Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: See ya Sanchez!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    And -- get this -- maybe Tim Tebow stays. #Jets
    Oh hell no, Tebow's gotta go.

Should be Garrard (starter), Geno(backup) & Sanchez(hot dog vendor)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you can't cut both of them, then keep Teblow around as the third wheel punt protector

Garrard starts

McElroy backs up

Geno learns and gets ready for 2014

Teblow protects punters

the Turnover Machine departs -- hopefully by Monday

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi View Post
    Oh hell no, Tebow's gotta go.

Should be Garrard (starter), Geno(backup) & Sanchez(hot dog vendor)
    what team in their right mind would pay 8.2 mil for a clipboard holder and a major sulker when things do not go his way.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    what team in their right mind would pay 8.2 mil for a clipboard holder and a major sulker when things do not go his way.
    Unfortunately it costs more to let his hot dog eating ass go.

I'm for whatever is in the best interest of the team (money wise). Cut him or bench him... as long as he doesn't touch a football next year for the Jets, I'm okay with it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    So instead your proposing that same team waste 10% of their salary cap in dead money by cutting Sanchez, When he can be cut in 2014 w/o penalty.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel bad for Sanchez. We've had thousands of discussions about this but I really believe he was horribly mis-managed. The talent around him was allowed to disintegrate right when he started to show some flashes. I'm on board with Geno now and hope the organization learns from its mistakes and surrounds him with talent.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    I feel bad for Sanchez. We've had thousands of discussions about this but I really believe he was horribly mis-managed. The talent around him was allowed to disintegrate right when he started to show some flashes. I'm on board with Geno now and hope the organization learns from its mistakes and surrounds him with talent.
    this!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    No reason to cut Sanchez at all. Competition,. no more handing the job to anyone. See Seattle last year. Camp starts and the best guy between sanchez, geno and garrard starts. The days of just handing a draft pick the keys should be over.
    I agree. Let's see who wins the competition. If Geno is that great then let him prove it.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    it does not matter.....the writing is now on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by norcaljet View Post
    It's not that easy

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini 4m
    The Jets can't cut Sanchez, $17M hit. If they cut him with 6/1 designation, he'd count $12.4M on '13 cap, $4.8M next yr. Currently, $12.9M

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why cut Sanchez? He will be a good sport if he doesn't win the job because he will want to get signed somewhere else next year. He spent months learning the system from Garcia and might just win the competition. If you are losing money, and you know he won't be a headache, then why would you cut him? I would actually disagree with the move.

If you bench Sanchez and start Garrard/Smith then that's that. You address the media, say someone won the job, say Mark Sanchez will remain a member of the New York Jets, and you move on. Why lose money when the cost of that money is greater than the cost of keeping Sanchez?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't. He was horribly mis-managed but so much of his shortcomings are his alone. No touch, no mental toughness no real football IQ.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini 9m
    The Jets are now considering the possibility of releasing Sanchez, per @AdamSchefter. And -- get this -- maybe Tim Tebow stays. #Jets
    This all sounds vaguely familiar.....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    For this to have any chance of working both Sanchez and Tebow need to go. Let Smith compete with Garard and McElroy in an open competition. He will likely win and at the same time earn the respect of his teammates bc nothing was given to him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by norcaljet View Post
    It's not that easy

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini 4m
    The Jets can't cut Sanchez, $17M hit. If they cut him with 6/1 designation, he'd count $12.4M on '13 cap, $4.8M next yr. Currently, $12.9M
    He can be cut, designate him a 6/1 cut, he would then count as 12.4M against the cap this year. On the roster he counts as $12.9.

Between him and Revis we would have about $25 M of "dead" money. Last year I think the Colts had close to $40-$45M "dead" money. Keep Smith, Garrard and McElroy as our qbs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    For this to have any chance of working both Sanchez and Tebow need to go. Let Smith compete with Garard and McElroy in an open competition. He will likely win and at the same time earn the respect of his teammates bc nothing was given to him.
    Excellent Post

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez wont sulk, he loved it when he got benched and held the clipboard happily, hes got no guts and was scared to play

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing to feel bad about, if the kid manages his monies, he will never have to work another day in his life. I also think both he and Tebow need to move on for both the Jets sake and the players.
    If the Jets are truly going to try and make Geno the future then he needs to have a clean slate to work with. Keeping Mark or Tim will just cloud the picture and prevent the needed transition to a new leader within the team. The last thing any new QB needs is split loyalties among the players on the team.
    I also believe a fresh start elsewhere would benefit both of these guys moving forward.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets cannot afford to have another circus regarding their QB situation this year. Sanchez and Tebow must be cut, even though the cap takes a hit. Have Garrad start initially and ease Geno into the starting role at some point in 2013.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did I hear correctly on Espn Sanchez will make an additional 500,000 per week for just showing up to practice starting this Monday. This is on top of his guaranteed money. If true you can't keep throwing good money at bad. Could you?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quick question for everyone. Let's say we cut Sanchez & Tebow and decide to start Garrard and not just throw Geno Smith out there. Now, say Garrard gets hurt & considering his age and recent history it is certainly a possibility.

Who are you putting in at QB, Smith or McElroy?

This is why I sey keep Sanchez just for the worst case scenario instead of cutting him and losing 5mil on the cap. If we cut him after June 1 I will actually be pissed at the decision. Keeping Sanchez on this roster does not create any controversy as long as you are confident in your final QB decision and you address the issue and put it to rest. Putting in Kaepernick over Smith didn't automatically create this huge controversy because the 49ers just made a decision and stuck by it. If you give the media nothing to write about as far as a QB controversy, then there really is no distraction. If Sanchez wins the starting job and Garrard ends up sucking, you aren't going to get this huge "Start Sanchez" movement as much as you would a "Start Smith" movement. At this point, how is Mark really going to complain given the situation? He's lucky to even be on this roster.