Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 104

Thread: Geno Smith is absurdly underrated

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    I would have drafted Tyler Wilson. Geno doesn't beat top quality teams, only bad ones.

    I totally hope Geno develops though! I'm tired of this QB problem every year, every decade.
    I don't watch CFB, but from what I understand WV had NOTHING on the defensive side of the ball. That shouldn't be the case as long as Rex is here, so maybe he can play more within himself . . .

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    http://youtu.be/DxHXC5AsiVg

    Much better vid from his senior year
    Problem with this video is WV has better weapons than the Jets do. If Geno takes the field with anything similar to what was there last year, he'll fail just like Mark did. Just like any other QB in the league would.





    (Bring back Braylon)

  3. #23
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,385
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    um, no I didn't. I've always said gmac was a huge turd. look through my post history.
    My mistake

    Had you mixed up with someone else

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I like Austin, but please tell me the last time that a 5'8 170 lb receiver made a significant impact in this league?

    Don't even give me Harvin

    Harvin has 3 inches and 30 pounds on the guy.
    Just commenting on that particular clip, Austin had 4 TDs and most of them were catches behind the LOS, 2 were flips from Geno.

    A lot of the passes from Geno were Sanchez-esque, ie staring down receivers and then throwing behind them, might work against Clemson, won't work against NFL teams.

    FYI - I watch very little college ball, just commenting on this ONE CLIP. I like the fact that we got most peopleS #1 QB in the second round.
    Last edited by cjpeters9; 04-26-2013 at 11:21 PM.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I like Austin, but please tell me the last time that a 5'8 170 lb receiver made a significant impact in this league?

    Don't even give me Harvin

    Harvin has 3 inches and 30 pounds on the guy.

    Carolina's Steve Smith was 5'9 184lbs when he was drafted.....5 time Probowler, 3 time All-Pro.

  6. #26
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    100
    I like the pick. I think it signals that Sanchez will be released. Smith, Garrard, and Tebow competing to start. All three with a bigtime desire to show they "belong."

    Interesting camp.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by cjpeters9 View Post
    Just commenting on that particular clip, Austin had 4 TDs and most of them were catches behind the LOS, 2 were flips from Geno.

    A lot of the passes from Geno were Sanchez-esque, ie staring down receivers and then throwing behind them, might work against Clemson, won't work against NFL teams.

    FYI - I watch very little college ball, just commenting on this ONE CLIP. I like the fact that we got most peopleS #1 QB in the second round.
    Let's not forget that the guy threw up 42 TDs and 6 INTs.

    You're right -- he won't have the superior talent he often had at WV. But no one is expecting astronomical numbers, either. If he can just produce consistent play it will be a HUGE upgrade over what we've gotten used to these past few years . . .

  8. #28
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,468
    He doesn't appear to be very accurate and he tends to lock on the primary receiver.

    Basically Sanchez with wheels.

  9. #29
    Bill Parcells had four rules for drafting a QB:

    1.He must be a senior, because you need time and maturity to develop into a good professional quarterback.
    2. He must be a graduate, because you want someone who takes his responsibilities seriously.
    3.He must be a three-year starter, because you need to make sure his success wasn’t ephemeral and that he has lived as “the guy” for some period of time.
    4. He must have at least 23 wins, because the big passing numbers must come in the context of winning games.

    I believe Mark Sanchez has 0 and Geno Smith meets all 4.

  10. #30
    I love the pick I think when you have the highest rated QB in the draft with buttfumble as your QB the Jets had to pull the trigger. I don't think the Jets will be #1 to draft Bridgewater next year even with buttfumble no Holmes and a rookie Hill the Jets managed 6 wins that's what your looking at least next year so your aren't getting Bridgewater. This was a move the Jets needed to do just look at Arron Rogers a late first round pick and now look at him. This was a opportunity the Jets couldn't pass up. since Geno is a second round pick the Jets can still draft Bridgewater if this year is a disaster just look at Carolina with Clausen they drafted Newton the next year. good move spend the rest of the draft on some WRs and OL.

  11. #31
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    2,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB5OW9i7KHs

    Please take some time and look at this video of Smith vs. Clemson in the orange bowl.

    Those are elite nfl quarteback skills.

    Staying in the pocket, going through progressions, throwing bullets all over the field, making incredibly accurate short, intermediate, and deep throws. Running at the right times. It's crazy impressive. I really have no idea why people are saying this kid isn't ready to start from day one. He's shown as any QB i've seen in recent memory.

    I couldn't be more pumped about this pick. Honestly, he wasn't really in my radar cause I didn't see him as a possibility in the first round. After just a little bit of further inspection, I would have been ok with this guy at 9. He looks that good to me.
    I dunno much about him, except his stock fell as the season progressed. However, the first ten or so plays on that highlight reel were way too reminiscent of Sanchez for my liking. I just hope he can figure it out.

  12. #32
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrebet Crunch View Post
    Bill Parcells had four rules for drafting a QB:

    1.He must be a senior, because you need time and maturity to develop into a good professional quarterback.
    2. He must be a graduate, because you want someone who takes his responsibilities seriously.
    3.He must be a three-year starter, because you need to make sure his success wasn’t ephemeral and that he has lived as “the guy” for some period of time.
    4. He must have at least 23 wins, because the big passing numbers must come in the context of winning games.

    I believe Mark Sanchez has 0 and Geno Smith meets all 4.
    He also thought Rick Mirer was a sufficient back up for Vinny going into the 1999 season.

  13. #33
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northwest New Jersey
    Posts
    161
    I applauded the pick. For once in a long while, I'm excited. Geno will be more than a serviceable QB. I believe from what I've seen, and I've seen lots of games and film of him, he'll be a top tier QB in a year or two. We need to develop some weapons around him and have a sound running game. With the addition of Ivory at RB, we're moving in the right direction. Really good arm, great mobility, makes good reads, sometimes yes and sometimes no, and can throw on the move as well. Go Geno and Jets!!!!!

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I watched 2:30 of that and I don't know what you were watching to come to that conclusion.
    Another JI wannabe scout that doesn't even bother to watch the entire youtube clip.

  15. #35
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I watched 2:30 of that and I don't know what you were watching to come to that conclusion.
    Ummmmm this quite frankly that video made me think of him less not more!!!!!

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    I would have drafted Tyler Wilson. Geno doesn't beat top quality teams, only bad ones.

    I totally hope Geno develops though! I'm tired of this QB problem every year, every decade.
    Lets also remember his defense gave up 63, 45, 49, 55, 39, 55 and 50 last year.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Ummmmm this quite frankly that video made me think of him less not more!!!!!
    Same here ...
    1. He throws everything off his backfoot.
    2. He missed so many simple passes.
    3. Bad downfield touch.
    4. Moves his feet too much in the pocket.
    5. His speed is good, but he won't be able to run around those lineman in the pros - they are too fast.

  18. #38

  19. #39
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    W. Germany
    Posts
    1,176
    Quote Originally Posted by cjpeters9 View Post
    That clip just makes we wish we got Austin in the first
    My thought. Lots of not great throws, but great catches.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    LOL

    What the hell is it with you?

    One minute you're saying it's a terrible pick, then you're saying it's great.

    Then you say how much it sucks again, then you're back to saying how awesome he is.

    Make up your mind

    What happened to Chupa's loyalty to Sanchez?

    "If we are going to start the season with Sanchez, Garrard, mcilroy, tebow, then mark is going to easily win the job."
    Last edited by jxc; 04-27-2013 at 03:16 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us