Thread: Here's my problem with the Dee Milliner pick...

Here's my problem with the Dee Milliner pick...

So alot of people have been raving about Milliner and talking about how he will be a very good CB. Maybe even a shutdown corner. From fans to analyst.

That's all well and good, but here's something to take into consideration...

Let's just say Milliner does end up being a very good corner, or even becomes the next Revis like some people are hyping him up. When payday time comes, is this FO we going to pay the man? Can anyone answer this question?

Because we have all determined that we will not pay CBs top of the line money. So what's gonna happen this time around if he ends up being just as good? Revis, who is by far the best CB in the league, was waiting on a contract and we declined to pay him. So what we did by trading away that best player on our team was create another need. And then we used our top pick on that need.

Its idiotic and backwards logic. I for one do not believe that Milliner will not be better than Revis. To me, Revis is a player that rarely comes around. Yet we traded him away and used that draft pick on the exact same position. It's moronic and that's really the only way to say it. You might as well have just payed Revis the money because you know what you are getting.

For all we know, Milliner could be a bust. And even if he does end up being as good as advertised, then what? Are we going to trade him when payday time comes (because we can'y pay a CB this kind of money) and then have to draft a CB again, and have the cycle continue on and on and on?

That's the biggest problem. And really, it could come back to bite is in the butt.
    Last edited by King P; 04-27-2013 at 12:21 AM.

No offense..But OMFG. I'm going to start a thread about how I feel about the punter. Bunch o drama queens on this board tonight. I love what the Jets did and they are at least an 8-8 team as long as Butt Fumble doesn't start. Jets fans are Fans, NOT scouts, NOT GMS and NOT coaches. THEY KNOW MORE THAN EVERYONE HERE.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

No, the idiotic backwards logic is that he will become good and command a big contract.

Guess were should have drafted someone who will bust and never sees a 2nd contract.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    So alot of people have been raving about Milliner and talking about how he will be a very good CB. Maybe even a shutdown corner. From fans to analyst.

That's all well and good, but here's something to take into consideration...

Let's just say Milliner does end up being a very good corner, or even becomes the next Revis like some people are hyping him up. When payday time comes, is this FO we going to pay the man? Can anyone answer this question?
    As long as Milliner doesn't hold out twice through the course of his rookie deal, the Jets will pay him.

Revis, as good as he was, was a greedy pr_ck, ownership soured on him & his agents and personally, I don't blame them one bit. I am glad he's gone.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 04-27-2013 at 12:31 AM.

No. Just, no. Here's why. Revis is the only player who would ever be paid $16 M/year. The next closest was Nnamdi (who was the best CB at the time) and even Al friggin' Davis only gave him $15 M. That itself was considered too much. Look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salary_...cap_in_the_NFL

The cap has stagnated since 2009. It was $123M then and it's $123M now. Yet quarterback contracts are still going up. Where is there any room to pay CBs $16M? Why do you think the market for CBs has been so low lately? No one else is signing for more than $10M. So even if Dee Milliner is a perennial all pro (which we should all be hoping for as sane fans), he wouldn't come close to asking for $16 M. And if he has the balls to do that, either the cap better be way higher than it is now or we're kicking him to the curb.

If he turns into a stud and its time for a pay day Cro will be done by then so it will be easier investing the money

Actually he hits the nail on the head.

If Revis (the best CB / Defensive player in the NFL, etc.) is only worth pick # 13, how is an unproven CB prospect worth pick 9?

Unless the CS truly believed Millner was hands down easily better than Revis, this was a bad move and we should have just paid Revis. Yes we are up against the cap this year but tacking $16 mil per year at the end of the existing contract would have been possible without adding to this year's cap at all.

Quote Originally Posted by James Hasty View Post

If Revis (the best CB / Defensive player in the NFL, etc.) is only worth pick # 13, how is an unproven CB prospect worth pick 9?
    Well, I do wish we had gotten more for him but he's worth #13 because he's a FA next year. He's looking for his next big payday and he's coming off an injury. There's a reason only one team was looking to get him. A team that had a lot of cap space.

Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    No offense..But OMFG. I'm going to start a thread about how I feel about the punter. Bunch o drama queens on this board tonight. I love what the Jets did and they are at least an 8-8 team as long as Butt Fumble doesn't start. Jets fans are Fans, NOT scouts, NOT GMS and NOT coaches. THEY KNOW MORE THAN EVERYONE HERE.
    Here! Here!

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    I'm gonna go now; can you moderate for me?

Quote Originally Posted by James Hasty View Post
    Actually he hits the nail on the head.

Unless the CS truly believed Millner was hands down easily better than Revis, this was a bad move and we should have just paid Revis. Yes we are up against the cap this year but tacking $16 mil per year at the end of the existing contract would have been possible without adding to this year's cap at all.
    Revis is 27, injured, didnt play last year, and wants 16 mil. Milliner is 21, will get around 3 mil a year, has a shoulder injury that is less of a concern, and actually played last year. Also we get anther player next year in the 3rd and maybe 1 to 3 more with the extra cash we have now. This is a 3-5 starter swing if you look at it. We could easy end up with a FA like Nicks or Tate next year as a result of this trade.

Some of the dumbest threads tonight!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Life View Post
    If he turns into a stud and its time for a pay day Cro will be done by then so it will be easier investing the money
    We had the cap space to pay Revis big money. But we opted not to, because "CBs shouldnt get top of the line (QB) money"

All League
    Wow. Just wow. Lets not draft any good players, because then we will have to pay them one day. We can suck with scrubs and have tons of cap space though!

Jets Insider VIP
    Revis is seeking to be the highest paid CB; Milliner has a few years to get his pay day. The Cap will be under control and higher in future years. I don't see you logic/worry.

All Pro
    Your post is giving me cancer.

All League
    So are we supposed to never draft a cornerback again? Should we just run safties out there instead?

The Jets don't think that any cornerback is worth $16M, and honestly, I agree with them 100%. They think that a very good cornerback at say $5M and $11M worth of other players is better than the best cornerback at $16M.