We did exactly what the Giants would have done in that situation.

"Good players, terrible picks."

A contradictive statement if I ever saw one. The draft is about bringing in good players, not filling holes on your roster. If the players that were picked are good, then they aren't bad picks.

When you draft to fill holes, you end up reaching for lesser players, and miss on the good ones.
    The Giants' pick last night was questionable by their standards.

Surprised the Jets went both defense yesterday but you have to see what happens by training camp. They're going to have to concentrate on offense at some point before camp though.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    You appear to be fooled already

The picks were made for BPA, that is the way you draft in the first round. When Austin went of the board, there were no offensive players worth of #9, and then an argument could be made about Warmack at #13, but he was gone.
    This. We're finally moving away from reaching with our picks to fill a need. There are so many holes on this team and a lack of QUALITY depth. This draft was D heavy in the first round - 18 picks were on the defensive side. 9 of the 14 offensive picks were lineman, including 5 tackles. The only players I would've touched on O were Austin, Warmack, Cooper and Eifert. 2 of those 4 were off the board before we even picked, and Warmack was gone before 13. I liked Eifert, but not in the top 15. The 2nd and 3rd rounds have much more offensive value picks, and we can look at Kelce or Ertz at TE, Stedman Bailey at WR, Lacy at RB (although I hope an Ivory trade works out) just to name a few. As much as I don't want a QB, Geno, Nassib and Glennon are still there as well. I think we did well with our first picks by sticking with our board and going BPA - its what the Super Bowl winners do.

What it simply comes down to is that the Offensive talent wasn't good.

No 1st round QBs (EJ Manuel bumped by Bills desperation)
    No 1st round RBs
    1 1st round WR (who was 5'8" 175 - dangerously small for a first round WR, and not available to Jets)
    1 First round TE - who based on what I see is similar to Dustin Keller of all people

THey could have drafted a guard, but obviously he was not nearly as highly rated. The Jets do need skill position players, but they shouldn't reach for one. They could have traded down, but to trade down 9 spots, they probably only would have gotten a 3rd in return. trading down, just to draft a 3rd rounder and a offensive skill player doesn't seem worthwhile. Just draft the best available player and acknowledge that this draft was incredibly weak for offensive skill positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    Seriously, all you have to do is watch the press conference. Idzik is VERY happy with his picks. HIS picks. And he is totally bought into his BPA philosophy.

It's refreshing to see.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

If they have a top 10 D, they aren't going to win the SB, but it will compensate for some of the O's shortcomings and entertain while they build the O, and team this year, next year, and the year after that. And if they do have a top 10 D with it's youth, look out when the O comes around. Rex is not doing it for your reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    What it simply comes down to is that the Offensive talent wasn't good.

No 1st round QBs (EJ Manuel bumped by Bills desperation)
    No 1st round RBs
    1 1st round WR (who was 5'8" 175 - dangerously small for a first round WR, and not available to Jets)
    1 First round TE - who based on what I see is similar to Dustin Keller of all people

THey could have drafted a guard, but obviously he was not nearly as highly rated. The Jets do need skill position players, but they shouldn't reach for one. They could have traded down, but to trade down 9 spots, they probably only would have gotten a 3rd in return. trading down, just to draft a 3rd rounder and a offensive skill player doesn't seem worthwhile. Just draft the best available player and acknowledge that this draft was incredibly weak for offensive skill positions.

Austin
    Eiffert
    Manuel
    Patterson
    Hopkins
    ...and an unprecedented amount of Olinemen.

Yup.

Agreed, the offensive depth of this draft was definitely pathetic.

All Pro
    Who was there to take on offense?

You can say, "Rex only wants defensive players", but if there is NO ONE to draft on offense, what should he have done? Milliner is a good pick at the spot, and who else at 13? I'm glad they didn't force a WR or TE there, and there were no guards to take at 13.

Do I love it? No. But if that's how the board falls, that's how the board falls.

Does it occur to anyone that this offense is going to GARGLE BALLS next season if nothing is done to fix this offensive line?

IT'S GONNA GARGLE BALLS!!!

And we pick a DT at #13???

ARRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Idzic was taken to school by the Rams. Everyone knew that the Jets coveted Austin and that the Rams coveted Austin. Idzik stayed pat and lost the most dyanamic skill player in the draft.