Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: why did gino smith fall into the 2nd

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    This sums it up. Sánchez was a MUCH better prospect coming out of college. Geno is more of a Kellen Clemens level of prospect. Clemens was actually regarded as a 1st round pick until he got hurt his senior year. So don't expect Smith to be anything but a jag and that's if we get lucky.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro
    Geno has a big advantage, though. He will have a real mentor (Garrard), a real OC, and real QB coach. The team is a lot less talented, but he has the right teachers in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    This sums it up. Sánchez was a MUCH better prospect coming out of college. Geno is more of a Kellen Clemens level of prospect. Clemens was actually regarded as a 1st round pick until he got hurt his senior year. So don't expect Smith to be anything but a jag and that's if we get lucky.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro
    Let's hope Geno Smith is nothing like Kellen Clunkers. That guy sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by jets rooter View Post
    I am very curious why gino smith fell out of the first round.I remember seeing him wrack up mucho touchdowns ln 2012.he seemed unstopable.lets hear some opinions on this subject.

Nolan Nawrocki @ Pro Football Weekly nuked Geno earlier this month

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Now Geno will be running MM's version of the WCO for which he is supremely suited and prepared for!
    "supremely" suited? "supremely" prepared for? LOL... too funny

"Supremely"? based on what? Sorry but the post is riddled with unbridled homer optimism and not based on anything substantive. Geno Smith is a great big question mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    God only knows...

Heard yesterday on the radio that Geno Smith after 4 games had thrown 25 touchdowns and ZERO interceptions. Even more impressive is that he had only 28 incompletions.

Obviously, that's college, but those are very impressive numbers. So really I have no idea why Smith slipped to the 2nd round. I'm just happy the Jets managed to get a potential franchise type QB so soon under John Idzik.
    You said why yourself. His numbers were reflective of the style of offense they played. Not his skill set. Which is as questionable as many of the QBs taken later. He dropped because most GMs understand this and are not significantly influenced by the pundit position rankings prior to the draft.

Idzik should have traded back from 39 to some team willing to be deceived by Smith's ridiculous 1st round position ranking in this draft. We would have acquired additional picks for Friday and/or Saturday as well as a 2d rounder next year. We could have taken Barkley, Bray, Wilson, Scott, even Nassib, all of whom rate out similarly and not that far off from Geno Smith.

Idzik took the safe approach and was probably acquiescing to who Woody. Idzik said to the press before the draft that "Woody really likes Geno". Oh my God. I don't think Woody should be evaluating talent and dictating the decisions of the GM. Idzik, as a fledgling GM, will let Woody and Rex call too many shots without offering legitimate counterarguments.

We could have done much better with moving out of 39. I have no doubt there would have been a suitor. (See Philadelphia who actually moved up to get Barkley.) Wonder what they would have given us to get Smith? We'll never know now.

Give me Bridgewater next year.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    You said why yourself. His numbers were reflective of the style of offense they played. Not his skill set. Which is as questionable as many of the QBs taken later. He dropped because most GMs understand this and are not significantly influenced by the pundit position rankings prior to the draft.

Idzik should have traded back from 39 to some team willing to be deceived by Smith's ridiculous 1st round position ranking in this draft. We would have acquired additional picks for Friday and/or Saturday as well as a 2d rounder next year. We could have taken Barkley, Bray, Wilson, Scott, even Nassib, all of whom rate out similarly and not that far off from Geno Smith.

Idzik took the safe approach and was probably acquiescing to who Woody. Idzik said to the press before the draft that "Woody really likes Geno". Oh my God. I don't think Woody should be evaluating talent and dictating the decisions of the GM. Idzik, as a fledgling GM, will let Woody and Rex call too many shots without offering legitimate counterarguments.

We could have done much better with moving out of 39. I have no doubt there would have been a suitor. (See Philadelphia who actually moved up to get Barkley.) Wonder what they would have given us to get Smith? We'll never know now.

Give me Bridgewater next year.
    If Philly had any interest in Geno they'd have taken him 4 spots before we did.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jzelada121 View Post
    Its Geno!

Geno Smith = new Jets qb

Gino = the guy from the pizza place
    I think you're on a losing battle with this one ... I saw a poster here these past few weeks who thought Mike Munchak was our OC.