Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gil Brandt on our draft

All League

Gil Brandt on our draft

Not being a draftnik I can only really rely on what the experts think in assessing how we did. And though old as dirt, he's considered one of the best (if not THE best) expert in the media on college prospects.

According to his top 100, we got 3 of the top 13 players (Milliner 6, Geno 7, Richardson 13). And he rates Winters at #58 (we got him at 78). If he's right, there was not a single overdraft, and a lot of GREAT value. If he's even in the ballpark on his rankings, we still did very well. I know many of you will not agree with him -- and for those that studied film and spent lots of time analyzing, that's totally reasonable -- but it must be said that Brandt has a very good track record. For me, at least, it makes me feel a lot better.

As a message board, we needed to brace ourselves for the Jets drafting BPA, not on need. That would have made the shock of a couple of picks easier.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    As a message board, we needed to brace ourselves for the Jets drafting BPA, not on need. That would have made the shock of a couple of picks easier.
    Not as a message board.....

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
    The Jets got two really good first rounders in Dee Milliner and Sheldon Richardson. Offensive lineman Brian Winters was another good pick.

Really like what Jets, Vikings, Rams, Steelers, Packers, Lions and Jaguars have done in #NFLDraft so far

He also like the Geno pick

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    yes. that's another good point about this draft. we all wanted to see the Jets address needs, and doing so probably would have made them better this year. That's a short-term approach, and it makes sense for a team that feels they're on the cusp of competing for a championship. But for a team in rebuild mode, BPA makes much more sense. That probably seems obvious to some, but it's something that I had to kind of explain to myself over the last couple of days.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
    The Jets got two really good first rounders in Dee Milliner and Sheldon Richardson. Offensive lineman Brian Winters was another good pick.

Really like what Jets, Vikings, Rams, Steelers, Packers, Lions and Jaguars have done in #NFLDraft so far

He also like the Geno pick
    hard not to like a guy rated #7 on your board (and the top ranked QB as well) at slot 39!
    Last edited by gaffneycatch; 04-27-2013 at 09:57 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    We had needs at CB with Revis gone, at RB with Green gone, at QB with Sanchez being a disaster, at Guard with Moore going.

Seems like we already filled some major holes already from a need perspective.

I hate listening to so-called "experts" giving their opinion as a method to stir the pot. Most experts are just people with egos that want attention. Gil Brandt is on of the few "experts" that I actually view as an expert. Not just saying that because what he said, just listen to him on Sirius and you'll know he actually understands the game.

Too much to like, not enough to whine about. Oh look at the boards, my mistake! Seems like every pick was a disaster... right? Forgot where I was!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post
    Not being a draftnik I can only really rely on what the experts think in assessing how we did. And though old as dirt, he's considered one of the best (if not THE best) expert in the media on college prospects.

According to his top 100, we got 3 of the top 13 players (Milliner 6, Geno 7, Richardson 13). And he rates Winters at #58 (we got him at 78). If he's right, there was not a single overdraft, and a lot of GREAT value. If he's even in the ballpark on his rankings, we still did very well. I know many of you will not agree with him -- and for those that studied film and spent lots of time analyzing, that's totally reasonable -- but it must be said that Brandt has a very good track record. For me, at least, it makes me feel a lot better.
    I agree. We got three of the top 20 prospects according to NFL.com. I also agree with the poster who said that we were not ready for the BAP approach.

Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks
    Talked to several personnel execs around the league. Universal praise for the 4 players the Jets selected. Good value with each pick.

I like this draft much better after having taken Winters. Very solid prospect and you figure if he pans out he'll be cheaper in the long run than a Warmack or Cooper.

Still wish we could have managed to trade down at some point though. Would have been nicer if we could have traded for Ivory and still had another 4th in our pocket.

Talked to several personnel execs around the league. Universal praise for the 4 players the Jets selected. Good value with each pick.
    But Idzik's a "cap guy", right? Seriously, good to hear. Those are the guys to listen to. Questions for you...1) why Khasheem Greene still on board? 2) Shamarko Thomas...think fit for Jets? 3) think Washington(lb from Ga.) lasts till 5th?

All League

I find this very interesting. While there is some consensus that the Jets made some good selections, the media storm stating how poorly the Jets drafted continues. This proves beyond any doubt that the media has an agenda.

You know I think the 3 day draft makes you look at the draft completely differently. I HATED the first day (gave it an F), because it was defense/defense at what could be considered not our biggest areas of need. But after we drafted on day 2 I feel dramatically better, even excited about the draft so far.

Gil Brandt is really in a league himself in terms of talent evaluation. Mayock is awesome, but there is a reason the NFL uses Gil to choose who attends the NFL draft. He still works as hard on player evaluation as he did when he was a cowboy.

So to get three of his Top 13 players is pretty special. If he has Geno at 7 he thinks he can be a franchise type guy

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    I find this very interesting. While there is some consensus that the Jets made some good selections, the media storm stating how poorly the Jets drafted continues. This proves beyond any doubt that the media has an agenda.
    Especially NFLN. They showed Geno's lowlights, and acted completely befuddled and laughed at the pick. If Philly had picked Geno at 4!!!, they would have hailed the pick and blathered on about how he will excel under Chip Kelly.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Especially NFLN. They showed Geno's lowlights, and acted completely befuddled and laughed at the pick. If Philly had picked Geno at 4!!!, they would have hailed the pick and blathered on about how he will excel under Chip Kelly.
    Mayock was showing why he dropped to the 2nd...

People need to chill...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    But Idzik's a "cap guy", right? Seriously, good to hear. Those are the guys to listen to. Questions for you...1) why Khasheem Greene still on board? 2) Shamarko Thomas...think fit for Jets? 3) think Washington(lb from Ga.) lasts till 5th?
    Still too early to worry about who is left for us in the 5th. Only likely to get frustrated.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JETS2417 View Post
    I hate listening to so-called "experts" giving their opinion as a method to stir the pot. Most experts are just people with egos that want attention. Gil Brandt is on of the few "experts" that I actually view as an expert. Not just saying that because what he said, just listen to him on Sirius and you'll know he actually understands the game.
    Agreed. I think Gil Brandt is the best NFL analyst on the radio today. He's also got a mind like a steel trap.

Even the haters can't deny the Jets got good value at each pick, so I'm really kind of shocked how much the majority of our fanbase dislikes our draft.