Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Jets completely blew this draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I don't understand all the sudden euphoria?

We used our first round draft picks (two of them) to draft at positions we weren't desperate for, then we draft Geno Smith, a quarterback who is not ready to start in the NFL, and we bring him into our Sanchez/Tebow stupidity and he's going to learn and develop under that this season? lol
    (Yes, Tebow will be gone, but he's not

Why didn't we wait until next year to draft a quarterback?

Or is it to pass on things like offensive lineman and such this year, get a not-so-g?

This is why people wanted this whole idiotic regime gone after last season.
    I highlighted the areas that make your point foolish. Why would we draft at positions we are desperate for? That is a formula for failure. You draft BPA. Lets see how these players pan out before we crucify the front office.

And you can't predict the future. Who knows where we will be in draft position next year?! And who says we can't draft a QB next year?!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    You do know they have a thing called "Coaches" for that....
    You do know that our QB coach's last assignment was to 'develop' Ryan Fitzpatrick in Buffalo, right?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    OP is a tebow-cultist. As soon as we cut the virginal halfback, this kind of nonsense will go away.
    which is exactly the reason for his rant - any new QB diminishes Tebow's possibility of having a role here that much more. Everyone else but the cultists know his time here is done - bringing in BGeno is starting to force them out of their stupor of denial

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    I like the Milliner pick, didn't understand taking Richardson but am okay with it, not feeling Geno-mania, and am fine with OL depth (hopefully Ducasse can be cut finally). I just don't know if Geno was the right QB to take and I'm not too happy we didn't take a WR or TE. I'm in the minority now in that I would have been content if we had taken an RB and not sent away a 4th rounder two years in a row.
    What is the obsession with the 4th round, like that is some secret goldmine of fantastic picks? And they didn't 'send it away' they exchanged it for a player. They got something in return, a known quantity with value (unlike two picks for Tebow)

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    You do know they have a thing called "Coaches" for that....
    Actually coaches can teach footwork, mechanics, and schemes.

They cant fix a player who doesnt feel backside (or in genos case ball side) pressure.

He is excellent when the rush comes up the middle and he can move laterally using his speed to be elusive and has the arm to throw on the run.

The problem he has, which is mind boggling, is throwing from what appears to be a "clean pocket". When he has time to throw he sometimes misses wide open guys, and while that can be fixed with mechanics, the problem in the NFL will be that clean pockets disappear VERY fast.

We have all seen this first hand with how crushing QB fumbles can be and Geno struggles to feel the rush closing behind him - that isnt something that can be taught. Hopefully we have the staff to minimize that from happening ie russel wilson - who also shouldnt be dropping straight back, albeit for different reasons.

The only bright spot here is that Kaepernick had very similar problems and also smaller hands (both him and geno are at 9 1/8th) so he presents a solid example of how to use geno

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    which is exactly the reason for his rant - any new QB diminishes Tebow's possibility of having a role here that much more. Everyone else but the cultists know his time here is done - bringing in BGeno is starting to force them out of their stupor of denial
    Everyone else but you, below is from ESPN Adam Schefter and it was after the Geno Smith pick;

There also has been a slight change in the thought process surrounding Tim Tebow, who showed up to his team's training facility 15 pounds lighter. Tebow has won some support within the organization, sources familiar with the situation said.

Tebow appears lighter, faster and has worked to improve his throwing motion, which the Jets have noticed. The longer he is in the building, the more he wins support, one source said.

This could leave Sanchez as the odd man out. It's not the first time the Jets have considered this move, sources said.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by vinniekt View Post
    Everyone else but you, below is from ESPN Adam Schefter and it was after the Geno Smith pick;

There also has been a slight change in the thought process surrounding Tim Tebow, who showed up to his team's training facility 15 pounds lighter. Tebow has won some support within the organization, sources familiar with the situation said.

Tebow appears lighter, faster and has worked to improve his throwing motion, which the Jets have noticed. The longer he is in the building, the more he wins support, one source said.

This could leave Sanchez as the odd man out. It's not the first time the Jets have considered this move, sources said.
    yeah ok sure he has 'worked to improve his throwing motion', he does that every year, has he actually improved it? i'll believe it when I see it

Jets Insider VIP
    We have a lot of holes to fill and they were only partially addressed so far in the draft. We got a potential replacement for Revis with a freakishly talented CB that can cover and was rated #4 ranking; we got Richardson who is a beast and considered the best DT in the draft. So on D we lost a few players and got a few. We still need a safety and ILB which can still be addressed with FA and remaining draft.

On offense the biggest problem the Jets have is QB with a low completion rating and a clutz in the pocket. We got the highest rated QB in the draft in round 2 pick 39 which means he won't break the bank. His completion rated was in the 70s and his resume shows nothing but broken records in college. He is quick, accurate and above average arm strength

At running back we got Ivory for a 4th round pick. He will replace Green and improve the running game because this guy can take it to the house at any time.

On the OL we got Winters who is considered a road grader and 4th overall guard in the draft.

And the draft aint over. I give the Jets an A+ for their innovative draft and getting us a lot closer to the playoffs than before the draft.