Thread: Seven Teams Before Us in Rd. 2...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Seven Teams Before Us in Rd. 2...

I know it's hard to speculate in too much detail and that further trades are possible, but here's where things stand before our pick right now:

33. Jacksonville. Went OT. they need a QB, DE, CB, S. (Smith, Barkley, Nassib, Hunt, Cyprien)

34. San Francisco. Went Safety. They need a TE, DE, LB. (Ertz, Hunt, Moore)

35. Eagles. Went OT. They need a QB, NT, DE (Smith, Barkley, Nassib, Hunt, Short, Carradine)

36. Detroit. Went OLB. They need OL, WR, DE (Watson, Hunt, Warford, Carradine)

37. Bengals. Went TE. They need a RB, OL, DE. LB, S (Lacy, Warford, Watson, Hunt, Cyprien, Moore, Carradine)

38. Arizona. Went Guard. They need a LB, S, (QB?) (Moore, Cyprien, Washington, Carradine)

I think what jumps out here is that probably only the Bengals would go after a RB like Lacy. None of these teams is likely to target WR, so Allen, Hunter, and Woods will all be likely there for us. Someone like Collins could be there, although a bit of a reach. If Jax and the Eagles go QB, that would open up things on the DE/OLB and Safety fronts. I hope we do not go QB in Rd 2. Keenan Allen is probably the best choice for us, as I think TE can wait.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ertz to San Fran could happen because he played with Harbaugh at Stanford. The problem for me is that we still need a WR/SAF/TE/OLB and I just don't see how we do that. We better leave this draft with at least a solid tight end and a wide receiver.

It almost makes sense to try to trade back that 2nd round pick so we can get another pick later. We still have 4 areas of need that I'd like to address before we get to our 5th round pick. I am actually hoping that we do not go QB in this draft.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's comforting to know that Tanny's not here to trade a 3rd & 5th to move up to Jax spot at 33.

Stay patient Idzy!

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't it just six?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by titanbuoy View Post
    Isn't it just six?
    I have six toes... yup, it's six. Hey, that's an improvement right there!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyWill View Post
    Ertz to San Fran could happen because he played with Harbaugh at Stanford. The problem for me is that we still need a WR/SAF/TE/OLB and I just don't see how we do that. We better leave this draft with at least a solid tight end and a wide receiver.

It almost makes sense to try to trade back that 2nd round pick so we can get another pick later. We still have 4 areas of need that I'd like to address before we get to our 5th round pick. I am actually hoping that we do not go QB in this draft.
    That's what most teams do, chase their tales yr to yr trying to patch all their holes in 1 draft..picking position and not value.. I like what izdik is doing, he is going for high value. We all agreed we weren't expecting much out of this yr, so think of the 14 draft also to patch the holes.. Say we get a FS, guard, and another position that are quality, we address the rest next yr.. Assuming we aren't going to lose players that we don't want to lose, atleast not like this yr we will have cap room.. we can draft qb 1st next yr, and use 2nd, 3rd, 3rd to get very quality players in areas we missed this yr even before we get to the 4th rd.. Plus next yr with a lot of cap we can sign a few good FAs.. I think this is what izdik is trying to do, not playing mortgage the future every yr like tanny..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyWill View Post

You can't look at it like that... If you think that picking a guy in round 4 based on need is going to plug a hole then you have the wrong idea on what the draft is.

Most of these guys, especially during day 3 are not even going to be a blip on the NFL radar.

Assuming guys could start when you take them in the 3rd round is a HUGE assumption. That coming from someone who likes quite a few guys that will be around.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey I agree with Idzik's drafting strategy but I just see some areas that I'd like to address a little bit. I don't mind if he goes BPA by any means because that's how you're supposed to draft in the Jets situation. I'll be the first to tell you that Eifert would have been a reach pick.

I'm not going to argue with Idzik because he knows more than I do. The scary thought I have is if we draft Geno Smith in round 2.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The bad news - We still have a ton of needs.

The good news - Because of all those needs it's a GUARANTEE that there will be a player (or several) available when we pick at 39 who can help us.

Sit tight. Someone will fall to us. The big dilemma won't be that there's no one available at 39, it's that we'll have to choose between 2 or 3 guys we really want there at 39.

My guess is this will be the most unpredictable pick of the draft for the Jets.

We'll go on the clock at 39 and this messageboard will be pounding the table for like 5 different guys....a WR, Safety, OG, OLB, and even a QB.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 04-26-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    33. Jacksonville. Barkley - Nassib - Banks - Poyer

34. San Francisco. Hunt - Ertz

35. Eagles. Geno - Poyer - Taylor

36. Detroit. - Watson - Armstead - Poyer/Alford/Taylor

37. Bengals. - Arthur Brown - Cyprian - Lacy

38. Arizona. - Cyprien - Ertz - Watson - Armstead

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post

Like I said, no WR's... and if two QB's go off the board we'll have a lot of choices...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Like I said, no WR's... and if two QB's go off the board we'll have a lot of choices...
    39 is gonna be a "can't believe this guy is available pick!"
    Especially if 2 QBs go of the board.

39 is a sweet spot, but it's gonna be hard to choose.
    This might be where we trade back, there are going to be a lot of good players there.
    I don't want to trade back to far but if we can get Woods in the 2nd (holmes replacement), Swearinger & Kelce in the 3rd if we can obtain another one, this draft would be one of our best ever!
    Milliner
    Richardson
    Woods
    Swearinger
    Kelce
    4,5,6,7 BPA- hopefully guard, LB

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's what i would love to see today

[QUOTE=K-Ro 25;4872691]

33. Jacksonville : Matt Barkley

34. San Francisco : Jesse Williams

35. Eagles : Geno Smith

36. Detroit : Jamar Taylor

37. Bengals : Eddie Lacy

38. Arizona : Ryan Nassib

39. Jets : Trade Down

I want all these QBs gone before we pick

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tinstar;4872868]

33. Jacksonville : Matt Barkley

34. San Francisco : Jesse Williams

35. Eagles : Geno Smith

36. Detroit : Jamar Taylor

37. Bengals : Eddie Lacy

38. Arizona : Ryan Nassib

39. Jets : Trade Down

I want all these QBs gone before we pick
    I agree with you. But Glennon in the third isn't terrible. I really hope the Jets give themselves an offensive "weapon" in round 2. They'll be there... but no QB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;4872962]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post

I agree with you. But Glennon in the third isn't terrible. I really hope the Jets give themselves an offensive "weapon" in round 2. They'll be there... but no QB.
    Nah, I don't want Glennon at all for this team. I want a QB who will demand respect for 1 of 2 reasons.

I want either Tyler Bray because he's a strong arm self centered nuckle head who's so sure of himself it's criminal ( Jay Cutler), or Zac Dysert because he's a Book-Worn above average arm student of the game whose knowledge of the scheme and humility will be something no player can disrespect (Chad Pennington).

Dysert has a better arm than Pennington and Bray has the best arm in this draft.

These are the guys i want to go after tomorrow along with a guy like this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWCAavZMJBY

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't take SF out of the Geno lotto here. I like Colt but he isnt a Keapernick clone by any means. Low risk pick I'd say him and Cyprian make the most sense to them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What about Jonathan Franklin? Seems to me we could use a serious RB and save that Ivory pick for something else. Too early?