Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You build around the strength of your team.

You build around the strength of your team.

Loved the picks last night I see alot of people complaining about the picks but I don't understand why? This draft is not filled with flashy picks this is a draft where you build around your foundation our strengths are the dline and the corners and those 2 spots got even better last night. Now we can go build up our offense.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by JETSALLDAY24 View Post
    Loved the picks last night I see alot of people complaining about the picks but I don't understand why? This draft is not filled with flashy picks this is a draft where you build around your foundation our strengths are the dline and the corners and those 2 spots got even better last night. Now we can go build up our offense.
    I thought that's what this draft was for, since last few drafts have been about going D in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    I thought that's what this draft was for, since last few drafts have been about going D in the first round.
    Its about best player available with every pick. Its the same logic the giants used when they took JPP despite having a great DL and pass rush already.

Like I said build around the strength of the team our strength is defense. They're are still 2 days left in the draft you make it sound like the draft is over.

Veteran
    So in essence building up the strength of your team starts by trading the best player on that side of the ball. Got it!

Thats how teams stay mediocre, picking offense for the sake of offense or defense for the sake of defense year to year.

The Giants, Packers, Steelers, Ravens.... they dont do this. They're (I THINK) the model we should want to follow.

This isnt a 1 year rebuild and definately not a 1 DAY rebuild. There's still good offensive talent left, thats almost as good as the ones drafted. And then there's next year, where we will have a bundle of picks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

For all the talk about building 'super units' prior to the draft, and how much people love the Giants/Steelers/Ravens/Packers front offices, it's pretty funny to hear the reaction around here today.

This board is crazy for the most part. These were great picks and they were BPA and also happened to fill a need.

This Draft is not about "fixing" a football team. No draft should be. This is how bad football teams are run. If you want to build a team for sustained success, you draft the best players. If you draft to fix areas of need, you will have weak drafts and continually have needs to fill.

Ask yourself, Why do the Jets have so many holes to fill, when they spent the last 5 season filling holes with draft picks, signings, and trades? And you'll realize the answer is because it does not work.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    This Draft is not about "fixing" a football team. No draft should be. This is how bad football teams are run. If you want to build a team for sustained success, you draft the best players. If you draft to fix areas of need, you will have weak drafts and continually have needs to fill.

Ask yourself, Why do the Jets have so many holes to fill, when they spent the last 5 season filling holes with draft picks, signings, and trades? And you'll realize the answer is because it does not work.
    Good post!!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by I against I View Post
    So in essence building up the strength of your team starts by trading the best player on that side of the ball. Got it!
    Yes dont mention his 16mn salary. It has no bearing on your arguement

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TokyoJetsFan View Post
    Yes dont mention his 16mn salary. It has no bearing on your arguement

Shhh. I failed to mention that on purpose.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post

Good points. I don't think that this draft went the way the Jets had expected, they probably would have taken Cooper or Austin if they were there at 9, but they weren't. Rather than reach for an offensive player, they took two players that they had more highly rated. Nobody knows how well this draft will work out, but time will tell.

I also find it amusing how the Jets get killed for the pressure being put on Milliner to replace Revis, yet many of the same experts love the Vikings giving up 4 picks to take a raw project in Cordarelle Patterson to replace Harvin.

It does when that player is selfish. What made Jerry Rice Walter Payton Ray Lewis Manning Brady etc great? They're ability and they're LEADERSHIP. Revis holds out gets a contract extension then named team captain. What kind of message does that send to the TEAM?

Loved the picks last night I see alot of people complaining about the picks but I don't understand why?
    We have the worst O in the NFL, or just about.

We've been a 4-year top 10 Defense.

Instead of repairing the O to competativeness, we selected D. Again. In the top rounds. Again. Relagating Wilson and Ellis to what, top round backups?

I would venture most who complained simply do not understand the tactic of loading the D (which has been fine) and ignoring the O (which is horrible).

A more balanced approach, perhaps drafting the available stud Guard and the available stud TE, would have been more even handed to a balanced and more capable team.

Or, we're wrong, and going all D will work. Who knows at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Arctor View Post
    We have the worst O in the NFL, or just about.

We've been a 4-year top 10 Defense.

Instead of repairing the O to competativeness, we selected D. Again. In the top rounds. Again. Relagating Wilson and Ellis to what, top round backups?

I would venture most who complained simply do not understand the tactic of loading the D (which has been fine) and ignoring the O (which is horrible).

A more balanced approach, perhaps drafting the available stud Guard and the available stud TE, would have been more even handed to a balanced and more capable team.

Or, we're wrong, and going all D will work. Who knows at this point.
    we WERE a top 10 defense. We've lost 2 starting LBs, 2 starting DTs, 1 starting CB, and 2 starting S's.

Thats 7/11 starters, GONE.

You can't win without offense, and you can't win by taking BPA if it is already a strength. They may be awesome players, but even if they are you did nothing to address the gaping holes, and the deeper the draft goes the less likely you will plug those holes. It was a horrible first round.

If you look, team DO NOT draft BPA. They draft BPA in one of their areas of need. And if you have no glaring weaknesses you target a player.

Undrafted Free Agent
    hold while I call the Waaaaambulance

Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    we WERE a top 10 defense. We've lost 2 starting LBs, 2 starting DTs, 1 starting CB, and 2 starting S's.

Thats 7/11 starters, GONE.
    Revis was not a starter last year. He was hurt. We started Cro and a #1 pick in Wilson.

Landry was a playmaker, albeit a huge injury risk of one. His loss will be felt.

The rest? Old and/or JAG players the lot of them. All easily replaced in the pool of post-draft Veteran free agents OR by players we already drafted, for example, like Ellis the DT, a high round pick who is now apparently a bust (like Wilson) so bad they required us to replace them now, immediately.

And while it may sound dire to have that level of turnover, I maintain it's easier to have faith that Rex can guide "his" unit to Top 10 status despite it, as opposed to our bottom 5 Offense, who was almost completely uncompetative on the pro level last year.

Like I said, we'll see. If we draft a bagful of O players who stick the rest of this draft or aquire some really solid free agent O players to bolster that horrific unit, all is forgiven.

If we roll out the same old same old bottom 5 O in 2013, well, all I can do is hope that means the end of Rex Ryan and his lopsided all D era.

All Pro
    One thing that I think our Day 1 draft does prove - our "No. 2 pass defense last year WITHOUT Revis" was a mirage. Not created by having a talented unit, but by having a porous run D.

If it was down to talent, no way would we be drafting CB at 9.