Thread: Mock drafts are such a waste of time

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Mock drafts are such a waste of time

I'm not talking about what you guys do here for fun, because prognosticating for ****s and giggles is enjoyable. I'm talking about the ******* "experts" like Mel Kiper. This ****ing guy works 6 weeks out of the year, has the same haircut he first got in 1983, and yells at the TV cameras with such an authority that you'd think God inscribed his mock draft for him on stone tablets. After weeks of droning on about crap no one in the real world cares about, we had a draft that was compromised of all o-lineman and defensive players. No Geno Smith. No Manti Imaginary Girlfriend. Nothing that resemled an "expert" draft of any kind.

I don't know what Mel Kiper pulls down in a year, but I guarantee he's overpaid. The draft has gone from a quirky, fanatic's wet dream to a circus designed to appeal to the lowest common deninator.

Jets Insider VIP
    Count Chocula doesn't know sh*t

Mayock is hands down the best draft analyst out there IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I'm not talking about what you guys do here for fun, because prognosticating for ****s and giggles is enjoyable. I'm talking about the ******* "experts" like Mel Kiper. This ****ing guy works 6 weeks out of the year, has the same haircut he first got in 1983, and yells at the TV cameras with such an authority that you'd think God inscribed his mock draft for him on stone tablets. After weeks of droning on about crap no one in the real world cares about, we had a draft that was compromised of all o-lineman and defensive players. No Geno Smith. No Manti Imaginary Girlfriend. Nothing that resemled an "expert" draft of any kind.

I don't know what Mel Kiper pulls down in a year, but I guarantee he's overpaid. The draft has gone from a quirky, fanatic's wet dream to a circus designed to appeal to the lowest common deninator.
    Actually, they start their research for next year's draft in TWO WEEKS!

FVCK THAT! What a waste!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Count Chocula doesn't know sh*t

Mayock is hands down the best draft analyst out there IMO.
    So true. Mayock actually does film study and watches tape, Kiper gets most of his info second hand and from other sources.

That's why I paid attention to exactly zero mock drafts and looked up exactly one college player (Honey Badger). It's a complete waste. Look up the player after the draft. It saves wasted thought.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    So true. Mayock actually does film study and watches tape, Kiper gets most of his info second hand and from other sources.
    Does Kiper even do anything else??

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    Does Kiper even do anything else??
    I dont think so.

Mel Kiper's net worth is supposedly around $7 million. Not sure what he generally makes per year.

For all his faults, he deserves credit for coining the use of "a/an" as a synonym for "someone like", e.g., "Instead of drafting Terry Glenn, the Patriots could have traded down and drafted a Marvin Harrison, an Eddie Kennison or an Eric Moulds." You just can't put a price on such linguistic innovations.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    Mel Kiper's net worth is supposedly around $7 million. Not sure what he generally makes per year.

For all his faults, he deserves credit for coining the use of "a/an" as a synonym for "someone like", e.g., "Instead of drafting Terry Glenn, the Patriots could have traded down and drafted a Marvin Harrison, an Eddie Kennison or an Eric Moulds." You just can't put a price on such linguistic innovations.
    Great, so he also butchered the English language.

In medieval times someone of such little societal worth would have been eaten by now.

All Pro
    I got 1 right.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post

Can we start doing that with posters?

"I thought he was going to be a CMart, but instead we ended up with a Southside."?

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Can we start doing that with posters?

"I thought he was going to be a CMart, but instead we ended up with a Southside."?
    Another Tanny Bust®

Jets Insider VIP

You're getting cranky in your old age.

Step back, take a deep breath..... and look at yourself.

You're starting threads and using profanity to complain about mock drafts.

Mock drafts!

I applaud you. You're maturing as a Jets fan. You have been assimilated and now carry a cane to shake at the world.

Do me a favor. Go out for an early dinner....forget about the draft. Order a nice bowl of soup....and then b!tch at the adorable waitress that the soup is too cold and Mel Kiper had you expecting the soup would be a "game changer"!

Bewildered Beast
    Shirley, your not

MOCKING THE MOCK

I like a mock turtle neck sometime; in a ginsberg mood. I'm no pipe-smoker, though.

what about Mock Draft Power Rankings?

are those cool?

you know, people work VERY HARD on those.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    Another Tanny Bust®
    Hey. Knock it off.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post

You're getting cranky in your old age.

Step back, take a deep breath..... and look at yourself.

You're starting threads and using profanity to complain about mock drafts.

Mock drafts!

I applaud you. You're maturing as a Jets fan. You have been assimilated and now carry a cane to shake at the world.

Do me a favor. Go out for an early dinner....forget about the draft. Order a nice bowl of soup....and then b!tch at the adorable waitress that the soup is too cold and Mel Kiper had you expecting the soup would be a "game changer"!

I was born to be a cane shaker.

Mel Kiper is a broadcaster not an expert on the draft....well no more than you or I are.

The Internet has changed all that for these guys because we can now see enough of these college players in action to draw our own conclusions.

Mayock I rate,he seems to know his onions

Jets Insider VIP
    It's entertainment and we all get carried away with it. There are 10 guys on this board ready to declare war on each other. A lot of football is coaching. If players buy into a system they will try harder and excell more.

Mel Kiper knows his stuff but he has become too full of himself; I enjoy listening to him every year but I take everything with a grain of salt.