Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: For those who think our D was upgraded yesterday

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Has anyone even considered the possibility that Idzik, a rookie GM with a lot of pressure on him and a power-hungry loudmouthed head coach to contend with that he didn't hire... screwed up this draft? Will anyone at least consider that possibility?

I mean, what track record does this guy have to make people think he's some draft guru? The same scouts who loved Kyle Wilson now picked Milliner. I mean, why are people so confident we just drafted Champ Bailey and Warren Sapp?
    LOL. Same scouts seem to have gotten it right with Revis, Coples and Wilkerson, too. And for a late first round pick, Wilson is playing okay. Not up to standard, but not a bust, either.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    So who decides the criteria for BAP?
    The GM and the scouts. They can be wrong - if you think another player was better overall, feel free to hold that position. But to act like the GM is crazy because he didn't draft for need is ridiculous

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyWill View Post
    If we took Eifert over Richardson I'd be more pissed than I am today. This is a deep TE class and you just don't find D-linemen like Richardson deep in the draft.

If we go Ertz/Rogers/Evans with our next 3 picks and then trade the 5th for Ivory, then we upgraded both sides of the ball drastically and came away with a great draft IMO. Let everything play out before you think Marty is going crazy. He probably has his eyes on some guys in the later rounds.
    Star, Floyd, and Sly Williams were all on the board too when the Jets made that pick. It's not like Sheldon was the last of intriguing D-Lineman when they selected him. I actually wanted them to take Jarvis Jones because I thought he was an outside pass rusher they really needed. Reminded me when Suggs slipped a little in the draft because of his slow 40 time.

The question that no one is bringing up is how the hell is Sheldon Richardson in their top 4 overall players?? He's a 295 lbs DT...how does that fit in with a 3-4 scheme. I don't know, I just don't believe in taking rotational d-lineman in the first round.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    LOL. Same scouts seem to have gotten it right with Revis, Coples and Wilkerson, too. And for a late first round pick, Wilson is playing okay. Not up to standard, but not a bust, either.
    Wilson playing OK only underscores the stupidity of wasting a top 10 pick on a corner.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilson playing OK only underscores the stupidity of wasting a top 10 pick on a corner.
    I dispute the notion that Wilson plays ok. He is a huge disappointment considering where he was drafted.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL...so what about a 30 year old Cromartie with a 14.98 million dollar cap number??

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's funny is if we get blown out weeks 1 and 2, every single poster defending Rex, Idzik, etc. will be throwing a fit and flipping out about how bad we are.

Don't rag on the few of us who are prescient enough to see in April that this organization is headed nowhere fast just because it might take you until September and seeing some of the games play out.
    I think it's laughable that you believe:

1) That the draft is about making this team better for 2013; and

2) That there were players available that would have made this team competitive on offense in 2013

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    LOL...so what about a 30 year old Cromartie with a 14.98 million dollar cap number??
    Jets can replace strength with strength from now until the end of time, the team will still be garbage if other important units on the team are continually ignored.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Yawn. I give up. Some people are just unable to be helped.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also interesting is that every smug poster right now assumes the 2014 draft will be this:

1. Franchise QB
    2. Stud WR
    3. Stud RB/stud OL

Just like these same smug posters ALL predicted that we would go CB/DL yesterday. We did exactly what they thought we would. They're great at knowing the future, so we need not worry because 2014 draft is all set. And here I was worried about this team
    Yeah and we'll have the first 3 picks. What do you do when you have #3 overall next year and Bridgewater and Lee are off the board?

You have to take Clowney. Which nobody is considering because the Head Coach, GM, and owner all for some reason think this team has a prayer at winning more than 3 games without ANY IMPROVEMENTS TO THE OFFENSE AT ALL.

So then we have 1/3rd of the cap tied to the d-line and no QB or offensive talent beyond Jeremy Kerley worth talking about at all.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets can replace strength with strength from now until the end of time, the team will still be garbage if other important units on the team are continually ignored.
    You need to get a grip and take a Valium.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    The GM and the scouts. They can be wrong - if you think another player was better overall, feel free to hold that position. But to act like the GM is crazy because he didn't draft for need is ridiculous
    Agreed. I'm sure there was some criteria that made them go that way, but for now it doesn't make sense. Maybe when the draft is done, it will. The pundits think there will be a lot of FA signings after this too, so maybe we fill in the rest of the gaps that way.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    Yawn. I give up. Some people are just unable to be helped.
    You'd think a longtime Jet fan would know better than to be blindly optimistic about a highly questionable draft strategy. Some of our fans never cease to amaze me.

For future reference, if your team does something questionable and your gut reaction is that it's stupid, you know what? It probably is stupid.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Day after draft, allowed to rant. Draft was unquestioned high point of 2013 for Jets, this is our Super Bowl. We're allowed to question faking a punt from our own 10 yard line in the 1st quarter.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hate to break it to you but not even our gm thinks were contending next year..Its a rebuild and this year and next well go a long way in detrmining where we are as a franchise..

So if you're a fan who has no patience and wants the team to somehow be very good next year when we're devoid of any talent then youre gonna be disappointed..

This is gonna take a few years..Its foolish to not draft bpa and draft for "need' when we're so far away from contending..no need pick would make us magically good next year

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    What skill position offensive talent would you have preferred after Austin flew off the board in slot 8? Hopkins? (9 & 13 too early, IMO). Eifert? (IMO decent TE prospect but bottom 1st round talent at best, maybe early 2d). Obviously none of the RBs because none of them are even 2d round talent, let alone 1st. That leaves you with Oline. Warmack to be precise. I would have liked getting Warmack as much as Richardson to tell you the truth, but I guess Idzik felt the drop off in talent at DT was worse in the later rounds than for OG. The 2013 draft is unusual in that the top talent did not include much in the way of offensive skill positions. QB, RB, WR, TE all are deeper in the middle of this draft but little to none near the top. At the top there was a nice group of D-linemen, Milliner and Olinemen as well as Austin. Ches... you have to look at the circumstances within which we were drafting. If we passed on a Julio Jones, Tony Gonzalez or Aaron Rodgers, I would have been pissed. But we didn't.
    This is actually good analysis and I am in complete agreement with you.

And Rex said they would show more 4-3 defensive fronts this year probably because for the first time in Rex's career w/ the Jets his lineman are better than his core of LB.
    Last edited by CoreyWill; 04-26-2013 at 11:44 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    the simple truth is that this team could have drafted any position and they'd be better. they could take a LT and throw him at RT and improve. that's how many holes there are on this roster. bottom line this team needs good players. that's the need. not any one position but all positions.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone even considered the possibility that Idzik, a rookie GM with a lot of pressure on him and a power-hungry loudmouthed head coach to contend with that he didn't hire... screwed up this draft? Will anyone at least consider that possibility?

I mean, what track record does this guy have to make people think he's some draft guru? The same scouts who loved Kyle Wilson now picked Milliner. I mean, why are people so confident we just drafted Champ Bailey and Warren Sapp?
    Millner and Richardson were rated 4 and 9th best values on Draft Daddy before the draft; in other words we drafted Best Available Player and not for need only. Next year we will fill in additional needs. So how does loud mouth coach have done something irrational as you suggest. It seems they didn't share their plan before drafting with fans.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I asked Tannenbaum whether this might signal coach Rex Ryan still has input. I know John. John would not not include the head coach, Tannenbaum said.

- Wait, you're right, you probably know better than Tannenbaum how Idzik operates.