Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Jets might have a good 3rd down defense this year

  1. #1

    Jets might have a good 3rd down defense this year

    Like most here, I was a little concerned about the day one picks, only because they were two perceived positions of strength (relatively speaking). But with these picks, I see the team getting off the field more frequently on 3rd downs.

    DE - Wilkerson / Barnes
    DT - Coples / Richardson
    LB - Harris / Davis
    CB - Cro / Millner / Wilson
    SS - Landry
    FS - ??

    Jets should be able to generate pressure with that group, and you have to believe three corners of that caliber should have opportunities to make plays if they aren't expected to hold up for too long.

    If it's 3rd and short, bring in Ellis and slide Coples out to Barnes's spot at DE. The pieces are definitely there to control the LOS in critical situations and make stops.

    We know the offense won't be lighting the world on fire, but one way to help a subpar offense is to get the unit more possessions. Hopefully with instant contributions from the first rounders, that will be the case.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Like most here, I was a little concerned about the day one picks, only because they were two perceived positions of strength (relatively speaking). But with these picks, I see the team getting off the field more frequently on 3rd downs.

    DE - Wilkerson / Barnes
    DT - Coples / Richardson
    LB - Harris / Davis
    CB - Cro / Millner / Wilson
    SS - Landry
    FS - ??

    Jets should be able to generate pressure with that group, and you have to believe three corners of that caliber should have opportunities to make plays if they aren't expected to hold up for too long.

    If it's 3rd and short, bring in Ellis and slide Coples out to Barnes's spot at DE. The pieces are definitely there to control the LOS in critical situations and make stops.

    We know the offense won't be lighting the world on fire, but one way to help a subpar offense is to get the unit more possessions. Hopefully with instant contributions from the first rounders, that will be the case.
    I dont believe Barnes has ever played DE. He is an OLB even in a 4-3. Calvin Pace and Garrett McIntyre would be our DE as it stands right now.

  3. #3
    As frustrating as last year's offense was, it was pretty much expected and therefore "easier" to accept.

    But when we supposedly have a top-whatever defense and CONSTANTLY let drives continue -- I'll sign up for ANYTHING that helps us rectify that situation . . .

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,300
    Any chance we get a double-digit sack guy?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    As frustrating as last year's offense was, it was pretty much expected and therefore "easier" to accept.

    But when we supposedly have a top-whatever defense and CONSTANTLY let drives continue -- I'll sign up for ANYTHING that helps us rectify that situation . . .
    +1

    Biggest frustration for me is seeing this team squander opportunities to pin a team deep or change momentum by coming up with a big stop. Can't help but think that situation will get better.

    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Any chance we get a double-digit sack guy?
    Would be nice...I don't know if any of these guys are going to close the deal consistently enough to get the numbers, but I definitely see pressure and disruption. And with a front four like that (including blitzers like Davis and Millner), the pressure can come from anywhere.

    In my optimistic Sat morning view, I think we go back to the defense we saw in the first few games of 2009. No one guy continuously getting to the QB, but relentless pressure and a lot of punts from opposing offenses.

  6. #6
    This d-line could be something special. Imagine this Richardson guy is a stud? Our d-line will literally be unblockable. People forget how dominant Coples looked at times down the stretch. And Wilkerson was playing at a Pro Bowl level all season. Granted we don't have that edge rusher. But teams better watch out for this front 7.

  7. #7
    Milliner is also a great blitzer. We didn't send Revis often because he was too valuable in coverage. But until Milliner establishes himself as a shutdown corner (as we all hope), this is another option for Rex to dial up on 3rd down.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    This d-line could be something special. Imagine this Richardson guy is a stud? Our d-line will literally be unblockable. People forget how dominant Coples looked at times down the stretch. And Wilkerson was playing at a Pro Bowl level all season. Granted we don't have that edge rusher. But teams better watch out for this front 7.
    I read somewhere that Richardson led the nation in stops on 3rd and 4th down. Much needed.

  9. #9
    I don't think that our opponents are listening to the analyst when they are looking at the NY Jets on their schedule.

    That D line is going to be brutal

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Any chance we get a double-digit sack guy?
    If Coples is on 4-3 DE both him and Barnes have a good shot IMO. I wouldnt be shocked if we had 35 out of our front 4 alone. Wilk as a DT could very well rack up 5-7 himself as a DT. Coples 8-14 could be the range IMO. Richardson and Garay I'll say 4 min. With the other side on single coverage McIntyre and Pace could both get a few if they are our other end. Add in LB blitzes if we even get average LB sack production I really feel this could be a 50 sack team. If Barnes can repeat his 11 sack season that would be a given.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us