Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

View Poll Results: Which QB Would You Prefer?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ryan Nassib

17 20.99%
  • Matt Barkley

8 9.88%
  • Geno Smith

34 41.98%
  • Tyler Wilson

5 6.17%
  • Mike Glennon

17 20.99%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: QB in 2nd Round for Jets? (MERGED)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    STRENGTHS: Possesses all of the traits scouts are looking for in a franchise quarterback. Can make every NFL throw, showing pinpoint accuracy on short, intermediate and deep routes. Very good deep ball passer. Has the touch and accuracy to lead his receivers away from defenders. Quick setup and delivery. Has a fluid, over-the-top release which makes up for less-than-ideal but adequate height. Has generally shown the confidence to drive passes through tight windows, throwing his receivers open even when they are covered. Good athleticism to slide in and around the pocket to buy time. Good field vision. Checks down to his second and third options. Has the speed and elusiveness to gain yards in chunks but will exhaust his passing options before running. Hard worker.

WEAKNESSES: His confidence was shaken noticeably during the 2012 season. Fails to account for blitzers too often for a quarterback with his experience. Inconsistent setup and delivery, failing to set his feet and resulting in some fluttering passes. Has struggled in poor weather conditions, including the final game of his career (New Era Pinstripe Bowl). Demonstrative leadership will be considered a negative by some. Took virtually all of his snaps out of the shotgun in a relatively simple offense.

COMPARES TO: Alex Smith, Chiefs -- Each is a highly efficient, accurate passer with the mobility to force defenses to account for their dual-threat capabilities, with Geno being the more accurate deep-ball passer but the same questions apply to the WVU product -- will his skills translate to a more traditional, NFL offense?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...302/geno-smith

NFL Comparison

Aaron Brooks

Bottom Line

Though Smith has had his ups and downs as a passer in West Virginia's prolific spread offense, NFL general managers appreciate his ultra-competitive nature, athleticism, arm strength and quick delivery. The Mountaineer turned down a Senior Bowl invitation after regressing in the second half of the season following a strong start. Smith's eye level and pocket movement can be great, but he reverted back to staring down his first read. During his sophomore season, Smith played in an offense where he frequently took snaps from center, so he might have a leg up compared to some other prospects in that regard.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profil...ith?id=2539335

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dan Leberfeld ‏@jetswhispers
    Geno Smith is represented by Erik Burkhardt and Jeff Nalley of Select Sports Group. Perhaps Schefter is getting this from them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to go ahead and speculate that the Jets are employing the same method they used on round one to stimulate the tavon trade. Get teams thinking they need to trade up to acquire a position in order to push other picks down. I know it's a stretch, but let's say you reeeally wanted Cyprien for example, but you didn't want to trade up for him. Next best thing is getting teams to trade ahead of you for a position you aren't going to take, in hopes of pushing Cyprien down.

One can hope.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geno's leadership deficiencies make Sanchez look like General Patton. Pass.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseJet View Post
    Geno's leadership deficiencies make Sanchez look like General Patton. Pass.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    YUP!!!!!!!!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    NO GLENNON

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Must been a bad year for OT's.
    My bad they rated him 5th behind:

Bryan Bulaga
    Russell Okung
    Trent Williams
    Anthony Davis

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really dont want any of these QB's, I'd rather we tank and re-evaluate at this point next year

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Except that Geno is a surly loser who wanted to go home and sulk after not going in the first round.

..so much of a loser that he's about to become an NFL player

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Cimini: Jets trying to move up in 2nd round
    2 Thoughts.

1. This is Shefter saying this, not Cimini.

2. This would be outright shocking, because it would leave the Jets with few draft picks (they would probably have to trade a 4th + 6th to move up. This screams of either the Jets smokescreen, Geno Smith's making noise, or another team smokescreen and using the Jets... Or just the Jets doing some due diligence.

I think the Jets should just let the chips fall or trade down. Trading awake more picks to move up seems like a terrible idea. Especially because next year should be a very good QB year (even after Bridgewater and Manziel)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    2 Thoughts.

2. This would be outright shocking, because it would leave the Jets with few draft picks (they would probably have to trade a 4th + 6th to move up. This screams of either the Jets smokescreen, Geno Smith's making noise, or another team smokescreen and using the Jets... Or just the Jets doing some due diligence.

I think the Jets should just let the chips fall or trade down. Trading awake more picks to move up seems like a terrible idea. Especially because next year should be a very good QB year (even after Bridgewater and Manziel)
    yet if they trade up and get him and he's good, we have a qb.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    2 Thoughts.

My gut feeling is that it's a smokescreen. However, Idzik may be thinking back to last year when he was in Seattle when they drafted Russell Wilson in the middle rounds and he turned out to be a star.

People talk about fixing the offense. The one sure way of fixing the offense is to get a new signal caller.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Schefter right now on ESPN radio says he believes Geno will be a Jet tonight.. Says Eagles are the only other team who would take him but his gut feeling says they won't .. And we had a serious debate about him at 13 so it would make sense if we took him at 39.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Life View Post
    Schefter right now on ESPN radio says he believes Geno will be a Jet tonight.. Says Eagles are the only other team who would take him but his gut feeling says they won't .. And we had a serious debate about him at 13 so it would make sense if we took him at 39.
    I'm not thrilled with the idea, but I guess I can live with the Jets drafting him. I'd be quite annoyed if the Jets traded up.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Icer View Post
    I really dont want any of these QB's, I'd rather we tank and re-evaluate at this point next year
    There's no guarantee we'd get one of the top QBs next year. There's also no guarantee that the guys perceived to be the top 2014 QBs will still be so perceived in 12 months. Things happen, players drop, get injured or run into off field issues.

If the Jets like a QB and think he's worth a 2nd round pick, then go get him now.

A QB in the hand is better than 2 in the 2014 bush.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not thrilled with the idea, but I guess I can live with the Jets drafting him. I'd be quite annoyed if the Jets traded up.
    Depends on what it costs and how high we have to go.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed. Not my ideal move but if we gave him a first round grade and loved him at 13 I can understand why they would .. Good value pick

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    ..so much of a loser that he's about to become an NFL player
    So?

Jay Cutler is a surly loser and he's been reasonably successful in the NFL.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Austin;4872963]So?

Jay Cutler is a surly loser and he's been reasonably successful in the NFL.[/

My definition of a loser is someone who sits on a messageboard shouting loser at people who are,by the very fact they have made it to the NFL,winners....surly or not

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Life View Post
    Heard it..Also heard Shefter said Geno was one of the 4....While Manish said it was Chance Warmack (both said Tavon Austin)...

Yikes...

Summary: Started the season red-hot with the help of two playmaking receivers and created a national stir generating a lot of overexcitement in the scouting community. Quickly came down to earth after Kansas State disguised coverages and brought pressure he could not handle and he finished dropping six of his final eight games. A cross between Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks, Smith is a gimmick, overhyped product of the system lacking the football savvy, work habits and focus to cement a starting job and could drain energy from a QB room. Will be overdrafted and struggle to produce against NFL defensive complexities.
    NFL projection: Top-50 pick.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...outing-reports