Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I wouldn't say we can't compete this year.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Compete against who? Buffalo? Oakland?
    Yeah, we can compete against the uncompetitive.

Teams like San Fran, New England, Green Pay, Denver, they'll totally bury us.
    Good job we don't play San Fran, Green Bay or Denver this year (unless we make the playoffs / Superbowl ).

Last year we struggled against the like of Jax and Arizona, if we can at least be good enough to handle these sorts of teams we're moving in the right direction. Small steps.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    The Raiders have picked in the top 10 every single year, for how long now? Well, they pick in the top 10 when they don't make stupid trades and give away said top 10 picks.

A lot of teams are allowed to laugh at the Jets. The Raiders, Bills, Jaguars, Lions and Browns are not.
    Jets are going to suprise a lot of teams this year. Let 'em come. Last time Rex's wreckers were under the radar they went to the AFC Championship game twice. Let 'em mock us, the fools. It's good for gang green to play with a chip on it's proverbial shoulder. Hell even firmen ed will probably remerge from the rubble and rear his mug.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    I feel much better about this team today than I did a month ago.
    me too.

Running Game:

While the Jets lost Shonn Greene, he was replaced by two much faster backs. Greene had just over 1,000 yards last season, but he had the lowest yards per carry of any 1,000 yard back. His longest run of the season 36 yards, was lower than any of the other 1,000 yards backs.

Both Ivory and Goodson, averaged over 5 yards per carry, albeit with a much smaller sample size. Regardless, both players are much more explosive than Shonn Greene. Its certainly possible that the running game is better this year with these two players instead of Shonn Greene.
    I wouldn't consider Greene's departure a "loss" he is well below average for an NFL RB. He would not be starting for any team in the league. Ivory and Goodson are way more talented.

Receiving Game:

The receiving game should be better as Santonio Holmes should be back. In addition, Stephen Hill gets to go through a full off season program. He should be much better than last year, which isn't saying much. I'd like it if the Jets brought back Braylon Edwards for one more year. He played well in the three games he was with the team last year.
    This is what I don't get. TE is a big hole and I hope they do something to address that soon, but the WRs IMO are fine, good enough for now anyway. If Hill takes the next step, it was going to be tough for a rookie to crack the starting lineup. Depth is a concern because after Kerley, there's nobody.

Passing Game:

Only Matt Cassel prevented Sanchez from being ranked dead last in 2012. Hopefully we'll get Garrard or Geno Smith starting this year. Garrard will almost certainly put up better numbers than Sanchez did last year, as long as he can stay healthy.

Geno Smith is a wild card, but is known for being accurate and not turning the ball over. Two things that Mark Sanchez does not do well. It wouldn't be a stretch to say that Geno Smith would put up better numbers than Mark Sanchez.
    Geno, at the very least, is going to push Sanchez like never before. The QB competition should bring out the best in everybody, even Tebow if he's still here. It's not an ideal situation, obviously, but you have to start somewhere.

Defensive Line:

The dline last year was not very good against the run, finishing 26th in the league. Mike Devito and Po'uha are no longer with the team. Devito is replaced by Couples, who will now be the starter. His game started improving the second half of last season. Po'uha is replaced by Ellis and Sheldon Richardson.

Kendrick Ellis should get better now that he is entering his 3rd year. A four man line of Couples, Wilkerson, Ellis and Richard should be much more difficult to run on.
    Coples and Wilk, I think, will be certified studs this year and they will ensure Richardson isn't getting double teamed every down. This group could be special.

Secondary:

The Jets didn't have Revis last year, so its basically the same group plus Dee Milliner. The passing defense finished 2nd in the league and only alllowed one 100 yard receiver.
    You didn't mention the loss of Landry, which is HUGE. He did so many things well and they have nobody to replace him. I have no idea how good the secondary will be this year. Can Wilson step up? Will they move him to FS? Will Cro be as good as he was last year? Who's the 4th CB? Lots of questions there.

Overall:

Despite a horrible offense last year, the Jets still won six games. Holmes is back, two explosive running backs have been added and its almost a certainty there is a better starting QB than last year. I don't think its a stretch for the Jets to win 8-9 games this season.
    I think 9 wins is a little too much to ask for right now. I see a 7 win team who has a tough schedule. Most importantly, though, this team can make a big leap next year if these picks work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    Exactly. And no offensive line, at all.
    How do we not have an offensive line? we added 2 yesterday?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman67 View Post
    We have NO TALENT at the skill positions!!! 3-13 is the best the Jets will do this year.
    We had no talent last year and won 6 games, and we upgraded the most important position on the field (regadrless if either Geno or Garrard starts). Many additions by subtraction on both sides of the ball plus some upgrades via free agency, trades, and yes, the draft too. This team has at least 6 wins in it.

I don't think the Jets will be good at all. I really am expecting the worse, regardless of the outcome of the draft.

It's not about the players for me, but rather the schedule. If we had last year's schedule, I think we would have a better record. But this year's schedule is alot harder.

I mean look who we are playing in in September through November....

Tampa Bay
    New England (2X)
    Bills (2X)
    Tennessee
    Atlanta
    Pittsburgh
    Cincinnati
    New Orleans
    Baltimore

Jets will easily be 3-9 or 2-10 if the offense doesn't start scoring points, because those other teams will. This year there is no stretch of Arizona, Jacksonville, Tennessee, San Diego, and Buffalo where we could be 5-0 if we're playing well.

Heck, I don't even think the end of the year with Miami (2X), Cleveland, Carolina, and Oakland is as easy as some predict.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    No the team that has six Qb's on their roster is the mess. Thank God for the Jets because now they are the BUTT of all jokes(see what I did there) Hey IDzik hows that trade market for T Tebow going.
    The Raiders had a QB who threw for over 4000 yds, 22 TD's and only 14 INT's, and they still only won 4 games. If the Jets had that same production from the QB position last year, they win 10 games easily.

Case closed.

Maybe we can grab 1 more starter, but can fill rest of our holes very nicely with 4 picks in 1st 3 rds. We don't need DL, rbs that's for sure. Get a TE, WR, S, OlB.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckkieB View Post
    We had no talent last year and won 6 games, and we upgraded the most important position on the field (regadrless if either Geno or Garrard starts). Many additions by subtraction on both sides of the ball plus some upgrades via free agency, trades, and yes, the draft too. This team has at least 6 wins in it.
    With our receivers and line? Plus losses on the defensive side. 3-13 at Best.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Maybe we can grab 1 more starter, but can fill rest of our holes very nicely with 4 picks in 1st 3 rds. We don't need DL, rbs that's for sure. Get a TE, WR, S, OlB.
    Remember. ... Chrebet was a walk on.

Practice Squad
    Been a Jets fan for 45 years, experience tells me 3-13. Funny how this time of year you always post about how good they are, but you disappear once the sucking begins.
    Just admit it you're nothing but a troll...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    No the team that has six Qb's on their roster is the mess. Thank God for the Jets because now they are the BUTT of all jokes(see what I did there) Hey IDzik hows that trade market for T Tebow going.
    No, only the brain dead press, who count a Simms and those who are going to be cut or traded as a problem. Do YOU think the Jets will carry 6, do you think that means they're a mess? Does anyone not see that they are going in a different direction with Geno and need to be told?

Apparently

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The line may look better on paper, but thats all it is until they prove that they are worthy of being optimistic.
    Funny the sky is falling contingent can look at that same piece of paper and tell us the team will suck, won't win more than 3.

But when those of us who see more wins, see improvement, the answer is that its only on paper.

Funny how opinions and speculation work.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Funny the sky is falling contingent can look at that same piece of paper and tell us the team will suck, won't win more than 3.

But when those of us who see more wins, see improvement, the answer is that its only on paper.

Funny how opinions and speculation work.
    I only base speculation on recent history. Recent history is not very good

Veteran
    I only base speculation on recent history. Recent history is not very good
    That is what you are missing. THERE IS NO RECENT HISTORY HAS THIS IS A NEW TEAM WITH A REVAMPED ROSTER WITH MANY PLAYERS WHO WEREN'T ON THE TEAM LAST YEAR.

Plus you must consider the experience factor as last years wide eyed rooks are second year players should continue to develop, not to mention our third and fourth year players. Lastly if you have been paying attention, Idzik has gone on record that he expects EVERYONE to COMPETE; no more "gimmees".

I can understand you perhaps being a little pessimistic about the teams chances but to say 3 - 13 when the team went 6-10 with some of the worst QB play in NFL history tells me you are too focused on the past and not what is being built right before your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckkieB View Post
    I think we'll be better than most people think also. However, we'll be depending on a lot of new players, including many rookies, to take on prominent roles. It takes time to integrate new players into a system, and time for rookies to adjust to the pro game and contribute -- and they'll all be trying to do that during the toughest part of our schedule (early in the year). I expect a shaky start to the season with a stronger 2nd half as the team comes together, the rookies get experience, and the schedule gets easier.

Even though the talent may be better and younger than last year, I'm not sure our record will improve much, if at all. If we even get to .500, Rex will likely be up for Coach of the Year.

Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    I don't think the Jets will be good at all. I really am expecting the worse, regardless of the outcome of the draft.

It's not about the players for me, but rather the schedule. If we had last year's schedule, I think we would have a better record. But this year's schedule is alot harder.

I mean look who we are playing in in September through November....

Tampa Bay
    New England (2X)
    Bills (2X)
    Tennessee
    Atlanta
    Pittsburgh
    Cincinnati
    New Orleans
    Baltimore

Jets will easily be 3-9 or 2-10 if the offense doesn't start scoring points, because those other teams will. This year there is no stretch of Arizona, Jacksonville, Tennessee, San Diego, and Buffalo where we could be 5-0 if we're playing well.

Heck, I don't even think the end of the year with Miami (2X), Cleveland, Carolina, and Oakland is as easy as some predict.
    Using the schedule proves nothing IMO. The NFC South looks the weakest NFC this year and I am not scared of Cinci, Tenn, or Pitts to be honest. The LAST 5 all seem very winnable to me. Carolina, Cleveland, Miamix2, and Oakland are 5 of our 7 easier game IMO. We get Balt just before they play Pitts 4 days later. Who do you really think they will be planning for? NE on 4 days rest after they play the Bills. If anything the schedule favors us because we are a younger team. If we stay healthy and play average ball on O 10-11 wins is viable.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Jets are going to suprise a lot of teams this year. Let 'em come. Last time Rex's wreckers were under the radar they went to the AFC Championship game twice. Let 'em mock us, the fools. It's good for gang green to play with a chip on it's proverbial shoulder. Hell even firmen ed will probably remerge from the rubble and rear his mug.
    I agree they will know that they were in a football game! Idzik has this team on its way. Go Jets!

The afc east got ALOT more interesting after today. The Dolphins owned free agency Jets owned the draft IMO. I can't wait to see how it pans out during OTA's and training camp but I am giddy now. LET'S GET IT.