Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Jets completely blew this draft.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

The Jets completely blew this draft.

I don't understand all the sudden euphoria?
    Two days ago we were a 4-12 team.

Now we're a 4-12 team with another media circus.

We had two first round picks.
    The Patriots had zero first round picks.

Yet the Patriots improved more than we have and they were already good.

The Dolphins drafted better than us. The Billsdrafted better than us. We improved the least of everyone in the AFC East so far, yet we had two 1st round pics.

We used our first round draft picks (two of them) to draft at positions we weren't desperate for, then we draft Geno Smith, a quarterback who is not ready to start in the NFL, and we bring him into our Sanchez/Tebow stupidity and he's going to learn and develop under that this season? lol
    (Yes, Tebow will be gone, but he's not yet).

Am I the only one that thinks this draft was a complete bust? A complete revisiting of how stupid this entire regime is? Two first round picks and an early second and we're the same that we were a few days ago with a little more depth. Nothing addressed.

Why didn't we wait until next year to draft a quarterback?

We're going to have a top five pick next season and the consensus is Geno isn't ready to start anyway, so... WTF?

The master plan is to add Geno now, with no offensive line, and no weapons besides Holmes, to watch him get destroyed by opposing defenses and then the NY media?

Or is it to pass on things like offensive lineman and such this year, get a not-so-great quarterback now, then get offensive tools for him NEXT year when better quarterbacks are available?

What am I missing?

Bad choices are bad.

This is why people wanted this whole idiotic regime gone after last season.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe we're unleashing our new offense next season where Geno takes 1st downs, Sanchez takes second and longs, and Tebow takes 3rd and shorts. It can be the next great offensive evolution in football.

I get it now
    Last edited by Zarathustra; 04-27-2013 at 04:39 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's wrong with the Oline last I checked we signed 2 Guards (1 being Colon who when healthy is pretty damn good ) and Drafted one.?

Brick and Mangold are elite players at there positions. And Austin Howard got better every game at RT..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by Scoop24; 04-27-2013 at 04:46 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only circus in NY is the media and the stupid fans they ensnare with their daily rants.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thread starters like this OP are beyond nauseating

Idzik added a top three pick at 9, a monster defensive lineman at 13 and the top QB that many were clamoring for at 9 (some calling for a trade up to get him) at 39 and a guard many draft reports had ranked just below Warmack and Cousins in the third round...

Reaction from our knee-jerkers??,

Bad bad bad because Rich Eisen and his three stooges at NFLN made jokes

Great draft so far by our new GM...

And starting round four with Chris Ivory makes it even better

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You have NO IDEA if the picks will work out or not right now.

All of the first 3 players picked were highly rated by just about every draft "expert" and all have Pro Bowl potential. What more can you ask for?

I would have liked to get a pass rusher or offensive weapon. But there are a lot of holes on this team... and CB was certainly one of them after the trade... so they filled what they could with players they believe in.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post

The Dolphins drafted better than us. The Billsdrafted better than us. We improved the least of everyone in the AFC East so far, yet we had two 1st round pics.

We used our first round draft picks (two of them) to draft at positions we weren't desperate for, then we draft Geno Smith, a quarterback who is not ready to start in the NFL, and we bring him into our Sanchez/Tebow stupidity and he's going to learn and develop under that this season? lol

Am I the only one that thinks this draft was a complete bust? A complete revisiting of how stupid this entire regime is? Two first round picks and an early second and we're the same that we were a few days ago with a little more depth. Nothing addressed.

We're going to have a top five pick next season and the consensus is Geno isn't ready to start anyway, so... WTF?

The master plan is to add Geno now, with no offensive line, and no weapons besides Holmes, to watch him get destroyed by opposing defenses and then the NY media?

Or is it to pass on things like offensive lineman and such this year, get a not-so-great quarterback now, then get offensive tools for him NEXT year when better quarterbacks are available?

What am I missing?

Bad choices are bad.

WHINE WHINE WHINE!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We dont know how these players will produce, but that isnt the point, we did not do well in this draft as it shows as far as who is still on the board compared to who we brought in.

We just took a spread/read option QB, yet traded our 4th round pick for a RB that doesnt catch the ball? (Ivory has a TOTAL of THREE career catches). Jonathon Franklin, Gillislee, Barner - all still on the board who can play in space and catch the ball out of the backfield.

We took an interior defensive lineman at 13, a position we took in the first round 3 consecutive years - while OLB/DE Damontre Moore went 81. Is that the best value for a team rebuilding?

We now miss the entire 4th round, yet havent filled TE or Safety or addressed OLB. Players like barret jones OG/C, Phillip Thomas S, Dion Sims TE, Alex Okafor DE, Cornelius Washington OLB - these guys are all still here.

Lastly, we now have Geno Smith, someone who has 32 career fumbles and ran a spread offense who we took at pick 39. Now, we start the 4th round with Nassib and Barkley still available (both of whom BTW have never had fumbling issues). Is Geno really a great value now?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe we're unleashing our new offense next season where Geno takes 1st downs, Sanchez takes second and longs, and Tebow takes 3rd and shorts. It can be the next great offensive evolution in football.

I get it now
    Teams will be copying the Jets new dynamic offense. Small ball, win games with defense and and baseball scores... 7-0, 3-0. 6-3. Genius!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

What am I missing?

Bad choices are bad.

I was upset after Friday night, but after last night I am the exact opposite.

The way I see this, Yes next year we're not a whole lot better (but very few rookies are expected to contribute heavily) but...

1) Our defense is set and solid for years to come.
    2) We're going to have $50mm in cap space next year to bring in veteran offensive support for our second year QB

This draft is being run exquisitely.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    You have NO IDEA if the picks will work out or not right now.

All of the first 3 players picked were highly rated by just about every draft "expert" and all have Pro Bowl potential. What more can you ask for?

I would have liked to get a pass rusher or offensive weapon. But there are a lot of holes on this team... and CB was certainly one of them after the trade... so they filled what they could with players they believe in.
    Exactly. It takes a lot longer than 3 minutes to evaluate a draft, more like 3 years.
    I thought the Jets did well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I was upset after Friday night, but after last night I am the exact opposite.

The way I see this, Yes next year we're not a whole lot better (but very few rookies are expected to contribute heavily) but...

1) Our defense is set and solid for years to come.
    2) We're going to have $50mm in cap space next year to bring in veteran offensive support for our second year QB

This draft is being run exquisitely.
    Who exactly can we bring in via Free Agency who can teach our QB pocket awareness?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    People are making a mistake of allowing the awful decision making of the Tannenbaum era to cloud their judgement on the job Idzik has done so far.

This is a rebuild, people - and its going to painful in the short term.

Ivory/Goodson figure to be approximately 1000 times more effective than the plodding Shonn Greene.

The WR corps still has a long way to go - Santurdio is not the answer (even if he may the most talented of a talent devoid group) - Kerley is a keeper, but I don't hold out any great hope for Stephen Hill - he is raw in the extreme.

A pass catching TE is a must have as an outlet for a rookie QB who will start week 1 - no question in my mind - Goodson will also help on this regard.

Now, I believe the Jets are going to going to commit to a physical, ball-control offense this year - it won't be pretty and it liely won't figure in the top 20 offenses - but its the only real option given the lack of talent on that side of the roster.

The D is going to see alot of snaps again, but thats why we are building quality depth across the D-line - so that we can rotate them in and out and stop getting gassed half way through the 4th Q.

8-8 is a long shot, and thats fine - 2014 Sanchez is off the books and we know what we have with Geno - if he is relative success then we can spend picks/cap space on getting him some weaponry.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

What am I missing?

Bad choices are bad.

The Jets weren't going anywhere with there current crop of Qb's( were worse in the league) IS Geno Smith going to be great in year one. Probably not but he definitely has the tools in time to be the Jets Qb of the future. (he just needs time and has good OC that can help him develop)
    Right there you should be happy because without that Qb than your probably not winning much in the nFl.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Who exactly can we bring in via Free Agency who can teach our QB pocket awareness?
    You do know they have a thing called "Coaches" for that....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the Milliner pick, didn't understand taking Richardson but am okay with it, not feeling Geno-mania, and am fine with OL depth (hopefully Ducasse can be cut finally). I just don't know if Geno was the right QB to take and I'm not too happy we didn't take a WR or TE. I'm in the minority now in that I would have been content if we had taken an RB and not sent away a 4th rounder two years in a row.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

What am I missing?

Bad choices are bad.

Jaguars I here are looking for a great football mind. Perhaps you should call them.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    OP is a tebow-cultist. As soon as we cut the virginal halfback, this kind of nonsense will go away.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is no way you could possibly know if the draft was blown. For all you know, Richardson will be a hall of famer.

Cant judge a draft for at least 2-3 years

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    OP is a tebow-cultist. As soon as we cut the virginal halfback, this kind of nonsense will go away.
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...ording-sources

Sorry, he may not be going away.