Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Geno Smith is absurdly underrated

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green + White View Post
    My thought. Lots of not great throws, but great catches.
    *selfquote*

Still better than the TTM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB5OW9i7KHs

Please take some time and look at this video of Smith vs. Clemson in the orange bowl.

Those are elite nfl quarteback skills.

Staying in the pocket, going through progressions, throwing bullets all over the field, making incredibly accurate short, intermediate, and deep throws. Running at the right times. It's crazy impressive. I really have no idea why people are saying this kid isn't ready to start from day one. He's shown as any QB i've seen in recent memory.

I couldn't be more pumped about this pick. Honestly, he wasn't really in my radar cause I didn't see him as a possibility in the first round. After just a little bit of further inspection, I would have been ok with this guy at 9. He looks that good to me.
    I was going to make a snarky comment that there were a lot "blown coverages" that left wide receivers "wide open".

Then I remembered that Mark Sanchez couldn't even complete those throws last year.

So....... upgrade?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    http://youtu.be/DxHXC5AsiVg

Much better vid from his senior year
    He needs to be coached up from a mechanics stand point. But I see tons of potential..some throws he made in vid that where downright nice.. That Sanchez Could never make ..

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Big reach at 9 or 13 where many "experts" and media clowns were clamoring for the Jets to take him. Terrific steal at 39 where Idzik drafted him

So far our new GM is staying true to his opening press conference mission statement. ..sticking to his board and taking BPA.

Plus, hopefully the Smith pick allows the Jets to go with Garrard this season and start Smith in 14 and bring the TTM error to an end NOW

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Smith has a great resume. Completed 65% of his passes every year. Never more than 7 INTs in a season, increased TDs every year... threw 42 this year. Impressive.

He's struggled at times. The Syracuse game comes to mind.

But he also can get hot and play lights out like few others. The talent is clearly there. I think Mornhinwig might be able to help get some of the mechanical issues smoothed out and develop this kid into a stud, top 10 QB. Maybe.

It's certainly worth a shot with the 39th pick. The potential reward FAR outweighs any risks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    http://youtu.be/DxHXC5AsiVg

Much better vid from his senior year
    Thanks for posting.

anyone that watches the video above and doesn't think this kid can be AWESOME!!! or that this was a bad pick at 39 simply doesn't understand the NFL or Football for that matter.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    I was going to make a snarky comment that there were a lot "blown coverages" that left wide receivers "wide open".

Then I remembered that Mark Sanchez couldn't even complete those throws last year.

So....... upgrade?
    i remember watching Sanchez video's after they drafted him and these guys were downright blanketed compared to any completion Sanchez threw.

If seemed every completion he made was to a guy that was literally at least 5 yards open and could literally stop his pattern - catch the ball - then run 30 yards.

these were NFL throws with a nice deep and short touch.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    I'm not convinced. Now, if the video had Thunderstruck as the soundtrack, then I would be pumped in knowing we had our guy.
    LOL.

You have to admit, the kid's made a huge progression from his junior year. That tells me he's a very attentive, hardworking guy - an ideal pupil to learn Morny's WCO.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    Nassib is so good his own coach didn't want him.
    You realize Marrone is the coach not the GM right?

Not sure what you saw in that video that makes you think Geno has "pro skills" - he ran a spread offense out of the shotgun, where over 100 of his 500+ passes were at or behind the line.

He has 32 career fumbles - THIRTY TWO because he has small hands which hurt his grip in cold weather.

He does not change protections at the line and struggles feeling backside pressure. From Maycock

According to NFL Network’s Mike Mayock it really is the football side of things not questions about his work ethic, character or anything else off the field — that could make Smith slide deeper in the draft than most people think.

“It’s absolutely the football side,” Mayock said on Path to the Draft. “Talk about the football issues: First of all, ball security, ties into the pocket awareness. Whatever that number is, 30, 32 fumbles in his career, he has no awareness of the rush surrounding him. So his pocket awareness — five sacks in the first half against Texas, three of them he could have gotten rid of the football easily, and one of them he was stripped of the football in the end zone for a touchdown. There’s no internal clock, there’s no feel.”

The odds of taking an athlete with a strong arm (sanchez) and developing their mental part of the game as well as their feel to make them into an NFL QB are a lot lower then taking a smart QB, with a strong arm and feel for the position (see barkley and nassib).

We made a big error here.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB5OW9i7KHs

Please take some time and look at this video of Smith vs. Clemson in the orange bowl.

Those are elite nfl quarteback skills.

Staying in the pocket, going through progressions, throwing bullets all over the field, making incredibly accurate short, intermediate, and deep throws. Running at the right times. It's crazy impressive. I really have no idea why people are saying this kid isn't ready to start from day one. He's shown as any QB i've seen in recent memory.

I couldn't be more pumped about this pick. Honestly, he wasn't really in my radar cause I didn't see him as a possibility in the first round. After just a little bit of further inspection, I would have been ok with this guy at 9. He looks that good to me.
    Take some time viewing video highlights from college for Mark Sanchez, Browning Nagle and Dwayne Robertson and tell me that in college they looked like can't miss Hall of Fame Jets players. You need to stop looking at cherry picked college video highlights.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rajensen088 View Post
    Take some time viewing video highlights from college for Mark Sanchez, Browning Nagle and Dwayne Robertson and tell me that in college they looked like can't miss Hall of Fame Jets players. You need to stop looking at cherry picked college video highlights.
    To be fair, this is not a highlight reel. It's his entire game against Clemson. There are other videos out there that show every throw as well. It's not a best of video for sure.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of the knocks on Smith is that he had many plays where he could have run for easy 1st downs but stayed in the pocket.
    In college, QBs are open game compared to the NFL where the QB is more protected than the rare wildlife in Africa.
    Geno is a very good athlete, long strider, and much faster than he looks.
    Now that we have MM, a real OC, he has less of a project than other athletic QBs coming from college.
    Most want to pull the ball down & run all the time. Geno will have to learn to take advantage of his feet when the play breakdown calls for it.
    There is nothing more frustrating for a defense than a QB on 3rd down breaking from the pocket & sliding untouched for another 1st down.
    Now that he's paid for play, I see him using that athleticism a lot more in the Pros than he did in college.
    He fits the WCO, he can run if need be, we have the right OC to teach him, we have a nice group of RBs to help him out,& we will have a pretty good Oline in front of him.
    The media can EAD!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think this is a great write up with video examples of the "Pocket Awareness" problem he has

http://blogs.thescore.com/nfl/2013/0...and-instincts/

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nassib is not the answer either, his coach could tell you that.
    We could've done a lot better with our second round pick. Would've rather taken a project in the late rounds

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    This organization is a laughing stock.

6 QB's

2013 will be a train wreck and we'll be in a position for a franchise QB next year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    This organization is a laughing stock.

6 QB's

2013 will be a train wreck and we'll be in a position for a franchise QB next year.
    who cares..what's wrong with 6 QBs today and have them compete and the best 3 make the roster and we all know 1 QB will be off the roster within a week

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Another JI wannabe scout that doesn't even bother to watch the entire youtube clip.
    After i posted I watched the rest. Stand by my comments. Not impressed.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    who cares..what's wrong with 6 QBs today and have them compete and the best 3 make the roster and we all know 1 QB will be off the roster within a week
    When you burn a high draft pick on one and wait even longer to start picking oline which was a laughable unit last year?

Next year the real high-end college QB's will be breathing a sigh of relief that none of them will have to go to this team as we step to the podium for a top 5 pick.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Thanks for posting.

anyone that watches the video above and doesn't think this kid can be AWESOME!!! or that this was a bad pick at 39 simply doesn't understand the NFL or Football for that matter.
    LOL. Love the "if you don't agree with me, you know nothing" argument. Classic.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I can hear Francessa now: "If you have six quarterbacks, you don't have any."

Seriously, the Jets can't win for winning. A few weeks ago the SOJF's and media were condemning the Jets because they had a crap QB and you can't win in the NFL without a QB. We get the top rated QB in the draft for a bargain and the first thing people trot out is that we're a circus. Does Smith have more upside than Ponder, Glabbert, Manuel, Tannehill, Kolb, Foles, Flynn... I could keep going. Of course he does. Is he Tom Brady? No. Are the Jets a lot better situated at QB now than they were before. Absolutely. Sanchez needs to go. New page. New Jets.