Thread: Why I am Happy With The Jets Picks

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Why I am Happy With The Jets Picks

I'll admit, I was a little upset when I heard Dee Milliner's name at #9 and not just a trade back. When I heard Sheldon Richardson's name it was about as surprising as it gets for me.

However, I've thought about it and I believe they are good picks. Milliner is easily the best CB in this draft. He is very good at blanketing some of the better college WRs and he's usually in a position where he can turn his head and make a play on the ball. Plus, he tackles really well in the open field and doesn't shy away from contact. When we play Brady twice, Brees, Ryan, Flacco, Roethlisberger, Dalton, & Newton this year we will be happy with our coverage. Milliner has had some injury concerns but I'm sure the Jets will work around that like they did Landry, and I'm not really worried about it. The only downsides I've seen to his game is that he doesn't have ball skills and he needs to learn how to press a little better. As long as he can prevent passing plays, which I think he'll be able to do in the NFL, I'm cool with that.

Sheldon Richardson is a beast. He is kind of an oversized DE or an undersized DT and would fit best in a 4-3. The thing is, he moves like a MLB. I watched the film vs SCAR and he is literally a DT that's 20 yard downfield trying to make tackles on long Lattimore runs. In the first 6 plays he had 2 sacks, 3 tackles, and a forced fumble. Grabbing him will help our terrible run D from last year and he will put pressure on the QB. Give me a line with Wilkerson, Ellis, Richardson, & Coples moving forward and we will have one of the best young lines in the league. And I know a lot has been put on "We need an OLB" but there will be some available in the 2nd-3rd-4th rounds that can play. There won't be an equivalent player to Richardson in the later rounds and that's a guarantee.

Trust me when I say, If we were to go maybe Mingo (if he dropped) and Geno Smith then those would be terrible picks compared to these. CBs and DTs are highly valued in this league and it's hard for me to argue with the picks. I want to think I know more, but I think the Jets really liked these 2 players and for good reason. Neither has bust factor and when they are quality players down the road then It'll be hard to argue with the draft picks. It is obvious we are building for that 2014 season.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just happy I stopped wasting my money on season tickets.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyWill View Post
    I'll admit, I was a little upset when I heard Dee Milliner's name at #9 and not just a trade back. When I heard Sheldon Richardson's name it was about as surprising as it gets for me.

However, I've thought about it and I believe they are good picks. Milliner is easily the best CB in this draft. He is very good at blanketing some of the better college WRs and he's usually in a position where he can turn his head and make a play on the ball. Plus, he tackles really well in the open field and doesn't shy away from contact. When we play Brady twice, Brees, Ryan, Flacco, Roethlisberger, Dalton, & Newton this year we will be happy with our coverage. Milliner has had some injury concerns but I'm sure the Jets will work around that like they did Landry, and I'm not really worried about it. The only downsides I've seen to his game is that he doesn't have ball skills and he needs to learn how to press a little better. As long as he can prevent passing plays, which I think he'll be able to do in the NFL, I'm cool with that.

Sheldon Richardson is a beast. He is kind of an oversized DE or an undersized DT and would fit best in a 4-3. The thing is, he moves like a MLB. I watched the film vs SCAR and he is literally a DT that's 20 yard downfield trying to make tackles on long Lattimore runs. In the first 6 plays he had 2 sacks, 3 tackles, and a forced fumble. Grabbing him will help our terrible run D from last year and he will put pressure on the QB. Give me a line with Wilkerson, Ellis, Richardson, & Coples moving forward and we will have one of the best young lines in the league. And I know a lot has been put on "We need an OLB" but there will be some available in the 2nd-3rd-4th rounds that can play. There won't be an equivalent player to Richardson in the later rounds and that's a guarantee.

Trust me when I say, If we were to go maybe Mingo (if he dropped) and Geno Smith then those would be terrible picks compared to these. CBs and DTs are highly valued in this league and it's hard for me to argue with the picks. I want to think I know more, but I think the Jets really liked these 2 players and for good reason. Neither has bust factor and when they are quality players down the road then It'll be hard to argue with the draft picks. It is obvious we are building for that 2014 season.

Good to hear someone not ***** for once.

Bravo, I'll take it.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not thrilled with what we did. If Milliner can be solid and Richardson is as disruptive as they say (Warren Sapp like, probably not it's the Jets be more Dewayne Robertson) we'd be happy.

I read an article about Idzik building like Tampa did in the 90's then Richardson makes sense.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    I'm just happy I stopped wasting my money on season tickets.
    It's really hard to argue with you here. However, there really weren't any offensive playmakers available to us besides Eifert and I felt he was a stretch at #13 in a deep TE class. We got 2 safe picks without picking an OG so it's hard for me to be THAT upset about it. And honestly, I think they'll both be good as they dominated at their positions in the best conference in football. In fact, Richardson actually had a strong game against Alabama who had the best line in the league. They ran away from him a lot and really had to double team him and give him a lot of looks. He actually came on really strong in the 2nd half of that game. He's a rare athlete and I think he'll prove it.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyWill View Post
    It's really hard to argue with you here. However, there really weren't any offensive playmakers available to us besides Eifert and I felt he was a stretch at #13 in a deep TE class. We got 2 safe picks without picking an OG so it's hard for me to be THAT upset about it. And honestly, I think they'll both be good as they dominated at their positions in the best conference in football. In fact, Richardson actually had a strong game against Alabama who had the best line in the league. They ran away from him a lot and really had to double team him and give him a lot of looks. He actually came on really strong in the 2nd half of that game. He's a rare athlete and I think he'll prove it.
    I agree. I am not killing the first round, as I don't watch much college ball and don't pretend to be a draftnick.

I am just glad that I am not paying and wasting a full day to watch a defense that will be good, but probably not great and an offense that was unbelievably inept last year and if possible, got even worse this offseason.
    I enjoyed being able to watch other games last year because I wasn't at the game and expect to enjoy it even more this year.