Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: College FB watchers: What are Geno Smith comparables?

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Wow - Matt Ryan is comparable????????

A 6'4 pocket passer with every leadership and QB intellect possible. A guy who led a mediocore BC team to the #2 ranking?

Geno comparisons are andre ware, chase daniel, and every other spread offense college QB out there. This guy happens to also have a strong arm and can run fast so he is a "top pick"

He can't read defenses, struggles with accuracy when rushed and had 32 fumbles....thats a problem

And its certainly not comparable to matt ryan
    Similar body type to Ryan, similar throwing motion and velocity (Smith has a little more juice on the ball), and if you knew anything about Smith, you'd know he literally never left the pocket his senior year. Andre Ware, Chase Daniel? I get that you hate him but come on....
    Last edited by SlickBri481; 04-26-2013 at 11:29 PM.

Am I the only one who finds it strange that some people will only compare Geno to other black QBs? He rarely runs. He's very much a pocket guy, sorry to disappoint if some thought we were getting a read option type

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Skiddish in the pocket. Reminds me a bit of Gabbert.
    Skiddish in the pocket? That's absolutely horse crap and an attempt to knock him down without watching him. He absolutely smoked defenses when they blitzed and is very fluid and calm in the pocket.

Jets Insider VIP
    He has a much better arm then Gabbert and is a dual threat! You obviously were opposed to the pick but the facts are what they are! He is far more talented then Gabbert!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Am I the only one who finds it strange that some people will only compare Geno to other black QBs? He rarely runs. He's very much a pocket guy, sorry to disappoint if some thought we were getting a read option type
    I'm betting the majority of these guys have never seen him play a single game.

If he didn't teeter off during the 2nd half of last season, Kansas City never would've traded for Alex Smith.

All League
    Yep. Simpletons also have a tendency to take your comparison as what you are projecting out of a player, like the poster did with your Ryan thought. Others have compared parts of Smith's skill set to Ryan, so I think you had a good point.

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    Skiddish in the pocket? That's absolutely horse crap and an attempt to knock him down without watching him. He absolutely smoked defenses when they blitzed and is very fluid and calm in the pocket.
    Someone should post his numbers against the blitz. They're excellent. Comparable to RGIII's, if I'm remembering.

Veteran
    I've never seem Smith play, but I am satisfied - hearing everyone's thoughts - that he's a legit pick where we got him. It doesn't sound like he's a day one starter, but sounds like he has the base skills and mindset to really benefit from some seasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I'm betting the majority of these guys have never seen him play a single game.

If he didn't teeter off during the 2nd half of last season, Kansas City never would've traded for Alex Smith.
    Some of the teetering off I do believe was because he was playing with a D that regularly gave up 50+ points and 600+ yards. It's hard to find a rhythm as a QB when your D gives up a long TD drive every time the other team touches it

Agreed, people don't realize how in play this guy was for the #1 pick for large portions of the college football season

Some of the teetering off I do believe was because he was playing with a D that regularly gave up 50+ points and 600+ yards. It's hard to find a rhythm as a QB when your D gives up a long TD drive every time the other team touches it

Agreed, people don't realize how in play this guy was for the #1 pick for large portions of the college football season
    Yeah, he was in play for the Heisman AND #1 pick. The second half was a bit of a mess but it was all around for WVU. The bowl game was a disaster. I've never seen a QB have two safeties in a game. Geno always struggled against 'Cuse where Marrone was head coach and now is the Bills' HC, so hopefully that's not a problem.

Overall at 39, probably not a bad risk.

Any QB would have been skiddish behind WV's oline this past year. I'm a WV fan and the line was a big reason Geno fell off the second half of the season. That and the defense was so bad that WV fell so far behind all they could do was pass. He will be a solid QB for us.

How does his skill set compare to Russell Wilson?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    Aaron Brooks or Tavaris Jackson
    Because they're all Canadian?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Am I the only one who finds it strange that some people will only compare Geno to other black QBs?
    Yes.

Veteran
    He's right handed Tebow with a better release.
    Hell, I'm now rooting for Tebow to start.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I've made this comparison for a long time now and Tony Pauline agreed...

Matt Hasselbeck circa his Seattle days

I don't think he'll ever be an "elite" QB, but I think he can be a respectable Top 15 type of guy for 8-10 years.
    I think this is a good comparison. Also add the fact that he is very mobile.