Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Jets have improved, despite "experts" opinions

The Jets have improved, despite "experts" opinions

I wasn't happy about the draft, but have warmed up to it. I'll do my best to give opinions on what/why things played out the way they did, and my opinion on each pick.

9 - Dee Milliner - CB/Alabama

I wanted Cooper here. He was gone, and then Austin was gone. That left Warmack, Eifert, Jones, Floyd, Lotuleili, and a few others that could have gone at 9. So, Milliner. If Idzik wanted to make people forget about Revis, this is not the way to go about it, unless Milliner is a stud from day 1 (or Revis ****s the bed in Tampa). Milliner will be known as Revis-lite until proven otherwise.

He will make the defense better, and it allows the Jets to let Cro walk if/when he begins to decline, but Milliner has the cover skills/instincts to flourish in Rex's defense. He will be a future pro bowler.

13 - Sheldon Richardson - DT/Missouri

Unexpected. Idzik wanted to trade out, but we're the Jets. I'm more excited about this kid than I am Milliner. He's Warren Sapp+. Look for him to line up anywhere on the line and create matchup nightmares on the line with Wilk and Coples. The D-line will be fun to watch. Having said that, Eifert would have helped at this spot. Did the Jets really need Richardson? No, but BPA struck again. Had they taken Warmack at 9, I would have been okay with Richardson, shoring up the lines for years. Winters at 3 helped make this pick better, as there really wasn't any offensive player worth 13 besides Eifert. Another immediate impact player in an area of the team that's already strong. Probably my favorite pick in terms of being an ass kicker. He's got the ability to play outside or inside, like Coples.

39 - Geno Smith - QB/West Virginia

Where to begin. One positive is that they got him without the Tanny-use-all-the-picks-and-trade-up manoeuvre. Having said that, it's a misleading pick. Smith has a high completion percentage in collage, but for about 3 yards less per attempt than RG3, Luck and Wilson did, meaning he did not hit the passes down the field like those 3. He had MORE fumbles than games started, and missed a lot of open receivers in stride. He did have a few games that he was unbelievable. How the Jets are going to manage the media circus is going to dictate what goes on in Smith's head. He was pouting that he wasn't picked in the first round, and looked miserable sitting there waiting on day 2. So far, I'm not impressed, and I'm a Jets homer. The good thing is that the Jets did not invest anything but a 2 for him. They can draft another QB next year if Geno shows signs of failure. Sanchez is as good as gone,and hopefully this year. Look for Tebow to slip into the forefront until Smith is ready (my opinion). Jets could have had Carradine or Minter, although that would have been more defense. For where they picked, Smith is steal. I would rather have drafted someone else. Escobar even, but a little early for him. Jets seemed to be a pick or three behind the guys everyone wanted.

72 - Brian Winters - OG/Kent St

Best overall pick for the spot they were picking in. Physical, strong, smart player who lacks only athleticism of Cooper or Warmack. May be an immediate starter. Kid would have been a late 1st rounder/early 2nd if he was at a big school. Good job on this one. We plugged a big hole here.

106 - TRADE - Chris Ivory - RB

Ivory is better than any RB in this draft. Lacy is fat, Ball is good but not explosive, and the Jets can't draft anyone in Ivory's league from round 2 on. The backfield is strong with Ivory, Goodson and Powell in reserve. McKnight needs to get his head out of his ass or he's gone. Ivory, Goodson, Powell, McKnight. One of the weakest units has become one of the strongest. With the addition of Colon and Winters, the Jets may actually be able to run the ball next year.

So we have 3 picks left. I'm not worried about those, they're going to be BPA, and they'll help. I'd say the order of value of these picks is great. The needs of the team with the BPA leaves a lot to be desired. Did the Jets need a CB? No. A DL? No. A QB? Yes. Problem is there's a lot of baggage that's been created with the Geno pick. Even if Sanchez is released.

Overall, the Jets are going to be a better team next year. Experts who predicted Geno Smith and Nassib in the top 10 clearly know nothing about the draft. 20% of what they predict comes true. We were all wrong as well.

Because they didn't invest in a first round pick in a QB means they can draft another one later if Geno doesn't work out. Long term plans. Hated the Geno pick, but I have to be patient. Richardson, Milliner, Winters, Ivory. All starter material.

Draft is better than I originally thought, mainly because none of the players I wanted we're picked, but getting the #1 CB, #1 DT, #1 QB isn't a bad start. Idzik is creating competition at every position. The team is going to play hard. How good they are is to be determined. Patience.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Nice work John...

re: Geno, I think Glennon was probably my favorite QB in the draft, being an old school guy, however you have to think Geno's entire career will be played with a chip on his shoulder from perceived slights from the rest of the league. IMHO there is nothing better than an athlete with a chip on his shoulder.

The Ivory trade is terrific, he is still young with low miles, if he can get over the injury bug, paired with Goodson, the Jets backfield immediately becomes a strength.

I didn't like day one of the draft until day two, and on day three I'm smiling.

All Pro
    It's hard to say they improved because we don't really know anything about the players drafted at the moment. And they replaced a Hall of Fame CB with a talented rookie who has injury concerns.

That said, all of these guys have ridiciously high ceilings and COULD develop into stars. This group COULD become the foundation of the franchise. Time will tell. I'm pretty optimistic and keeping an open mind until I see reason not to.

Personally, I think they picked players at premium positions who can make a huge impact on games. I'd prefer this approach rather than "playing it safe". Safe is for losers.

Ivory is the only player added who we really know anything about. He's a skilled yet injury prone player. A 4th for him is a little expensive for me, but what difference does it really make if he's as good as most people think he is.

Hall Of Fame
    I too am warming up to the draft.

Milliner will be a solid CB for us. I will refuse to compare him to Revis b.c that isn't fair. Although we know those comparison will be made in the media.

As for Richardson I think it all depends on how we plan to use him. The major knock on him is that he is not a two-gap player and he struggles with double-teams. His major strength is that he is a one-gap penetrator with insane athleticism for a man of his size and that he can rush the passer from inside and outside. As long as we put him in a position to succeed we will be fine. I think as he matures and gets stronger he will be able to take on double-teams and larger assignments.

LOVE the Winters pick. He will be a starter from day one. Can play both guard positions and RT.

LOVE the Ivory trade. I think once Christine Michael was drafted they Jets pulled the trigger on this. I wanted Michael but Ivory is already a proven commodity. He understand pass protection which will be huge for us.

Smith is the wildcard. We all know the pros and cons so I am not going to get into that. One thing I will say is that it does looks like Rex did get to hit the reset button. It is Year 1 for him. I think he survives no matter what now and I think that is a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    Nice work John...

re: Geno, I think Glennon was probably my favorite QB in the draft, being an old school guy, however you have to think Geno's entire career will be played with a chip on his shoulder from perceived slights from the rest of the league. IMHO there is nothing better than an athlete with a chip on his shoulder.

The Ivory trade is terrific, he is still young with low miles, if he can get over the injury bug, paired with Goodson, the Jets backfield immediately becomes a strength.

I didn't like day one of the draft until day two, and on day three I'm smiling.
    Thank, JW.

I like Glennon as well. Best pure passer in this draft. Very immobile, however. Reminds me of Drew Bledsoe-lite.

Ivory is better than any RB in this draft.

#1 CB
    #1 DL
    #1 QB
    #1 RB

Pretty much says it all. Are they all needs? No, and I'm still not on the GS bandwagon, but we'll see.

Practice Squad
    People have complained we didn't address offense enough. We have overhauled the offense! New QB (not to mention new style of QB), two new RB, 3 new OL. WR are the same but are our WR that bad? With a good QB Holmes, Hill, and Kerley should be more than fine. We will draft a TE sometime today I would guess to continue the process. I don't know if it will or won't work, but we are trying and I think we have done well.

Agree with you on analysis, especially the Geno pick. At the slotting and salary, nothing is guaranteed. Ask Jimmy Clausen or even Brady Quinn. If the Jets **** the bed this year, the Geno pick will not prevent them from taking a franchise qb high. At Geno's salary, he can be th,e number 2 for many years. If he hits it though then we can go in other directions next year.

My biggest problem is the lack of weapons on offense. Sure we upgraded the rb position in the offseason, but these qb's are set up for failure. I have no problems with the picks in round 1 per we, but how do you not trade down with one of those?

What to do with Sanchez? I have no problem letting him start this year with Geno coming on later in year. Or, if he is a huge distraction, I guess you let him go and start Garrard. Either way it will be a long year with hopefully signs of improvement going in to a big 2014 offseason.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

as far as adding more offensive talent to the team, there is still today and there is still round two of vet cuts which will begin shortly

Quote Originally Posted by phillyjet View Post
    Agree with you on analysis, especially the Geno pick. At the slotting and salary, nothing is guaranteed. Ask Jimmy Clausen or even Brady Quinn. If the Jets **** the bed this year, the Geno pick will not prevent them from taking a franchise qb high. At Geno's salary, he can be th,e number 2 for many years. If he hits it though then we can go in other directions next year.

My biggest problem is the lack of weapons on offense. Sure we upgraded the rb position in the offseason, but these qb's are set up for failure. I have no problems with the picks in round 1 per we, but how do you not trade down with one of those?

What to do with Sanchez? I have no problem letting him start this year with Geno coming on later in year. Or, if he is a huge distraction, I guess you let him go and start Garrard. Either way it will be a long year with hopefully signs of improvement going in to a big 2014 offseason.
    Yeah, the lack of weapons bothers me. I wanted Markus Wheaton in the 3rd when Austin was gone.

Can't address everything at once. We'll see.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

btw I'd be very happy to see the Jets take a flyer on Ryan Swope today

I'm lukewarm to the Millner pick. Nice player, fills a need... Just will always be compared to Revis.

I love the Richardson pick. Just look at his neck/head... The dude is thick and the Sapp comparison doesn't seem so crazy, great first step. A 300 lb man running a 4.71 '40 at his pro day and speed on film to match + a motor... Just a freak. Looks like a lber with his athleticism.

Geno pick is a great value pick. I like it a lot. I wanted Glennon, but Geno is more inline with the new generation of successful NFL QB's. I think he'll be a solid starter down the line, maybe more... You can't ask much more with a 2nd round QB pick.

Winter is an old school throwback player who will bring some nastiness. Reminds me of the typical tough nosed Rookie FA pickup who signs with a team and ends up starting in year one... Only this guy is more athletic. very good pick.

Ivory - wanted him for a 5th due to injury history... But like the player.

Overall, I'm happy so far.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    I'm lukewarm to the Millner pick. Nice player, fills a need... Just will always be compared to Revis.

I love the Richardson pick. Just look at his neck/head... The dude is thick and the Sapp comparison doesn't seem so crazy, great first step. A 300 lb man running a 4.71 '40 at his pro day and speed on film to match + a motor... Just a freak. Looks like a lber with his athleticism.

Geno pick is a great value pick. I like it a lot. I wanted Glennon, but Geno is more inline with the new generation of successful NFL QB's. I think he'll be a solid starter down the line, maybe more... You can't ask much more with a 2nd round QB pick.

Winter is an old school throwback player who will bring some nastiness. Reminds me of the typical tough nosed Rookie FA pickup who signs with a team and ends up starting in year one... Only this guy is more athletic. very good pick.

Ivory - wanted him for a 5th due to injury history... But like the player.

Overall, I'm happy so far.
    Think there's any chance they envision Richardson playing LDE in a 4man front? He has the athleticism and long arms to beat RTs.

Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    btw I'd be very happy to see the Jets take a flyer on Ryan Swope today
    Same here. That dude is solid and can flat out fly, he's an unassuming, sneaky type player that'll catch defenders off guard

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    This is a great start.

I'm so sick of hearing how Milner will forever be compared to Revis -- that's the definition of brainless conclusions.

Revis isn't here because he wanted $16M (or more) for the rest of his career. NO OTHER REASON. He isn't on this team long term under ANY circumstances. Just because we tried to make up for his loss doesn't mean we made a bad move if we don't get equal value (which we likely won't).

If we didn't get Millner, Wilson would have been compared to Revis ("this guy stinks! We should've kept Revis!"). No matter who we put out there, SOJF would complain "it should be Revis", completely disregarding the facts of the situation . . .

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    I'm so sick of hearing how Milner will forever be compared to Revis -- that's the definition of brainless conclusions.

Revis isn't here because he wanted $16M (or more) for the rest of his career. NO OTHER REASON. He isn't on this team long term under ANY circumstances. Just because we tried to make up for his loss doesn't mean we made a bad move if we don't get equal value (which we likely won't).

If we didn't get Millner, Wilson would have been compared to Revis ("this guy stinks! We should've kept Revis!"). No matter who we put out there, SOJF would complain "it should be Revis", completely disregarding the facts of the situation . . .
    +1 How some fans can't get that through their thick heads is amazing.. Wait till the guaranteed money hold out next year..

I'm not saying this is how it should be, but the media will forever call him Revis-lite. It's the way things work. I wanted Revis gone as well, but drafting a CB right away with the first pick puts the kid in a difficult spot.

Anyone who says the jets have not improved doesn't know football.

I Love Winters as a LG to replace Slauson. I don't see him having any issue sliding in at guard at all.

Minter fills a need at corner

Richardson will allow Coples and Wilkenson to be rested during the 4th qtr, I would have went with Star on the nose but Richardson is a player. If the team switches to a real 4 man front he starts at DT with Wilk and Coples to RDE

Gino is better than Tebow or Mac. The guy has upside. I hope the jets don't start him until December, Let Garrard take him under his wing. The only thing I don't like about him is that he does not act like a quarterback. The guy has no swagger at all.

No one is going to compare him to Revis, What your going to hear is Revis would have knocked that ball down, every time a WR catches a ball. And YOU will hear that in your head too. It is natural. I think it is easier for him to come in and replace a future HOF for that reason, no one expects him to be as good as Revis.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Anyone who says the jets have not improved doesn't know football.

I Love Winters as a LG to replace Slauson. I don't see him having any issue sliding in at guard at all.

Minter fills a need at corner

Richardson will allow Coples and Wilkenson to be rested during the 4th qtr, I would have went with Star on the nose but Richardson is a player. If the team switches to a real 4 man front he starts at DT with Wilk and Coples to RDE

Gino is better than Tebow or Mac. The guy has upside. I hope the jets don't start him until December, Let Garrard take him under his wing. The only thing I don't like about him is that he does not act like a quarterback. The guy has no swagger at all.
    I was with you until this.