Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trading up for Geno???

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    this board is going to explode when we give up a 4th to move up.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Better in the 2nd round than at 13, I guess.

QB is the most important position on the field. Even if Geno is a boom/bust type pick it's not necessarily a bad move to use a 2nd round pick on him as a lottery ticket! The Jets have a need and this seems to be the value spot to take him.

Not my first choice and I don't like trading up, but if we can get him for a 2nd and 4th I wouldn't puke over it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't understand why so many would have a problem with this.

I get why some didn't want to take Geno in the Top 10, but the top of the 2nd round?

The kid is the consensus best QB prospect in this draft class.

Has all the tools and intangibles that you look for in a franchise QB and is a great fit for the WCO. His only real flaw is consistency.

It's not like we'll have some f*cking mook like Schotty or Sparano developing him either. Mornhinweg has a reputation as a QB guru.

I wouldn't be against it at all. Especially if we can keep our 3rd round pick.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would try to give up our 4th next year since at worst the Revis trade will net us an extra 4th next year and then a late round pick this year (6th or 7th)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the Jets feel like Geno Smith is their man, go ahead and trade up to get him.

I don't really understand all of the hate for Geno. He has all of the tools, physical attributes, and intangibles to be a very good quarterback in the NFL. His biggest problem is consistency, but this is a common trait for most young quarterbacks. He's a leader in the huddle (exact opposite of Sanchez), and he can get the job done through the air and on the ground.

Reaching for him in the top 10 is one thing. Grabbing him in the second could be a huge steal.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    O line if someone is there worth the pick. Won't matter who is in the backfield without fixing that.
    Hear, hear

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Better in the 2nd round than at 13, I guess.

QB is the most important position on the field. Even if Geno is a boom/bust type pick it's not necessarily a bad move to use a 2nd round pick on him as a lottery ticket! The Jets have a need and this seems to be the value spot to take him.

Not my first choice and I don't like trading up, but if we can get him for a 2nd and 4th I wouldn't puke over it.
    let's do it!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Sooth's servers are going to melt. Its going to look like the engine room of an old steamship that's going down.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    If the Jets feel like Geno Smith is their man, go ahead and trade up to get him.

I don't really understand all of the hate for Geno. He has all of the tools, physical attributes, and intangibles to be a very good quarterback in the NFL. His biggest problem is consistency, but this is a common trait for most young quarterbacks. He's a leader in the huddle (exact opposite of Sanchez), and he can get the job done through the air and on the ground.

Reaching for him in the top 10 is one thing. Grabbing him in the second could be a huge steal.
    This. You can find fault for the Jets trading up for Shonn Greene - RBs are a dime a dozen. But, if the Jets like this guy that much, trading up 6 spots is a no brainer - especially when a team like Philly will very possibly grab him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

I get why some didn't want to take Geno in the Top 10, but the top of the 2nd round?

Has all the tools and intangibles that you look for in a franchise QB and is a great fit for the WCO. His only real flaw is consistency.

It's not like we'll have some f*cking mook like Schotty or Sparano developing him either. Mornhinweg has a reputation as a QB guru.

I agree with this guy.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post

And hopefully he carries that huge chip on his shoulders for the rest of his career like Aaron Rodgers.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Sooth's servers are going to melt. Its going to look like the engine room of an old steamship that's going down.
    lol

Just as you hear, "We have a trade at 33....the Jets are now on the clock," jetswin reaches over behind the server and....

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not such a bad move. WIth D'Brick's restructure they can cut Sanchez net zero cap effect or maybe, just maybe, trade and get a 6th or 7th for him (Not bloody likely, I know). Go into camp with Garrard and Smith........ Let Smith sit behind Garrard.

Or use Sanchez as the bait to move up without giving up a pick????

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The best team to trade with will be SF b/c they will most likely accept the additional pick or picks they receive to be in the 2014 draft. With the Jets basically having at worst an extra 4th next year but more then likely an extra 3rd they could be willing to deal their own 3rd next year or their own 4th and a 6th next year. Something like that may entice SF.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love the idea of getting rid of Sanchez and Tebow and giving the ball to Geno from the getgo. It would make for an interesting season at least.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarjet View Post
    Not such a bad move. WIth D'Brick's restructure they can cut Sanchez net zero cap effect or maybe, just maybe, trade and get a 6th or 7th for him (Not bloody likely, I know). Go into camp with Garrard and Smith........ Let Smith sit behind Garrard.

Or use Sanchez as the bait to move up without giving up a pick????

Sanchez is a liability not an asset, he could've been used as partial bait to trade DOWN with.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This place is downright comical. Almost the entire football world will think this is a value at early end of round 2, but Jetsinsider almost unanimously pans the idea.

I'm an admitted Nassib backer, but I wouldn't be crushed by this. Geno has a lot of first round traits, a lot of them. He's got a lot of upside. And while yes, a second rounder is nothing to sneeze at, he's worth the gamble in my opinion.

Idzik is damn if he does, damned if he doesn't on here for the vast majority. A lot of people killed him because he didn't go offense in the 1st round when there was no value to take there, and now he'll get crushed on here if he takes a QB in round 2 with pretty dang good value.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    This place is downright comical. Almost the entire football world will think this is a value at early end of round 2, but Jetsinsider almost unanimously pans the idea.

I'm an admitted Nassib backer, but I wouldn't be crushed by this. Geno has a lot of first round traits, a lot of them. He's got a lot of upside. And while yes, a second rounder is nothing to sneeze at, he's worth the gamble in my opinion.

Idzik is damn if he does, damned if he doesn't on here for the vast majority. A lot of people killed him because he didn't go offense in the 1st round when there was no value to take there, and now he'll get crushed on here if he takes a QB in round 2 with pretty dang good value.
    so true

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Geno is our guy and we can get him at #39, you gotta go get the ****ing guy...I mean, it's worth a shot.

Past Second Rounders:

Stephen Hill--ehhhhh
    Vlad Ducasse----yupppp, genius
    David Harris---ok, ya got me here
    Kellen Clemens---BUST
    Mike Nugeent---hahaha
    Justin Miller---mehhhhhh, decent
    Victor Hobson--OK, barely
    Jon McGraw---ehhhh
    Lamont Jordan---decent
    Randy Thomas---ok

Ya see what I am getting at here...we have gotten decent production from a few of those guys, that's it.

It's worth a shot. Let's get this ****er.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

+ infinity