Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 81

Thread: Sanchez's dead money when he's cut...

  1. #41
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,242
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Arctor View Post
    Perhaps.

    But it also makes no sense to cut him either.

    He can be a sacrificial lamb starting in 2013.

    Or an expensive backup in 2013.

    But little is gained outright dumping him.

    At worst, he can be competition fodder for Gerrard and Geno in camp.

    I just don't see a cut, but I won't cry if he is tbqh.

    By the way, check your PM's once in a while Sean
    This. How much does the team have to gain by cutting him? Who is starting? We're throwing Smith in week 1? Why set him up for that kind of beating on and off the field. If Sanchez is cut and Smith starts, the media is going to be just as rough on his as "the guy that Jets dumped Revis for".

    Admittedly, I don't know much about Smith, maybe he is a day 1 starter. Maybe he can be this years Russel Wilson/Matt Flynn training camp surprise. But it sounds like Geno is still a developmental player... I just feel like its setting him up to fail if you cut your starter and make him the guy. If you do that and he isn't ready, THEN it becomes a wasted pick, IMO

  2. #42
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,242
    Quote Originally Posted by leftturn3 View Post
    Yes I would, I do not care the money, tblow ans Mark never see the fld this year, so with that the money is spent and waisted, may as well remove the only thing left and that is the distraction that tblow and Sanchez bring. Removing them is more important than the loss. Liquidating assets and writing off long overdue dead costs is how you run your business.
    Who starts in your scenario?

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Furthermore...this pick also gives Tebow life on the roster. They may keep him now.
    WHY? That's what I'd like to know.....


    Teblow SUCKS and unless the Jets plan to use him at a position OTHER THAN QB, this is a total FAIL if they keep this clown.


    Get rid of BOTH Sanchez and Teblow so we can finally move on, dammit!!

  4. #44
    My prediction is the Jets will try to get Sanchez to lower his number or somehow make him inactive. It probably won't work so then we cut him and our QBs are Garrard Tebow and Smith. We haven't cut Tebow and he now has a few supporters according to ESPN.com. He is also classy and would help Smith any way he could.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets337 View Post
    My prediction is the Jets will try to get Sanchez to lower his number or somehow make him inactive. It probably won't work so then we cut him and our QBs are Garrard Tebow and Smith. We haven't cut Tebow and he now has a few supporters according to ESPN.com. He is also classy and would help Smith any way he could.


    I'm sure demos is out there somewhere LOVING this.


    What a disaster it would be to still have this duck-throwing clown around.

  6. #46
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    light-years ahead
    Posts
    2,595
    Maybe Marty has some input and would like to sort out the busload of joke QBs himself.

    One upside to Tebow is he keeps the kids out of trouble during the season.

    Notice the Jets had no arrests or DUIs last year even after Braylon came back?

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    Maybe Marty has some input and would like to sort out the busload of joke QBs himself.

    One upside to Tebow is he keeps the kids out of trouble during the season.

    Notice the Jets had no arrests or DUIs last year even after Braylon came back?
    Classy, dude. Real classy.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Classy, dude. Real classy.
    Brian Thomas was

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Brian Thomas was
    I don't understand what you mean by that.

  10. #50
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,242
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    This is rational thinking , but won't be popular with the Sanchez lynch mob.
    And don't get me wrong, I'm by no means saying keep him because he deserves another chance. I think he's been (deservingly) destroyed in NY and almost certainly beyond redemption at this point. I just firmly believe that throwing Smith in day 1 on an offense with no talent to help a raw, rookie QB will be detrimental to his development and future success of the team.

    I don't know if the next QB is already on the roster. But I do know that as of tonight there is only one that we have yet to see - IMO only one that MIGHT have a future on the team. I just think its a bad idea to dump Sanchez (this moment) and expect smith to start with this talentless offense.
    Last edited by NDubz; 04-27-2013 at 02:19 AM.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I don't understand what you mean by that.
    He was arrested

  12. #52
    Watching the day 2 press conference it seems seriously unlikely that Sanchez will be on the team. He wouldn't commit to him even being at an OTA or minicamp.

  13. #53
    Jason: Jets Financial Obligations at the QB Position

    Since I know its certainly a big topic of discussion with the New York Jets drafting a QB I wanted to discuss the possibility of cutting the other Jets QBs, though clearly the person on the biggest hot seat is Mark Sanchez.

    Mark Sanchez currently carries a cap charge of $12,853,125 which consists of $8,250,000 in base salary, $4,103,125 in bonus prorations, and a $500,000 workout bonus. The base salary is fully guaranteed with no offset provisions meaning the Jets are on the hook for $8.25 million in cash regardless of whether or not Sanchez plays for the Jets or another team. For the Jets to cut him they have to be willing to pay that money to Sanchez, likely within 30 days of cutting him.

    The dead money cost of cutting Sanchez is $17,153,125, which results in a loss of $4.3 million in cap space. The Jets restructured the contract of LT D’Brickashaw Ferguson on Thursday to create over $5 million in cap space that in theory could have been used during draft weekend in the event the Jets drafted a QB. The restructure was not done after the 1st round so the way the draft unfolded played no part in the restructure. It would have just been preparing for the possibility.

    To save cap room Sanchez could be designated a June 1 cut. If the Jets did that they would defer $4.8 million in dead cap charges to 2014. The Jets would actually gain $500,000 in cap space in 2013 if they made that decision, however with free agency all but finished it is hard to see the benefit of such a move. John Idzik and the Jets may simply be following in the mold of the Indianapolis Colts and Oakland Raiders where they take a year of financial pain to clear the books completely for next season. As I have discussed before the Jets could easily have close to $50 million in cap room next year by proper cap management, which began with the trade of Darrelle Revis.

    Before cutting ties with Sanchez the Jets could look to trade him. The market for 1st round busts has always been there and most teams would be willing to pay somewhere between $2 and $3 million for a player like Sanchez. Compensation would not be much but the Jets could save more money if they did that. If a team was willing to take him for a late draft pick on Saturday at a $2 million salary the dead money would drop to about $15 million in 2013.

    The Jets could also potentially restructure Sanchez’ contract. I cant see Sanchez being amenable to that scenario but it was a move the Jets made in 2006 with Chad Pennington where he was given a chance to compete and to earn his money back via performance. At the time the Jets were looking to start Patrick Ramsey, a 1st round bust of the Redskins, and after the Pennington restructure still drafted Kellen Clemens in the 2nd round. In such a move the Jets would prorate the money they owe Sanchez this year but he would need to take a backup salary from 2014 thru 2016 of $1 to $2 million year.

    Such a move really does not benefit either side as Sanchez’ dead money would increase in the future and his caps would still be around $4.5 million a year, too high of a charge for a backup. If the Jets did have offsets in his contract they would have more leeway in a paycut but they have no leverage now.

    Tim Tebow currently carries a cap charge of $2,586,875. The Jets have already explored that trade market and it does not exist. The Jets still owe the Broncos $1,531,875 from last seasons trade so if Tebow is cut that money is shipped to Denver regardless and impacts the Jets salary cap this season.

    The Jets paid David Garrard a $100,000 signing bonus to go along with a non-guaranteed $1 million base salary. If the Jets cut Garrard the only charge is the $100,000 signing bonus. Garrard has not played in the NFL in 2 years and is injury prone which could make the Jets cautious about moving forward with him now. ..Greg McElroy carries minimal cap penalties if released. His dead money is only $32,576.

    While the Jets did carry Pennington, Ramsey, and Clemens in 2006 there would be little to gain from this situation now. Sanchez, if named the starter, would have an incredibly difficult time at home with a newly drafted prospect sitting on the bench. The home crowd was brutal to Sanchez is his last two home games and it got so bad the Jets pulled him against Arizona and did not play him in their home finale against the Chargers opting instead to play McElroy who was not ready for the speed of a NFL game on that day.

    Logically the Jets should release Sanchez on Monday if they cant work a trade out for him on Saturday. It clears the books which is what the Jets are looking to do as they prepare to turn this all around in 2014, the same as the Raiders. John Idzik was around a situation last year where he had a mid priced QB in Matt Flynn, low cost rookie in Russell Wilson, and mid priced veteran in Tarvaris Jackson. That same situation to me would be Tebow, Garrard, and Geno Smith. One player is maintained after the summer and one is released or traded. Of course nothing would surprise me with the Jets and maybe the person to be cut is Tebow and the Jets hope they can still do something with Sanchez rather than to pay him while he plays elsewhere.

    http://overthecap.com/jets-financial...e-qb-position/
    Last edited by C Mart; 04-27-2013 at 08:18 AM.

  14. #54
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    L.I. NY (where the Jets used to be from)
    Posts
    13,472
    Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    Thanks for posting. Which is why the Geno pick is so puzzling. We already knew that Sanchez will need to be on the team thru next season. Address other needs and go QB next year.

    Geno will fail too because of the dearth of talent on the offensive side of the ball.
    +1

  15. #55
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,456
    Quote Originally Posted by NDubz View Post
    And don't get me wrong, I'm by no means saying keep him because he deserves another chance. I think he's been (deservingly) destroyed in NY and almost certainly beyond redemption at this point. I just firmly believe that throwing Smith in day 1 on an offense with no talent to help a raw, rookie QB will be detrimental to his development and future success of the team.

    I don't know if the next QB is already on the roster. But I do know that as of tonight there is only one that we have yet to see - IMO only one that MIGHT have a future on the team. I just think its a bad idea to dump Sanchez (this moment) and expect smith to start with this talentless offense.
    I agree 100%!!!

    I don't think that Idzik plays games. I firmly believe he said to Mark Sanchez that he was going to compete for the starting job and he will. I also believe we are so used to Tanny shading the truth (Stanton) that may out here actually believed that was the only to run a football team.

    IMO we are going to be privy to a much more straight forward approach going forward.

  16. #56
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Providence, RI
    Posts
    2,051
    If the Jets can take the cap hit this year (without having to release anyone else), they should just get rid of Sanchez. They probably aren't going to add anyone else this off season aside from players who'd receive league minimum deals and don't count against the cap.

    I'd let Garrard and Smith battle it out. Garrard's salary is not guaranteed, so I'd be ok with getting rid of him and having Smith start with Tebow and McElroy as the other two qbs.

  17. #57
    Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    12,474
    Images
    39581
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Jason: Jets Financial Obligations at the QB Position

    Since I know its certainly a big topic of discussion with the New York Jets drafting a QB I wanted to discuss the possibility of cutting the other Jets QBs, though clearly the person on the biggest hot seat is Mark Sanchez.

    Mark Sanchez currently carries a cap charge of $12,853,125 which consists of $8,250,000 in base salary, $4,103,125 in bonus prorations, and a $500,000 workout bonus. The base salary is fully guaranteed with no offset provisions meaning the Jets are on the hook for $8.25 million in cash regardless of whether or not Sanchez plays for the Jets or another team. For the Jets to cut him they have to be willing to pay that money to Sanchez, likely within 30 days of cutting him.

    The dead money cost of cutting Sanchez is $17,153,125, which results in a loss of $4.3 million in cap space. The Jets restructured the contract of LT D’Brickashaw Ferguson on Thursday to create over $5 million in cap space that in theory could have been used during draft weekend in the event the Jets drafted a QB. The restructure was not done after the 1st round so the way the draft unfolded played no part in the restructure. It would have just been preparing for the possibility.

    To save cap room Sanchez could be designated a June 1 cut. If the Jets did that they would defer $4.8 million in dead cap charges to 2014. The Jets would actually gain $500,000 in cap space in 2013 if they made that decision, however with free agency all but finished it is hard to see the benefit of such a move. John Idzik and the Jets may simply be following in the mold of the Indianapolis Colts and Oakland Raiders where they take a year of financial pain to clear the books completely for next season. As I have discussed before the Jets could easily have close to $50 million in cap room next year by proper cap management, which began with the trade of Darrelle Revis.

    Before cutting ties with Sanchez the Jets could look to trade him. The market for 1st round busts has always been there and most teams would be willing to pay somewhere between $2 and $3 million for a player like Sanchez. Compensation would not be much but the Jets could save more money if they did that. If a team was willing to take him for a late draft pick on Saturday at a $2 million salary the dead money would drop to about $15 million in 2013.

    The Jets could also potentially restructure Sanchez’ contract. I cant see Sanchez being amenable to that scenario but it was a move the Jets made in 2006 with Chad Pennington where he was given a chance to compete and to earn his money back via performance. At the time the Jets were looking to start Patrick Ramsey, a 1st round bust of the Redskins, and after the Pennington restructure still drafted Kellen Clemens in the 2nd round. In such a move the Jets would prorate the money they owe Sanchez this year but he would need to take a backup salary from 2014 thru 2016 of $1 to $2 million year.

    Such a move really does not benefit either side as Sanchez’ dead money would increase in the future and his caps would still be around $4.5 million a year, too high of a charge for a backup. If the Jets did have offsets in his contract they would have more leeway in a paycut but they have no leverage now.

    Tim Tebow currently carries a cap charge of $2,586,875. The Jets have already explored that trade market and it does not exist. The Jets still owe the Broncos $1,531,875 from last seasons trade so if Tebow is cut that money is shipped to Denver regardless and impacts the Jets salary cap this season.

    The Jets paid David Garrard a $100,000 signing bonus to go along with a non-guaranteed $1 million base salary. If the Jets cut Garrard the only charge is the $100,000 signing bonus. Garrard has not played in the NFL in 2 years and is injury prone which could make the Jets cautious about moving forward with him now. ..Greg McElroy carries minimal cap penalties if released. His dead money is only $32,576.

    While the Jets did carry Pennington, Ramsey, and Clemens in 2006 there would be little to gain from this situation now. Sanchez, if named the starter, would have an incredibly difficult time at home with a newly drafted prospect sitting on the bench. The home crowd was brutal to Sanchez is his last two home games and it got so bad the Jets pulled him against Arizona and did not play him in their home finale against the Chargers opting instead to play McElroy who was not ready for the speed of a NFL game on that day.

    Logically the Jets should release Sanchez on Monday if they cant work a trade out for him on Saturday. It clears the books which is what the Jets are looking to do as they prepare to turn this all around in 2014, the same as the Raiders. John Idzik was around a situation last year where he had a mid priced QB in Matt Flynn, low cost rookie in Russell Wilson, and mid priced veteran in Tarvaris Jackson. That same situation to me would be Tebow, Garrard, and Geno Smith. One player is maintained after the summer and one is released or traded. Of course nothing would surprise me with the Jets and maybe the person to be cut is Tebow and the Jets hope they can still do something with Sanchez rather than to pay him while he plays elsewhere.

    http://overthecap.com/jets-financial...e-qb-position/
    Great stuff. See ya, Mark.

  18. #58
    Almost feel bad for Mark now that the end is near - should have been on the bench before the butt fumble...

    Then I remember how the Titans game ended and the cheers for gmac in the Arizona game and agree it's time

    Trade idea seems better for both sides

  19. #59
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Midlothian, VA
    Posts
    658
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I'm sure demos is out there somewhere LOVING this.


    What a disaster it would be to still have this duck-throwing clown around.
    By Tebow getting support it make him more attractive to another team. It allows the Jets to 1. salvage their reputation from the perceived notion they screwed over the kid 2. Get something for him by allowing him to resurrect his career. Either way they have change the perception of this team to attract better free agents if they want to. Like it or not Tebow is liked personally by a lot of players. They probably were tired of all the hype but didn't want to see him ruined by an inept team.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets337 View Post
    My prediction is the Jets will try to get Sanchez to lower his number or somehow make him inactive. It probably won't work so then we cut him and our QBs are Garrard Tebow and Smith. We haven't cut Tebow and he now has a few supporters according to ESPN.com. He is also classy and would help Smith any way he could.
    What does that mean?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us