Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: So the "experts" have Sanchez out the door

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Sudbury,Ma
    Posts
    2,809
    Post Thanks / Like

    So the "experts" have Sanchez out the door

    Just finished reading Gary Myers piece in the Daily News. What makes him think he knows what the Jets are thinking when it comes to QB ?

    The Sanchez era indeed could be over but is Smith really a franchise QB ? If he were would he lasted so deep into the 2nd round ? I mean NFL teams live and breath football and obviously they saw something in Smith that they did not like.

    I believe the reality is that Sanchez will compete for the starting job and if he has a good year they will still probably want to meet with him to restructure his contract. If he has another bad year than he WILL be gone but please don't tell me that automatically he is gone. That is just copy to sell papers

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,693
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe he will be gone.

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Sudbury,Ma
    Posts
    2,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it depends on what he shows both in camp and during the season. If he has not improved by leap and bounds I think he will be gone but if he improves I think that they will tell him to restructure his contract or he is gone

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    14,737
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez won't sniff the field unless Smith is a bomb in the preseason and Garrard loses a leg.

    You can't trot out that loser and expect to get any respect from the rest of the team.

  5. #5
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    209
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    I think it depends on what he shows both in camp and during the season. If he has not improved by leap and bounds I think he will be gone but if he improves I think that they will tell him to restructure his contract or he is gone
    This would be the smartest way to let it play out. If he looks good then give him a shot. Honestly, no reason to cut him at all this season if it only increases our cap hit. I don't see him as a potential headache you just have to address your QB situation with confidence if you're the Jets. If we cut him and take a cap hit of almost $5mil next year that we didn't have to take then that is just stupid. Money can be spent to sign a free agent instead of being dead money.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    Just finished reading Gary Myers piece in the Daily News. What makes him think he knows what the Jets are thinking when it comes to QB ?

    The Sanchez era indeed could be over but is Smith really a franchise QB ? If he were would he lasted so deep into the 2nd round ? I mean NFL teams live and breath football and obviously they saw something in Smith that they did not like.

    I believe the reality is that Sanchez will compete for the starting job and if he has a good year they will still probably want to meet with him to restructure his contract. If he has another bad year than he WILL be gone but please don't tell me that automatically he is gone. That is just copy to sell papers
    Yea probably the same thing everyone saw in Russell Wilson. The reason Geno fell is because of the drama at the QB position. Jax took Gabbard 2 years ago and felt like that was too early to write him off. Cleveland didn't have a 2nd round pick. Philly didn't pull the trigger because of what they currently have on the roster. Vick, like Sanchez, would have had a temper tantrum had they taken Geno. And AZ felt like the investment with Palmer was better than risking bringing in another rookie.

    The Bills took Manuel because of his potential. Manuel is no where near as good as Geno right now. Not saying in 4 years that will still be the case but I like Geno's chances with Marty M and David Lee coaching him up.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Sanchez won't sniff the field unless Smith is a bomb in the preseason and Garrard loses a leg.

    You can't trot out that loser and expect to get any respect from the rest of the team.
    +1

    Fours years into his career, we have seen his best and that was below average. Idzik's message of competition to the whole team will come off as hypocritical is Sanchez is starting against TB.

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,793
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Sanchez won't sniff the field unless Smith is a bomb in the preseason and Garrard loses a leg.

    You can't trot out that loser and expect to get any respect from the rest of the team.
    Same can be said of the HC who was the mastermind behind this "elite" offense and the developer of our young offensive talent. But I guess at least in his case the defense supposedly loves him.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,207
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez is gone, IMHO. I have thought this since Idzik's opening Press Conf.

    He will be traded today if the Jets can find a buyer willing to swallow his salary for a year in exchange for a future conditional low-round pick (Jets get a 7th if his team wins the SB type deal) or he will be cut very soon.

    Garrard starts the year as Geno's mentor, Tebow and McElroy battle for the other spot (though both may stick for this year).

  10. #10
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    93
    Post Thanks / Like
    to me it deoes not make sense to get rid of sanchez....we don't know ig geno es going to start, lets say he does, sanchez could be the back up or even back up Garrard.....I would still keep him after next year as a back up if he comes cheap

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    If they cut him this year doesn't it avoid a cap hit next year?

    May be one of the worst contracts in sports history...............

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ch107 View Post
    to me it deoes not make sense to get rid of sanchez....we don't know ig geno es going to start, lets say he does, sanchez could be the back up or even back up Garrard.....I would still keep him after next year as a back up if he comes cheap
    I think the reason behind cutting Sanchez is that Garrard would be a much better mentor. Garrard has had some success in this league. He played for several seasons with zero weopans around him and still manages to do well. He is just too old to withstand the pounding every week. But he can play the role of Brunell for next season.

    Sanchez pouting on the sidelines isn't going to do anything except give the media something to dish out to their viewers.

    Plus, what attributes does Sanchez possess that would make him a good mentor? He is fine physically, it's his head that is all messed up. He is no help with bringing Geno along.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,207
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    I think the reason behind cutting Sanchez is that Garrard would be a much better mentor. Garrard has had some success in this league. He played for several seasons with zero weopans around him and still manages to do well. He is just too old to withstand the pounding every week. But he can play the role of Brunell for next season.

    Sanchez pouting on the sidelines isn't going to do anything except give the media something to dish out to their viewers.

    Plus, what attributes does Sanchez possess that would make him a good mentor? He is fine physically, it's his head that is all messed up. He is no help with bringing Geno along.
    Precisely. Sanchez went to pieces when faced with Tebow, who was no real threat. How is he going to cope when faced with the top QB prospect from the draft? He will fall to pieces and pout, and it could have a bad impact on Geno. Get rid of Sanchez, for his sake, Geno's sake and the Jets' sake.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us