Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Geno pick gives Rex multiple more years here.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    No it doesn't. It proved that some Gama are stupid. Heard him say that and couldn't understand that a coach has to have and show confidence in his team.

And only a fool thinks that makes him an idiot or a clown. And means he should be fired. Really who is this stupid?
    And only a idiot a fool and a clown would resort to name calling and belittling someone because they don't agree with a post!Now really who is that stupid?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    SAR is rigging a noose on one of the basement pipes in his mansion as we speak. lol
    Drafting a few kids changes nothing, especially with Rex Ryan here to develop them.

We're still a 3-13 team. Rex is still a goner. Idzik built a board around BPA which isn't too juvenile a GM strategy for the expansion team he created. But he should have waited until next year for the QB when the two studs come out.

I don't mind drafting QB's non-stop until you find one, but from what I read Geno Smith isn't going to make it. We know what happens when you reach for the wrong QB (Pennington) try to find gold in later round (Clemens) or let Rex Ryan touch them (Sanchez). Geno has the triple whammy.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If only the Jets had listened to Sarry's sage advice and drafted future HOF franchise QB Matt Leinart

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    To paraphrase BBQ-Herm: "You can't teach talent." This basically means that the growth every PLAYER makes in understanding the game has a limited upside.

I believe that this is ABSOLUTELY NOT true for head coaching. There one can learn from their mistakes and improve immensely with time. Rex came in as an excellent defensive coordinator, but spent a while maturing from there. The mistakes include:

• Ignore the offense.
    • Model the offense on a premise that is obsolete under modern rules.
    • Talk up mediocre players to the point that either you've coaxed or fooled the GM into paying them beyond their true ability.
    • Lack of humility.

The first of these can't be addressed by Ryan since he is not an offensive mind. Mornhinweg HAS the offensive mind relieving Rex of this task. It would not work to expect Rex to become the mind of the offense and this is no longer required.

The second HAS been a realization that Rex will not repeat. Hiring Sparano to finally run the offense Rex’s way proved decisively that this premise should remain part of the past.

The third point has been addressed by Idzik. We’ve had a thorough cleansing of the unbalanced salary situation (particularly on defense). Indeed, such a cleansing leaves us initially shallow across the field. Currently with a reasonable number of draft picks and a set of “value targets” in free agency, we’re prepared with camp-competitions at many of the thin spots. The result WILL be that every one of these posts is held at the season’s start by a winner of a competition. The result WILL NOT be that we have found the long term answer at every competed spot. However, we have many picks next year and if we continue to follow the BPA drafting format, more competition will solidify some but not all of the weak spots remaining after this year. Competition is to mediocrity as light is to shadow. We just need to continue with this philosophy for a steady term.

If last year’s performance did not teach humility this year’s schedule will. Now we play many teams with winning records. Don’t make your schedule predictions based upon the number of wins last year and the relative strength of the team. Base them instead on this year’s competition (see point three) and you see another lesson in humility looming on the horizon.

Some post about “serviceable” players when they are surrounded with the right support structure. Let’s talk about a “serviceable” head coach. Rex was “thrown in” with Schotty as his OC and Tanny as his GM. Rex then foolishly chose Sparano with Tanny approving. Now Rex has Mornhinweg and Idzik. With this support Rex is a “serviceable” head coach and I agree with SOOTH, he will get an extension.

He will also have an opportunity to learn from the past and improve since head coaching is a mental challenge, not a physical one. Let’s hope he takes this opportunity.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGeek View Post
    To paraphrase BBQ-Herm: "You can't teach talent." This basically means that the growth every PLAYER makes in understanding the game has a limited upside.

I believe that this is ABSOLUTELY NOT true for head coaching. There one can learn from their mistakes and improve immensely with time. Rex came in as an excellent defensive coordinator, but spent a while maturing from there. The mistakes include:

• Ignore the offense.
    • Model the offense on a premise that is obsolete under modern rules.
    • Talk up mediocre players to the point that either you've coaxed or fooled the GM into paying them beyond their true ability.
    • Lack of humility.

The first of these can't be addressed by Ryan since he is not an offensive mind. Mornhinweg HAS the offensive mind relieving Rex of this task. It would not work to expect Rex to become the mind of the offense and this is no longer required.

The second HAS been a realization that Rex will not repeat. Hiring Sparano to finally run the offense Rex’s way proved decisively that this premise should remain part of the past.

The third point has been addressed by Idzik. We’ve had a thorough cleansing of the unbalanced salary situation (particularly on defense). Indeed, such a cleansing leaves us initially shallow across the field. Currently with a reasonable number of draft picks and a set of “value targets” in free agency, we’re prepared with camp-competitions at many of the thin spots. The result WILL be that every one of these posts is held at the season’s start by a winner of a competition. The result WILL NOT be that we have found the long term answer at every competed spot. However, we have many picks next year and if we continue to follow the BPA drafting format, more competition will solidify some but not all of the weak spots remaining after this year. Competition is to mediocrity as light is to shadow. We just need to continue with this philosophy for a steady term.

If last year’s performance did not teach humility this year’s schedule will. Now we play many teams with winning records. Don’t make your schedule predictions based upon the number of wins last year and the relative strength of the team. Base them instead on this year’s competition (see point three) and you see another lesson in humility looming on the horizon.

Some post about “serviceable” players when they are surrounded with the right support structure. Let’s talk about a “serviceable” head coach. Rex was “thrown in” with Schotty as his OC and Tanny as his GM. Rex then foolishly chose Sparano with Tanny approving. Now Rex has Mornhinweg and Idzik. With this support Rex is a “serviceable” head coach and I agree with SOOTH, he will get an extension.

He will also have an opportunity to learn from the past and improve since head coaching is a mental challenge, not a physical one. Let’s hope he takes this opportunity.
    Rex Ryan is going to go 3-13 and get fired.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

SAR I
    Opinions: Everybody gets to have at least one.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGeek View Post
    Opinions: Everybody gets to have at least one.
    No question about it.

It's better than letting the draft falsely convince you that the Jets are a good team, something that too many do around here. You think they would have learned their lesson by now.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Rex is a stopgap in a lost season.

Let him sit and stew in this mess he created with Tannenbaum.
    Yup.

The draft dorks do this every year. Just like the goth kids who only look normal on Halloween. Adding three prospects is nice but the loss of Revis offsets two of them and the third is a guy that everyone passed on.

Nothing has changed. In fact, things got worse.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    No question about it.

It's better than letting the draft falsely convince you that the Jets are a good team, something that too many do around here. You think they would have learned their lesson by now.

SAR I
    Hope springs eternal (try some...its free and fun...then again you already seem to be having fun).

The draft is a component of building toward a good team. Current opinions range from the best draft to the worst draft in team history. My money is on "in between".

The interesting fact is that when the truth is known, someone WILL have gauged the value of this draft correctly (even broken clocks are right twice per day). This is why so many people flock to slot machines and JI.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    His boy Sanchez is gone and the pick of Smith puts an exclamation point to the team's gutting and rebuilding.

Unless the team goes like 2-14, he'll get an extension.
    He should, I have no problem with that. If you look at his 4 years here, as a HC, he has gottten the most out of the talent on the field. However, I want Idzik to greatly limit Rex's role in personnel decisions.
    Last edited by JetsFanatic; 04-27-2013 at 07:36 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yup.

The draft dorks do this every year. Just like the goth kids who only look normal on Halloween. Adding three prospects is nice but the loss of Revis offsets two of them and the third is a guy that everyone passed on.

Nothing has changed. In fact, things got worse.

SAR I
    Everything just got better. We just got an extra chance to keep Rex here long-term.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    Everything just got better. We just got an extra chance to keep Rex here long-term.
    Sure, if the Jets go 11-5.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

See ya, Rex.

SAR I

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

SAR I
    SAR, before Geno was drafted I fully agreed with you but with this move, and based on Woody's man crush on the big guy, you're going to have to come to terms that he's going to be here for a while. Even if we are 3-13.

He'll get extended before camp starts.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    SAR, before Geno was drafted I fully agreed with you but with this move, and based on Woody's man crush on the big guy, you're going to have to come to terms that he's going to be here for a while. Even if we are 3-13.

I hope he does get extended. If someone can tell me a team he coached that did not either exceed or perform to their talent level, I'd like to know.

He went to two AFC title games with no QB. I don't see why he should be fired.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    His boy Sanchez is gone and the pick of Smith puts an exclamation point to the team's gutting and rebuilding.

Unless the team goes like 2-14, he'll get an extension.
    I agree and I think Rex is the best HC for this organization even during rebuilding.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I agree and I think Rex is the best HC for this organization even during rebuilding.
    +1

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

If I purchase firerexryannow.com will you allow me to buy banner ads on Jets Insider?

Social media can do amazing things.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sure, if the Jets go 11-5.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

See ya, Rex.

SAR I
    Rex was one godawful QB away from being competitive last year. If Marty can squeeze a drop of competence out of Geno (or Garrard, for that matter), we'll be competitive this year.

Get ready to have a whole bunch to ***** about. :

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex was one godawful QB away from being competitive last year. If Marty can squeeze a drop of competence out of Geno (or Garrard, for that matter), we'll be competitive this year.

The Jets defense was worse than the Jets quarterback last year.

It's amazing how Jets fans rebound year after year, forget everything, just want to pretend everything's alright.

Last season happened. Avoid standing under the Mind Eraser every April. Will do you some good.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

You are correct. Rex should have been named coach of the year in 2012 for actually winning six games with the turnover machine that was behind center . We are getting rid of the real problem - Mark "Butt-fumble" Sanchez.