Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 94

Thread: For those who think our D was upgraded yesterday

  1. #21
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,033
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Idzik is drafting like a guy who has a franchise QB and can afford luxury picks.
    No, he's drafting like a guy who has a depleted roster, and is therefore picking his BPA, regardless of position.

    Prior to the draft, I don't think any of us expected, or wanted, the Jets to go CB/DL in the 1st round, but really- what are the other options? Take a huge gamble on a QB? Draft OG/TE? Grab Jones? There weren't any offensive play makers there for the taking at 9/13 and the trade down market was really weak.. the Jets would've picked up another 2nd round pick at most..

    I wasn't happy last night, but the Jets drafted two guys who were both rated among (if not) the best at their positions, and two guys who were slated to be drafted in the top half of the first round. It doesn't solve all of their problems in 2013, but it does give them two premium talents on their roster.

  2. #22
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,448
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Frankly I think Idzik gave Rex enough rope to hang himself with.
    Certainly a possibility.

  3. #23
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,033
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    The more I look at it, the more I'm okay with it.

    You'd be hard pressed to find someone on this board that wanted to go offense more than I did.

    Warmack/Eifert was my preferred scenario weeks before the draft and there it was for the taking.

    But Milliner really is a damn good CB prospect and Richardson has all the potential in the world.

    I really think the Jets are going to be able to get after the QB this season for the first time in forever. Wilkerson, Coples, Richardson, Barnes, etc.

    Say what you want about Rex, but the guy damn sure knows defensive talent and how to get the best out of said talent.

    As long as we pick up a WR/TE and an interior OL within the next 2-3 rounds, I'm fine with it.
    I'm glad that you've come around. I think we all were in shock last night.

  4. #24
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    209
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets are clearly going BPA. Milliner is an upgrade over Wilson and Richardson is a beast with a motor that doesn't quit. Both of them helped our defense in the following ways.

    1. Milliner on Julio Jones/Roddy White > Wilson on Julio Jones/Roddy White
    2. Sheldon Richardson causes disruption along the line and can both rush the passer and be effective in the run game. Be prepared to see him 10-15 yards down the field tackling a RB.
    3. Milliner is actually pretty good at working off his blocks and making a play on the RB. We need this considering our 26th ranked pass defense last year.
    4. A line of Wilkerson, Ellis, Richardson, & Coples will cause headaches for every D-coordinator in the league. We are obviously going to have more 4-3 fronts and this is just a ridiculous line.

    The only beef I have is that I would have liked to trade down, but the Jets grabbed 2 one-of-a-kind players with their first 2 picks. They are rare talents who will be ready to go day 1. We not only helped our secondary but also our front 7. If you think this doesn't help our defense then you just don't get it.

    And how do you complain about a defense that's consistently in the top 10? Just because we move down several slots a year doesn't necessarily mean it's all their fault. Remember all the turnovers they have to deal with and the amount of times they cause the opposing team to go 3-and-out and save our ass.
    Last edited by CoreyWill; 04-26-2013 at 10:59 AM.

  5. #25
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,124
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    As you should be.

    I really wanted to Warmack too, but I don't have much ground in argument to pass on Dee for him. Injuries aside, Dee was one of few top tier talents.

    Richardson was just flat out a far better prospect than anyone else on the board. I mean, I felt Star and Shariff were better, but I'm on computer - the position was right, just different name.

    This always going to be defensive heavy draft up top.
    Good call with the D line pick. You were one of the few that felt it warranted a first round pick and was actually a need.

  6. #26
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    7,795
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Has anyone even considered the possibility that Idzik, a rookie GM with a lot of pressure on him and a power-hungry loudmouthed head coach to contend with that he didn't hire... screwed up this draft? Will anyone at least consider that possibility?

    I mean, what track record does this guy have to make people think he's some draft guru? The same scouts who loved Kyle Wilson now picked Milliner. I mean, why are people so confident we just drafted Champ Bailey and Warren Sapp?
    No. I'll consider that you never understood this draft, or our roster... cause you didn't. You and half of JI rattled your swords for some round 2 grade offensive weapons, and now you're crying cause you didn't get your toys.

    Boohoo.
    Last edited by Paradis; 04-26-2013 at 10:59 AM.

  7. #27
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Cocoa beach FL
    Posts
    591
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SlickBri481;4872253]Has anyone even considered the possibility that Idzik, a rookie GM with a lot of pressure on him and a power-hungry loudmouthed head coach to contend with that he didn't hire... screwed up this draft? Will anyone at least consider that possibility?


    Or a rookie GM has a 2 year vision and stuck with it regardless of what a bunch or loudmouth commentators and ill informed fans think?

    We need help at EVERY position. He stuck to his board and took the two best BPA. Today he will take the 2 BPA.

    everyone was so in love with Mingo and Austins film and upside they over look the fact that they are both luxury high risk picks. we are not in a position to draft that right now. Sharif Floyd isnt half the player Richardson is. I do not see why the media fell in love with him. There is a reason he slid.

  8. #28
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,448
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    No. I'll consider that you never understood this draft, or our roster... cause you didn't. You and half of JI rattled your swords for some round 2 grade offensive weapons, and now you're crying cause you didn't get your toys.

    Boohoo.
    I do understand our roster. Idzik is the one who came in, evaluated it, then decided to add to positions of strength.

    I can't wait to hear you cry all next season about how awful we are. I better not hear a single complaint from you. I'll be all over that.

  9. #29
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,806
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look ... I think we did add weight and depth to our D ... no question. I would have preferred one of those picks be a rusher ... but they are both good talent.

    I think Idzik is solidifying the D this year ... will Draft a QB and WR next year when Rexchez is gone.

    This way the QB and WR can grow together as tandem.

  10. #30
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,448
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's funny is if we get blown out weeks 1 and 2, every single poster defending Rex, Idzik, etc. will be throwing a fit and flipping out about how bad we are.

    Don't rag on the few of us who are prescient enough to see in April that this organization is headed nowhere fast just because it might take you until September and seeing some of the games play out.

  11. #31
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Revis didn't play last year. So how is it that Milliner "replaced" him?
    LOL THIS!

    Die hard Jets fans that don't realize that Revis was out for most of last year, was traded away and that Milliner is replacing Wilson.

  12. #32
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,124
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I do understand our roster. Idzik is the one who came in, evaluated it, then decided to add to positions of strength.

    I can't wait to hear you cry all next season about how awful we are. I better not hear a single complaint from you. I'll be all over that.
    LOL...who really thinks that the Jets were going to be good this season?

    Plus I am not sure how you think CB is not a need considering Cromartie will be 30 years old in 2014 and scheduled to have a cap number of 14.98 million, and the other CB is Kyle fuc*ing Wilson.

  13. #33
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    As you should be.

    I really wanted to Warmack too, but I don't have much ground in an argument to pass on Dee for him. Injuries aside, Dee was one of few top tier talents.

    Richardson was just flat out a far better prospect than anyone else on the board. I mean, I felt Star and Shariff were better, but I'm on a computer - the position was right, just different name.

    This always going to be defensive heavy draft up top.
    Well said, respect your oppinions on the draft as you are one of the few that seem to actually watch College games and follow the draft process for months. As opposed to many people here that just want the Jets to take the best player off Kipers big board.

  14. #34
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,448
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also interesting is that every smug poster right now assumes the 2014 draft will be this:

    1. Franchise QB
    2. Stud WR
    3. Stud RB/stud OL

    Just like these same smug posters ALL predicted that we would go CB/DL yesterday. We did exactly what they thought we would. They're great at knowing the future, so we need not worry because 2014 draft is all set. And here I was worried about this team

  15. #35
    Schluberator & Gadfly
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    25,690
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nclion View Post

    Or a rookie GM has a 2 year vision and stuck with it regardless of what a bunch or loudmouth commentators and ill informed fans think?

    We need help at EVERY position. He stuck to his board and took the two best BPA. Today he will take the 2 BPA.

    everyone was so in love with Mingo and Austins film and upside they over look the fact that they are both luxury high risk picks. we are not in a position to draft that right now. Sharif Floyd isnt half the player Richardson is. I do not see why the media fell in love with him. There is a reason he slid.
    I realize this is falling on deaf ears, b/c not one poster on this board has addressed it, BUT BAP (or BPA) is subjective, iow your BAP may not be the same as mine. And apparently that's what happened with the #13 pick yesterday. The one fact that remains is, this is an offensive league now, and yesterday we didn't do anything to better our offense. Look at all those O-lineman that flew off the board. Doesn't that tell you something? Hopefully the rest of the draft won't be using BAP b/c it seems that it's pro-defense and forget the offense.

  16. #36
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,619
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Has anyone even considered the possibility that Idzik, a rookie GM with a lot of pressure on him and a power-hungry loudmouthed head coach to contend with that he didn't hire... screwed up this draft? Will anyone at least consider that possibility?

    I mean, what track record does this guy have to make people think he's some draft guru? The same scouts who loved Kyle Wilson now picked Milliner. I mean, why are people so confident we just drafted Champ Bailey and Warren Sapp?
    it's also possible that he didn't screw up.

    it's possible that the guy who was part of rebuilding the Bucs, Cardinals and Seahawks into winning franchises maybe knows what he's doing.

    we should even consider the possibility that they know slightly more about the prospects and how they fit with the team's future plans than we do.



    i mean, POSSIBLY.

  17. #37
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    209
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we took Eifert over Richardson I'd be more pissed than I am today. This is a deep TE class and you just don't find D-linemen like Richardson deep in the draft.

    If we go Ertz/Rogers/Evans with our next 3 picks and then trade the 5th for Ivory, then we upgraded both sides of the ball drastically and came away with a great draft IMO. Let everything play out before you think Marty is going crazy. He probably has his eyes on some guys in the later rounds.

  18. #38
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    209
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Also interesting is that every smug poster right now assumes the 2014 draft will be this:

    1. Franchise QB
    2. Stud WR
    3. Stud RB/stud OL

    Just like these same smug posters ALL predicted that we would go CB/DL yesterday. We did exactly what they thought we would. They're great at knowing the future, so we need not worry because 2014 draft is all set. And here I was worried about this team
    And you're the same one that thinks adding 2 dominating players in the SEC to your defense in the first round doesn't make it better. You're complaining about our D ALMOST falling out of the top 10 under Rex. You also compared Milliner to Revis about as fast as you could even though Revis played in 2.5 games last year. Come on man we went best player available and didn't get the splashy pick and I'm happy about that.

  19. #39
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    209
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    it's also possible that he didn't screw up.

    it's possible that the guy who was part of rebuilding the Bucs, Cardinals and Seahawks into winning franchises maybe knows what he's doing.

    we should even consider the possibility that they know slightly more about the prospects and how they fit with the team's future plans than we do.



    i mean, POSSIBLY.
    NO! US JET FANS KNOW MORE THAN IDZIK WHO HAS DONE IT FOR YEARS AND BEEN SUCCESSFUL AT IT! THAT'S PREPOSTEROUS FOR YOU TO EVEN THINK LIKE THAT!!!!

  20. #40
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9,200
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    I realize this is falling on deaf ears, b/c not one poster on this board has addressed it, BUT BAP (or BPA) is subjective, iow your BAP may not be the same as mine. And apparently that's what happened with the #13 pick yesterday. The one fact that remains is, this is an offensive league now, and yesterday we didn't do anything to better our offense. Look at all those O-lineman that flew off the board. Doesn't that tell you something? Hopefully the rest of the draft won't be using BAP b/c it seems that it's pro-defense and forget the offense.
    What skill position offensive talent would you have preferred after Austin flew off the board in slot 8? Hopkins? (9 & 13 too early, IMO). Eifert? (IMO decent TE prospect but bottom 1st round talent at best, maybe early 2d). Obviously none of the RBs because none of them are even 2d round talent, let alone 1st. That leaves you with Oline. Warmack to be precise. I would have liked getting Warmack as much as Richardson to tell you the truth, but I guess Idzik felt the drop off in talent at DT was worse in the later rounds than for OG. The 2013 draft is unusual in that the top talent did not include much in the way of offensive skill positions. QB, RB, WR, TE all are deeper in the middle of this draft but little to none near the top. At the top there was a nice group of D-linemen, Milliner and Olinemen as well as Austin. Ches... you have to look at the circumstances within which we were drafting. If we passed on a Julio Jones, Tony Gonzalez or Aaron Rodgers, I would have been pissed. But we didn't.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us