Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: why did gino smith fall into the 2nd

Quote Originally Posted by persiussa View Post
    Originally Posted by billygreen
    Did you see the graceless way this kid came out and accepted his Jets hat after being selected? Walking out all jiveass and gangsta? I'm telling you right now this "Geno Jiveass" fool is going to be the biggest cancer the NFL has seen since Terrell Owens, and Idzik just threw him into your lockerroom...

They were booing him.
    MIXED reaction is not outright booing, persi.

And anyway, those Jets fans(if they can call themselves that) will just have to DEAL WITH IT. Geno is a JET and if they can't handle that, they should really go root for another friggin' team....

Undrafted Free Agent
    32 fumbles

Hall Of Fame
    I am VERY EXCITED about this pick! Bills are dumb.....LOL!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Anyone have handy stats on how many of those fumbles were from this past year? How many lost?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    I watched it and I didn't see the same thing that you think you did. I saw a kid that was very humble and happy to be selected.

He was also the only kid selected in the 2nd round that was actually there to come out on stage.

Are you prejudice?

That's a serious question FYI.....
    Further that...one of the knocks on him is he is NOT aggressive off the field, laid back etc.

I am with you..I saw nothing but humble appreciation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Geno's completion percentage is so high because he threw the highest number of screens and shorter passes amongst draft eligible college qbs last seaon. He also had two very good receivers and was in a very a friendly college system... .

This is why he was not drafted in the first. Aaccording to Gruden EJ Manuel was the most charismatic (best leader) of the QB's he interviewed for the draft. Myself, I was leaning towards Glennon, I felt that despite his immobility he has a higher upside long term.

I was not impressed with Geno's attitude wearing a Jets hat - the rule for football is even if you are getting hammered 42 to 0 never let them see you discouraged, never show emotional weakness. Sanchez was prone to the hangdog look. The likely reason he attended he second day was that there was a Don Banks article in SI stating that Smith was too disgusted to go the second day and it reflected really poorly on his character . Smith knew with the bad publicity he woul likely plummet further. By the time day two started it was obvious he had to show up for day two or loose a lot of money.

Smith is a Jet now, I want him to be successful but if you examine the detailed stats more closely, it suggests that the Smith seen in college may be a product of a great team situation for him.

Arguably the best QB ever completely shows his emotion, pouts and looks like he is going to cry when things are not going his way. He plays for Denver now.

Hasn't seemed to hold him back.

he stayed around because a gm called him and said he was going to be picked. wouldn't you? the guy sounds and acts like a punk.

I took it as a good sign that he actually stuck around for day two of the draft despite reports that he was going to fly home- and he came out on stage when he was picked.

Showed some pride and humility.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Arguably the best QB ever completely shows his emotion, pouts and looks like he is going to cry when things are not going his way. He plays for Denver now.

Hasn't seemed to hold him back.
    I think if Geno Smith had one quarter the talent of Manning, I'd let him pout all he wants. Manning does not behave like that off the field.

Quote Originally Posted by J.E.T.Sfan4life View Post
    JETS fans JETS fans, what kills me with 'em is their expert levels of nothing. Every draft pick from the 1st to the last pick there are no guarantees. Geno Smith was the BPA at 39th. If the JETS did not pick this kid at 39th and he some how happen to drop to one of the PATS 2nd round picks and the PATS so happen to select him. Oh my phucking god this site would crash by these very same JETS fans who today criticize this pick.

- no one is saying Geno Smith is the greatest thing since slice cheese but damn!! support the pick and give the kid a chance.
    If we passed on Geno in the 2nd round, I probably wouldn't want anything to do with this team for a long time. Had to make the pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    I think if Geno Smith had one quarter the talent of Manning, I'd let him pout all he wants. Manning does not behave like that off the field.
    You'd let Geno pout, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    THANK YOU!!!!

Simple but incredibly sound post!!!!!
    My worry is that having Smith will stop Idzik from drafting a potential franchise QB if given the opportunity next year. I'm not sold on Smith ever being franchise quality QB. Sorry. Watched a lot of him (family member at WVU) and I don't think a lot of people who are gushing over him have ever seen him play outside of the highlight reel. He is inconsistent and not a great decision maker. He fumbles an incredible amount which really has me worried. Sorry, but until I see better, Smith is merely meh and in most other drafts he would not be close to sniffing the 2d round. Thank God we didn't squander any additional picks to get him. That would have been lunacy, and most of JI was behind that idea Friday afternoon

Sorry, I'd like to join the Geno SMith happy-happy-joy-joy party, but I just don't see the kid having FQB talent. David Lee and Morningweg better do an outstanding job with him and Idzik better be willing to grab a better opportunity in the 2014 draft to acquire a true FQB.

I just see it differently from most here and thank God I visit several other Jets forums because there are many others who also feel this way, so I know I'm not crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardTodd27 View Post
    If we passed on Geno in the 2nd round, I probably wouldn't want anything to do with this team for a long time. Had to make the pick.
    We really should have tried to trade back. Who knows.. maybe we did or maybe there were some teams willing to give us this year's 3rd + next year's 2d or even more to move into 39 to grab Smith. Maybe Philly would have given up much more to move to 39... they did move up in the 3rd to get Barkley. I guess we'll never know.

Quote Originally Posted by rajensen088 View Post
    I would have felt better if Idzak hadn't been taken to school by the Rams moving up in front of the Jets and stealing WR Tavon Austin the most dynamic WR in the draft who was Geno Smith's teammate and go to reciever at West Virgina.
    well there's the ghost of the old usenet irrational Bob Jensen. You're actually criticizing Idzik for not trading up to get Austin?

I would have wanted to tar & feather Idzik and run him out of town on a rail if he gave up precious picks to move up from 9. No more trading up. No more wasting picks for borrowed players either. All of Tannenbaum's trading up and trading picks for active players left this team woefully thin at almost every position. That era is thankfully over.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    My worry is that having Smith will stop Idzik from drafting a potential franchise QB if given the opportunity next year. I'm not sold on Smith ever being franchise quality QB. Sorry. Watched a lot of him (family member at WVU) and I don't think a lot of people who are gushing over him have ever seen him play outside of the highlight reel. He is inconsistent and not a great decision maker. He fumbles an incredible amount which really has me worried. Sorry, but until I see better, Smith is merely meh and in most other drafts he would not be close to sniffing the 2d round. Thank God we didn't squander any additional picks to get him. That would have been lunacy, and most of JI was behind that idea Friday afternoon

Sorry, I'd like to join the Geno SMith happy-happy-joy-joy party, but I just don't see the kid having FQB talent. David Lee and Morningweg better do an outstanding job with him and Idzik better be willing to grab a better opportunity in the 2014 draft to acquire a true FQB.

I just see it differently from most here and thank God I visit several other Jets forums because there are many others who also feel this way, so I know I'm not crazy.
    That is exactly why I think Geno needs to play this season and not sit him. The Jets need to see if there is some real potential there, and sitting on the bench is not going to show that.

I dislike the Geno pick A LOT less in the second round than the first, but I agree that he has a lot of question marks regarding his ability to be an actual "franchise" type QB.

I took it as a good sign that he actually stuck around for day two of the draft despite reports that he was going to fly home- and he came out on stage when he was picked.

Showed some pride and humility.
    I have no question that he's a good kid. A family member at WVU knew him and Austin (Austin more b/c he dated her friend) and said they were both humble, respectful and good guys. Smith was, however, described as pretty damned dumb, but far from the "bad attitude, clubhouse problem" kind of guy that some people here are trying to depict him as.

My problem with Smith isn't his personality. It's his skill set, ball handling and decision making. Get to work now David Lee. You have A LOT of work to do.

I don't totally agree with your argument.

Geno was the best player available and the best QB available when we picked him in the 2nd round. With the Jets QB situation what it is, there is no way you don't make that pick when he falls in your lap in the 2nd round.

At the very least, he adds some legit competition to the weakest and most important offensive position on the Jets roster.
    I will be upset if drafting Smith now makes the Jets less likely to go after a stronger franchise QB candidate in next year's draft. That's my biggest worry.

I have no question that he's a good kid. A family member at WVU knew him and Austin (Austin more b/c he dated her friend) and said they were both humble, respectful and good guys. Smith was, however, described as pretty damned dumb, but far from the "bad attitude, clubhouse problem" kind of guy that some people here are trying to depict him as.

My problem with Smith isn't his personality. It's his skill set, ball handling and decision making. Get to work now David Lee. You have A LOT of work to do.
    do you think that the jets brass would sit at dinner with someone who is "pretty damned dumb" and say, yes we should draft him? i worked with a guy who went to U of Rochester with Brian Dabol...and he told me that Dabol was known as being "pretty dumb"... didn't mean much.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    thank you

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Who cares, we got him 39th overall & every serious mocker out there had him going somewhere in the 1st round.
    Jets need to take a QB every year until we find one.
    Had they been thinking like this they would have realized that Sanchez is terrible & might have gotten Wilson last year.
    Maybe Geno will be great under Marty.
    We actually have a real NFL OC to teach him.

Jets Insider VIP

I'm with you mostly except I don't think it will stop Idzik from drafting another QB next year in which case it is a squandered pick. I would rather they had used it on a skill player like a TE and filled a big hole there and waited to draft a qb till next year when there is likely to be a better talent pool to choose from. I also agree he seems 'dumb', all the raving about his intellect based on the gruden interview -that is memorized and he is repeating it by rote. When he speaks off the cuff he is a lot less 'articulate'. And agree with the skill set, people are judging it on the highlight reel. He looks very raw and unpolished. He doesn't throw on the run, he stops, plants his feet, scans the field, and then throws with his whole upper body making an arc into the throw.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 04-28-2013 at 09:55 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    He was drafted where he should have been drafted. In recent years the QBs have been reached for b.c teams have a need. This year we saw how the teams felt about the QB class as a whole. Most of the QB-needy teams at the top of the draft either signed a veteran or waited until the middle rounds.

Geno has some obvious talents but he also has his areas where he struggles. The 70% completion is a little misleading. There were stretched where he was very inaccurate and missed a lot of open receivers. Also, he did not play in a pro-style offense and that makes it harder to evaluate him.

Basically we were worst in the NFL at the QB position last year. I don't think Geno will ever be worst in the NFL so based on that he is an upgrade. Although I never thought Sanchez would be the worst in the NFL either.