Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: why did gino smith fall into the 2nd

I don't know if I'm the only one, but does anyone else pay special attention to starting QB's "look" in their eyes? The Brady/Rodgers look of confidence that says "I see my man and going to nail him right in the chest" that puts fear in all NFL DB's? Well I see the opposite here.

All I know is that if I can see fear and timidity in his eyes, so will NFL linebackers and DB's.

Not seeing that ice cold stare in any of the shots I've seen of him. More like eyes half droopy, fear for my life look. And that was in college.

As far as whether he is a premadona or a "nice guy", both are just as bad. I wouldn't want either leading my team.

Bit if you don't develop "that"(whatever you want to call it: confidence, security, killer instinct) as a QB, none of your skills matter. None.

Small hands and he can't throw a deep out. Could be footwork? but if you watch tape on Smith throwing the ball and Clemens coming out you take Clemens.

This is an interesting year. Morningwig is really the guy the Jets must count on to evaluate our O skill players. I like the fact that we have backs who can catch the ball. Nacho sucked way less when he had Tomlinson in the backfield. Geno is going to need the same help.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    My worry is that having Smith will stop Idzik from drafting a potential franchise QB if given the opportunity next year.
    Idzik has preached about taking BAP all year. If a guy is there next year that can help this team, regardless of position / need, they'll take him. I think we already saw this in Round One.

Only thing I think this would rule out is a mega-trade up like Washington for RGIII. But that doesn't seem Idzik's style anyway.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Really?

You might want to do some research:

Geno Smith has 98 TD's to only 21 INT's in his career.

He completed 71.2% of his passes last year with 42 TD's and only 6 INT's.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...025/geno-smith
    You can not really use stats to evaluate Smith's NFL potential. He played for Dana Holgorsen who is a disciple of Mike Leach and Hal Mumme. He runs he same offense Leach ran at Texas Tech, which produces a lot of yards and gaudy numbers, but few if any legit NFL QBs. Graham Harrell and Case Keenum both put up numbers equal to Geno's. Brandon Weeden is the only QB that has started an NFL game from that system.

Smith benefited from a QB friendly system that often ran plays were there was only one read and very short throws. He didnt have to throw into tight spaces a lot and he had two weapons in Austin and Bailey that took 5 yard screen passes and turned them into 60 yard TDs. The accuracy knock on Smith comes from the tougher throws across the middle and the ones where coverage was tighter that he missed. I am not saying he will be bust or never be effective in the NFL, I am just pointing out that using stats to justify Smith's accuracy as an attribute that will allow him to translate into the NFL, is false.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    You can not really use stats to evaluate Smith's NFL potential. He played for Dana Holgorsen who is a disciple of Mike Leach and Hal Mumme. He runs he same offense Leach ran at Texas Tech, which produces a lot of yards and gaudy numbers, but few if any legit NFL QBs. Graham Harrell and Case Keenum both put up numbers equal to Geno's. Brandon Weeden is the only QB that has started an NFL game from that system.

Smith benefited from a QB friendly system that often ran plays were there was only one read and very short throws. He didnt have to throw into tight spaces a lot and he had two weapons in Austin and Bailey that took 5 yard screen passes and turned them into 60 yard TDs. The accuracy knock on Smith comes from the tougher throws across the middle and the ones where coverage was tighter that he missed. I am not saying he will be bust or never be effective in the NFL, I am just pointing out that using stats to justify Smith's accuracy as an attribute that will allow him to translate into the NFL, is false.
    Well said! Quality post / info!

Everything you said is spot on but that can be said about ANY spread option QB.

The thing is with the current trend in the NFL to go towards spread option offenses, the whole "translation" thing goes out the window if the Jets decide to implement a pistol offense.

Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    he stayed around because a gm called him and said he was going to be picked. wouldn't you? the guy sounds and acts like a punk.
    Even better a punk is guy who pouts about being drafted #1 overall... Particularly when they just had a tribute to a fallen soldier who turned down a lucrative contract to serve his country. What was his name... Oh yeah, Eli M.

Hall Of Fame

True enough but you failed to mention that the HAL MUMME scheme is a lightening fast scheme that calls for the QB to make very fast decisions and throws. GENO did just that with success. I never use stats to prove anything. We all know that stats dont lie but liars use stats!

GENO has flaws. It will take awhile to iron them out. There is no denying that the talent and dedication to succeed is there for this kid. I see lines drawing up either for or against him. Sad but true. So many have their own agenda.

As a Jets fan I am hoping that we have found our Franchise QB who can lead us to a SUPER BOWL and win it! I do not care for stats I just want to win. I think GENO can do just that with TLC from Garrard and our OC and QB coach.

MM was at GENO's pro day and came away in awe. I trust his judgement having worked and helped developed several prominent QBs in the NFL.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ytfootballfan View Post
    Everything you said is spot on but that can be said about ANY spread option QB.

The thing is with the current trend in the NFL to go towards spread option offenses, the whole "translation" thing goes out the window if the Jets decide to implement a pistol offense.
    Except WVU did not run the spread option. Smith ran for only 152 yards last season. They ran the Texas Tech offense which is not an option based offense, but a pass first and pass often high tempo offense. My point was more that this type of offense often produces gaudy stats, but those stats do not tell the whole story about a QB's ability to play and be successful in the NFL.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    True enough but you failed to mention that the HAL MUMME scheme is a lightening fast scheme that calls for the QB to make very fast decisions and throws. GENO did just that with success. I never use stats to prove anything. We all know that stats dont lie but liars use stats!

GENO has flaws. It will take awhile to iron them out. There is no denying that the talent and dedication to succeed is there for this kid. I see lines drawing up either for or against him. Sad but true. So many have their own agenda.

As a Jets fan I am hoping that we have found our Franchise QB who can lead us to a SUPER BOWL and win it! I do not care for stats I just want to win. I think GENO can do just that with TLC from Garrard and our OC and QB coach.

MM was at GENO's pro day and came away in awe. I trust his judgement having worked and helped developed several prominent QBs in the NFL.
    I realize that, Holgorsen was just an assistant at Valdosta State with Mumme, then went to Texas Tech and started to adopt the Mike Leach style. His offenses at Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and WVU are more Leach's style than Mumme's style. The fast decisions are based more on giving the QB only one read on a specific play than having him drop back, read the coverage and then make a decision on where to go with the ball.
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 04-28-2013 at 11:19 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    I realize that, Holgorsen was just an assistant at Valdosta State with Mumme, then went to Texas Tech and started to adopt the Mike Leach style. His offenses at Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and WVU are more Leach's style than Mumme's style.
    Now Geno will be running MM's version of the WCO for which he is supremely suited and prepared for!

Great points. I still question the Smith picked because I wanted to give Sanchez this year while addressing other critical areas of need. Besides, as DCAT posted, I also hope this doesn't mean that we don' draft a QB next year in a better QB class. Now if Smith proves me wrong, fantastic. As I heard on ESPN/NFLN yesterday, the 2000 QB class was considered very weak too. It turned out ok for the cheating scumbags up north (NE).

In regards to Geno's passing game, fair points. However, NE/Brady's game lives off the quick short pass too. How much of Tammy's yardage is YAC to a RB or one of the TEs?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Now Geno will be running MM's version of the WCO for which he is supremely suited and prepared for!
    I hope so.

God only knows...

Heard yesterday on the radio that Geno Smith after 4 games had thrown 25 touchdowns and ZERO interceptions. Even more impressive is that he had only 28 incompletions.

Obviously, that's college, but those are very impressive numbers. So really I have no idea why Smith slipped to the 2nd round. I'm just happy the Jets managed to get a potential franchise type QB so soon under John Idzik.

Except WVU did not run the spread option. Smith ran for only 152 yards last season. They ran the Texas Tech offense which is not an option based offense, but a pass first and pass often high tempo offense. My point was more that this type of offense often produces gaudy stats, but those stats do not tell the whole story about a QB's ability to play and be successful in the NFL.
    Not really sure what your definition of the spread option is, but WVU had Geno in the pistol most of the time, which is pretty much a staple formation for any type of college spread option offense. They just have a lot of variations of it. The Texas Tech offense is one of them.

At the end of the day they all involve read option, zone read, pistol formations with a lot of tight end and running back help for short drops, short passes with significant yards after catch and of course a mobile QB who gives you a running threat. They're all spread option offenses with just variations in philosophy and approach. When it's all said and done, it's the same idea. He's definitely a spread option QB though.

All League
    Its Geno!

Geno Smith = new Jets qb

Gino = the guy from the pizza place

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ytfootballfan View Post
    Not really sure what your definition of the spread option is, but WVU had Geno in the pistol most of the time, which is pretty much a staple formation for any type of college spread option offense. They just have a lot of variations of it. The Texas Tech offense is one of them.

At the end of the day they all involve read option, zone read, pistol formations with a lot of tight end and running back help for short drops, short passes with significant yards after catch and of course a mobile QB who gives you a running threat. They're all spread option offenses with just variations in philosophy and approach. When it's all said and done, it's the same idea. He's definitely a spread option QB though.
    Again, the WVU offense was not about the QB being a threat in the running game. Look no further than Geno having only 65 rush attempts and 165 net yards rushing. He had 4 games where he rushed for negative yards. Its a spread offense, just not a spread option offense. The spread read option offense that Rich Rodriguez ran with Pat white at WVU is very different than the spread, uptempo pass first offense that Holgosen ran with Smith.
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 04-28-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by persiussa View Post
    Originally Posted by billygreen
    Did you see the graceless way this kid came out and accepted his Jets hat after being selected? Walking out all jiveass and gangsta? I'm telling you right now this "Geno Jiveass" fool is going to be the biggest cancer the NFL has seen since Terrell Owens, and Idzik just threw him into your lockerroom...

They were booing him.
    Jet fans boo every pick we make. Nothing new there.

Geno fell to 39 because he's not a great prospect. Now can he be a good prospect? Sure. I think the upside for Geno is he becomes the younger version of the guy he will be backing up next season David Garrard.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Geno fell to 39 because he's not a great prospect. Now can he be a good prospect? Sure. I think the upside for Geno is he becomes the younger version of the guy he will be backing up next season David Garrard.

This sums it up. Sánchez was a MUCH better prospect coming out of college. Geno is more of a Kellen Clemens level of prospect. Clemens was actually regarded as a 1st round pick until he got hurt his senior year. So don't expect Smith to be anything but a jag and that's if we get lucky.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro