Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: D'Brick Restructured...Hello Geno?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    I have to ask; with no clear-cut franchise QB in the draft, a dearth of quality FA QBs available and numerous holes in positions like the OL, TE, LB and S (the last 2 seemingly forever), what is to be gained in wasting a pick on a QB and cutting Sanchez?
    Hope.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    But did they do that because they saw potential in Wilson, or "just to get a QB"? There's a HUGE difference, and I just don't want to roll the dice with such a high pick unless we have a true conviction that the guy is gonna be special . . .
    Well if the report is true that the Jets discussed drafting Geno at #13 then I think he would be a steal for the coaching staff in the 2nd round.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez isn't going anywhere. The contract was renegotiated before the draft, it wasn't done in response to Geno Smith still being available.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just read about Dbrick re-structure and immediately thought as all did with one extra bonus I think no one will mind, Braylon Edwards B****es. I would really like to see Edwards back in the mix, especially with a rooky QB.

Geno, like it or not, is in the cards, but it also creates room to sign BE and bring him back into the fold. cutting Tbow almost pays for BE. With this we can concentrate elsewhere in late rounds in hopes we get a nugget.

May, I say may just turn out to be a good thing, but only if the Sanchez/Tblow drama ends.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseJet View Post
    Sooo...D'Brick restructured today freeing up like $5 million and change in cap savings. The cap hit if Mark Sanchez is cut? $4.3 million. Coincidence?
    GO! GO! GO!GO! GO! GO!GO! GO! GO!GO! GO! GO!GO! GO! GO!GO! GO! GO!GO! GO! GO!GO! GO! GO!GO! GO! GO!GO! GO! GO!GO! GO! GO! GO!

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by @lex View Post
    Hope.
    Hope can be a dangerous thing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have to ask; with no clear-cut franchise QB in the draft, a dearth of quality FA QBs available and numerous holes in positions like the OL, TE, LB and S (the last 2 seemingly forever), what is to be gained in wasting a pick on a QB and cutting Sanchez?
    I don't like spending a 2nd round pick on a QB this year either, but cutting Sanchez costs an extra $4.3M in capspace this year, but it will save $4.8M in cap space next year (His dead cap cost next year is $4.8m), so if the Jets really are looking at this as a dead year, it's a way of freeing up cash for 2014.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Sanchez isn't going anywhere. The contract was renegotiated before the draft, it wasn't done in response to Geno Smith still being available.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike Francesa ‏@MikeFrancesaNY
    A lot of tawk dat da Jets will move up to get Gee Knows Myth. Dey have tawked with Harbaw. We will see if dat is true.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quick how many teams right now are playing a QB they drafted, that was a clear cut franchise QB and actually looked it last year? 3, 4, MAYBE 5 at most. You make it sound so easy. If they arent a top ten pick they arent a clear cut franchise QB. Half the time even those guys dont fit that bill. Plan and simple if the guy your about to draft has a better chance at a future then the guy you have it is a good pick. The fact we could take a 6th round QB in this draft and likely do that means nothing. The lower wate the less talented they will be. There are 3-4 QBs on the board with a 2nd round grade. Passing on them for a 3-4 round grade doesnt give you a better chance at finding a QB that will help you this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    My feeling exactly.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    I would think it's so his boy Brandon Moore is resigned

Means we don't reach for a lineman, rather we have time to groom a kid
    This is how I see it too!!
    Other than Moore and the guy from the Lions (peterman?) there 3 FA OL studs still available but commanding big bucks

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Hey D'Brick, it's John Idzik....Hey, how about we restructure you so that you have a different QB to protect this year?"

D'Brick: "Where do I sign?"

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarjet View Post
    Sanchez for a 7th rounder? Anyone.....

Anyone??
    may get a team to bit for a 7th if we also throw in a 6th rd pick

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    They aren't cutting sanchez this year. Even if they bring in Geno, that's Geno/Garrad/Sanchez. Geno could be a bust/Garrard could get hurt and Mcelroy/Tebow are hot garbage.

Sanchez will be on the roster for a while. If Geno comes into camp and looks amazing, MAYBE they cut Sanchez...mayb.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Well as mentioned above, with the freed cap space, they can go after a FA guard like Moore or Peterman. There goes the OL problem.

TE, LB, and S- draft

Plus do you realize how the fans will think about this draft if they get rid of Sanchez and draft a QB?
    I'm trying to look at this with as little pathos as possible, as should the braintrust of the Jets. Allegedly, worry over the fanbase reactions to things (both positive and negative) were what got this franchise into trouble in the first place.

That said, re-signing Moore does little in alleviating the OL as he was part of said problem. His best years are pre-surgically behind him and at best he would be a stopgap. Pass.

Additionally, that approach ignores what I originally posited; that there truly isn't a QB worth taking in the next couple of rounds that outstrips the value of a player at another need position.

Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    You can't think of it like that. The Seahawks just gave big money to Flynn last year right before the draft and they took Wilson in the 3rd round. Just b/c the "experts" say a guy won't be good right away or isn't a franchise QB doesn't mean that you can't find one in that draft. Plenty of "experts" are wrong about QB's more then they are right.
    I can think like that as what I put forth was what would be consistent in that approach you mention; take the best players available that can help your team instead of trying to get a player to solely fill a need (you hope).

Quote Originally Posted by @lex View Post
    Hope.
    That may have worked for Obama, but it sure as sh!t isn't a way to run a football team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    They aren't cutting sanchez this year. Even if they bring in Geno, that's Geno/Garrad/Sanchez. Geno could be a bust/Garrard could get hurt and Mcelroy/Tebow are hot garbage.

Sanchez will be on the roster for a while. If Geno comes into camp and looks amazing, MAYBE they cut Sanchez...mayb.
    If you dont intent to start Sanchez and have the cap room, they need to cut him this year IMO. You dont let his attitude stay in the locker room moping around. I'd rather a 7th round 3rd stringer then him. Moral wise I cant see them saying to him sit the bench and next year your cut. He doesnt have a future here and he knows it. Get someone with heart that wants to win. Sanchez may have talent but I'd feel 100% more confident in bringing in Tuel as the 3rd stringer for a positive attitude. No more sitting by himself moping with his head down chanting why me.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't believe the Geno rumors, just like I didn't believe the Nassib ones...

I do believe the Jets are looking to move up ahead of Arizona for qb, though.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    I don't believe the Geno rumors, just like I didn't believe the Nassib ones...

I do believe the Jets are looking to move up ahead of Arizona for qb, though.
    Yeah, I'm not sure I believe it too, so far almost all the players that the Jets were rumored to be after, the Jets didn't get, even when available. The only guy that the Jets were rumored to like and seems to actually like in the 1st round was Austin.

Doesn't really seem like the media knows what the Jets want and they are either guessing or listening to smoke from the Jets, other teams, or agents.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Sal Pal said on ESPN that Jets execs were calling teams about trading up in the second round. I really don't want to trade away any draft picks. You can take Sean Renfree (Pennington 2.0)in the fifth. Otherwise you have to give up picks for Geno. Geno also has that Pennington accuracy(which you need in the WCO)