Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: For those who think our D was upgraded yesterday

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    You'd think a longtime Jet fan would know better than to be blindly optimistic about a highly questionable draft strategy. Some of our fans never cease to amaze me.

For future reference, if your team does something questionable and your gut reaction is that it's stupid, you know what? It probably is stupid.
    You're certainly allowed to think the picks were dumb. However, instead of acknowledging the potential rational behind the picks, the context under which the picks were made, or even the fact that these two guys might be quality players, you just keep rehashing the same whiny complaints and baseless acquisitions. A lot of fans (including myself) were upset last night. Most of us have taken a breath and evaluated why the Jets did what they did.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    It really wasn't. Aside from the fact that the rookies will not probably not even give us the same level of play as the guys they replaced (in Milliner's case, def not), this team is still beyond vulnerable to passes over the middle from short intermediate to deep. Any team with a good passing attack is going to still destroy us through the air, down the seam, over the middle, etc. Just wait, our D will continue its trend of backwards under Rex as well (1 to 3 to 5 to 8 to ???)

I'm sorry, I don't see this D as improved from last season and I know the offense right now is clearly worse. So the team continues to go backwards and some of our fans can't wait to just give Idzik a round of applause. And how is rebuilding using the exact same strategy you used for the past 4 drafts? Someone explain this to me....
    to say Milliner isnt going to be an improvement over who we had last year is just plain wrong.. wrong... wrong...

Remember, Milliner isnt replacing Revis.. He is replacing Wilson, who is replacing Lankster.. Revis barely played for us last year..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    Star, Floyd, and Sly Williams were all on the board too when the Jets made that pick. It's not like Sheldon was the last of intriguing D-Lineman when they selected him. I actually wanted them to take Jarvis Jones because I thought he was an outside pass rusher they really needed. Reminded me when Suggs slipped a little in the draft because of his slow 40 time.

The question that no one is bringing up is how the hell is Sheldon Richardson in their top 4 overall players?? He's a 295 lbs DT...how does that fit in with a 3-4 scheme. I don't know, I just don't believe in taking rotational d-lineman in the first round.
    I don't think either player is a good fit for Rex's 3-4 scheme. They both scream Tampa 2 defense ala Seattle.

There was an interesting discussion on ESPN with Bill Polian about defending the read option offense. They talked about a shift from man to zone CBs and defensive coaches looking for taller stronger corners that can come down and tackle the arc player, QB, or pitch man and being the last line of defense, again see Seattle DBs.

Richardson is more of a penetrating/disruptive 3 technique in the mold of Sapp. He doesn't have the length of a traditional 5 technique 3-4 DE nor the stoutness of a NT.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    You're certainly allowed to think the picks were dumb. However, instead of acknowledging the potential rational behind the picks, the context under which the picks were made, or even the fact that these two guys might be quality players, you just keep rehashing the same whiny complaints and baseless acquisitions. A lot of fans (including myself) were upset last night. Most of us have taken a breath and evaluated why the Jets did what they did.
    +1

It could have been much, MUCH worse.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    for those who think our posting fanbase was upgraded ....

read the work of the OP

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    I don't think either player is a good fit for Rex's 3-4 scheme. They both scream Tampa 2 defense ala Seattle.

There was an interesting discussion on ESPN with Bill Polian about defending the read option offense. They talked about a shift from man to zone CBs and defensive coaches looking for taller stronger corners that can come down and tackle the arc player, QB, or pitch man and being the last line of defense, again see Seattle DBs.

Richardson is more of a penetrating/disruptive 3 technique in the mold of Sapp. He doesn't have the length of a traditional 5 technique 3-4 DE nor the stoutness of a NT.

That's the point made by the panel on NFL Network.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

read the work of the OP
    I lol'd

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

read the work of the OP
    Our fanbase was picked using the BAP method, so there ya go!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It really wasn't. Aside from the fact that the rookies will not probably not even give us the same level of play as the guys they replaced (in Milliner's case, def not), this team is still beyond vulnerable to passes over the middle from short intermediate to deep. Any team with a good passing attack is going to still destroy us through the air, down the seam, over the middle, etc. Just wait, our D will continue its trend of backwards under Rex as well (1 to 3 to 5 to 8 to ???)

I'm sorry, I don't see this D as improved from last season and I know the offense right now is clearly worse. So the team continues to go backwards and some of our fans can't wait to just give Idzik a round of applause. And how is rebuilding using the exact same strategy you used for the past 4 drafts? Someone explain this to me....
    No offense, but I'll wait until the two of them play a game or two before taking your analysis...HORRENDOUS slide by the way, ranked number one and all the way down to number eight...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Our fanbase was picked using the BAP method, so there ya go!
    Wouldn't it be BAF? Idzik had the #9 pick and took me! Shows his "genius" now that I'm ripping him left and right

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    We had the chance to put the building blocks in place for a rebuild, we blew it. Reinforced positions that didn't need upgrading. Our continued strategy of using all of our top picks on defense, specifically corner and defensive tackle, won't work, you can't win like that.

And we have thousands of posters here, didn't see a single one beat the drum for Milliner and Richardson. It's just people being homers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    We had the chance to put the building blocks in place for a rebuild, we blew it. Reinforced positions that didn't need upgrading. Our continued strategy of using all of our top picks on defense, specifically corner and defensive tackle, won't work, you can't win like that.

And we have thousands of posters here, didn't see a single one beat the drum for Milliner and Richardson. It's just people being homers.
    Spoken more rationally than me, but exactly on point. Until Rex Ryan is removed from the equation, none of this will ever change. His mind is in another era. He doesn't get it and the last couple years prove that he never will.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my bad, I should be happy my team gets worse every year, that Rex's D gets worse every year (no matter how many 1st round picks he throws at it), that our GM appears to be completely undermined by our buffoon of a head coach, that we have the greatest CBs and DL EVER (at least rex believes it), but still go under .500 because the rest of the team blows. Fun times to be a Jets fan. Have you been doing shots of green Kool-Aid? You're never this much of a homer....
    At least post something that would make your point. Adding two top notch defensive players, getting rid of slow guys, emergence of Wilkerson and Coples, having a better corner than Kyle Wilson next to Cromartie (Revis was hurt all year) plus the picks in the next few days and 35 million of cap space next year to spend on players should make us much better. After all that has been done, come back and say we aren't as good as last year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    You're right. Adding two top talents to our defense has done nothing to improve it at all.

As far as the Revis/Milliner comparison - thanks for making it. I now can count you among the simple minded. Revis was going to be gone regardless of who we drafted. I'd rather have Milliner starting opposite Cro, than Kyle Wilson.

Idzik is clearly drafting BPA. Do you have trouble understanding that concept? It appears so.
    Well spoken. I nearly fell from laughter at the op's bs. Two picks and he has it doomed to failure. He surely has crystal balls. He should apply for Idzik's job. I liked BOTH picks and the CB can be great! The DT gives up speed up the gut. Have we had that in awhile? NO. Duh! I guess we did improve our defense but lets wait to see them perofrm on the field before making silly comments either way! On paper, those two picks look mighty good to me.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post

But we have seen many people who have worked in football all their lives say they were excellent picks! So I guess its just some of our fans being negative nabobs who wish to downgrade the selection WITHOUT seeing them perform in our scheme under WRECKS guidance! Once again the arm chair GMs know more then the paid professionals!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    I think it's laughable that you believe:

1) That the draft is about making this team better for 2013; and

2) That there were players available that would have made this team competitive on offense in 2013
    +1

Calling his views prescient? LOL. More like a lack of understanding.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the picks

what really worries me.is what do the the jets do for a q.b.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jets rooter View Post
    what really worries me.is what do the the jets do for a q.b.
    GARRARD! GARRARD GARRARD

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    But we have seen many people who have worked in football all their lives say they were excellent picks! So I guess its just some of our fans being negative nabobs who wish to downgrade the selection WITHOUT seeing them perform in our scheme under WRECKS guidance! Once again the arm chair GMs know more then the paid professionals!
    The players that were picked are good players IMHO, but let's see what things look like when this draft is over. Now that I've seen how our shoddy and porous 8th ranked defense is being shored up, I'm anxious to see how our 30th ranked offense will be aided by the talent pool.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn't it be BAF? Idzik had the #9 pick and took me! Shows his "genius" now that I'm ripping him left and right
    you must have been one of those non-tradeable Comp picks. Idzik is stuck with you and can't trade out.