Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College FB watchers: What are Geno Smith comparables?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

College FB watchers: What are Geno Smith comparables?

Not debating the merits of the pick because I have barely seen this guy.

For those that follow the college game - what other NFL QBs past and present would you compare Geno Smith to?

I had heard somewhere a comparison to Tannehill - who looked like a reach last draft but played competently for the fins . . .

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Elway, Montana, Brady, Steve Young.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Um . . .sober college football fans: . . . same question.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's comparable to :

Geno Smith.

Why?

Because it's stupid to make comparisons to other established QBs before letting him take the field.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Romo / Tannehill

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aaron Brooks or Tavaris Jackson

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a quick decent breakdown on him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...st-virginia-qb

Smith has what it takes to evolve into an NFL quarterback.*That said, he's not ready to step into a team's starting lineup and perform at a high level. His footwork, accuracy and ability to read the field must improve, and Smith would be better off sitting behind a veteran for a year before becoming the starter for his new team.If Smith lives up to his full potential in the NFL, he could easily work his way into the conversation as a top-10 signal-caller. He has the right attitude to achieve this goal, isn't afraid to put in the hard work and possesses all the physical attributes to make it happen.*There's a good chance Smith will be a top-10 pick in this year's draft. Teams without franchise quarterbacks are desperate to find one and, as such, are more willing than they should be to reach for one.*I have Smith as a late first-round pick on my big board, and I'll be surprised if he's not a competent starter in two or three years.*

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    He's comparable to :

Geno Smith.

Why?

Because it's stupid to make comparisons to other established QBs before letting him take the field.
    No it's no stupid. I am not asking you all to say how well he's going to do in the NFL - I am asking WHAT his game is like - strengths - weaknesses - 'who does he remind you of?'

But I forgot that we don't come here to talk football - just to whine

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Little bit of Matt Ryan, little bit of Romo. Not sure. He has an interesting skillset

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Skiddish in the pocket. Reminds me a bit of Gabbert.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reminds me of McNabb a bit.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    A Stafford as a passer but he is more of McNabb ability wise. Weaker arm but but more athletic the Stafford. More accurate then McNabb coming out but less natural instincts. Maybe a Romo like guy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Little bit of Matt Ryan, little bit of Romo. Not sure. He has an interesting skillset
    Wow - Matt Ryan is comparable????????

A 6'4 pocket passer with every leadership and QB intellect possible. A guy who led a mediocore BC team to the #2 ranking?

Geno comparisons are andre ware, chase daniel, and every other spread offense college QB out there. This guy happens to also have a strong arm and can run fast so he is a "top pick"

He can't read defenses, struggles with accuracy when rushed and had 32 fumbles....thats a problem

And its certainly not comparable to matt ryan

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    A Stafford as a passer but he is more of McNabb ability wise. Weaker arm but but more athletic the Stafford. More accurate then McNabb coming out but less natural instincts. Maybe a Romo like guy.

wtf?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

Well - even if he's in the Romo mold - I can live with that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Reminds me of McNabb a bit.
    Was about to post this.

Coming out of college Mcnabb was a far better runner than Geno. Geno can run (4.59/40), but he is not elusive.

he can run the spread option, but rarely takes off with the ball. Both are 6'2'.

Has a nice deep ball and when he gets going can look great, but when his confidence gets shot he can make some really bad throws (like Mcnabb).

Lol at the poster that compared him to Aaron Brooks/Tavaris Jackson. That was stolen out of draft profiles. Brooks, in his senior year threw 12 TDs and 9 ints. Geno threw 42 Tds with 7 Ints in his final year.

And tavaris jackson played at Alabama state. How many games did that poster watch of Jackson in college? And against crappy competition Jackson's best year was 29td/5ints.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aaron Brooks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

A 6'4 pocket passer with every leadership and QB intellect possible. A guy who led a mediocore BC team to the #2 ranking?

Geno comparisons are andre ware, chase daniel, and every other spread offense college QB out there. This guy happens to also have a strong arm and can run fast so he is a "top pick"

He can't read defenses, struggles with accuracy when rushed and had 32 fumbles....thats a problem

He doesn't have a weak arm like Ryan.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds familiar...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've made this comparison for a long time now and Tony Pauline agreed...

Matt Hasselbeck circa his Seattle days

I don't think he'll ever be an "elite" QB, but I think he can be a respectable Top 15 type of guy for 8-10 years.