Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: TOJ: How Richardson fits with our defense

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

TOJ: How Richardson fits with our defense

Good article from TurnOnTheJets about how he fits with our D.

Final paragraph:
    While it was a confusing pick for a lot of Jets fans, it may be because the Jets have made a shift in defensive scheme right under our noses. The pick of Richardson gives them more versatility up front as they continue to stock talented, versatile defensive linemen. It will give Rex Ryan even more flexibility to run the multiple fronts that he wants to run in 2013.
    Full article:

http://turnonthejets.com/2013/04/a-d...on-richardson/

The Jets’ second first round pick last night left a lot of people scratching their heads. The concern wasn’t focused on Sheldon Richardson’s talent, but focused on the fact that they selected a defensive lineman in the first round for the third straight year despite more urgent needs at other positions. No matter what you think about the selection, it’s important to take a look at what Richardson could bring to the Jets defense before completely passing judgment.

The mainstream draft gurus commonly had Richardson ranked behind Sharrif Floyd and Star Lotulelei at the Defensive Tackle position. However, several of the respected lesser known draft gurus like Bleacher Report’s Ryan Lownes had him ranked as the top defensive tackle in the draft and a top 5 pick. Obviously, the Jets shared the opinion of the lesser known draft analysts. Reports indicate that the Jets had Richardson ranked in their top 4 prospects and for good reason.

Richardson is an excellent one-gap defensive tackle; arguably the best in this draft. He is best when the scheme allows him to fire off the ball through the gap he is responsible for. It allows him to get off the ball extremely quick and eliminates the hesitation that comes with taking on blocks and reading the play. Because of playing in this scheme, he has really developed some of the moves you need to be a penetrator. He has an excellent rip move and a good swim move that he uses both to stuff the run and put together a pass rush.

Richardson’s athleticism is astounding. He was a 3 sport star in high school and was a tight end before exclusively playing defensive line in junior college. When watching film on Richardson, it is rare to find a kid that can pursue the way he does from the defensive tackle position. The amount of tackles he makes down field and outside the tackle box is incredible. Once he realizes that a running play is not coming inside the tackle box, he plays like a middle linebacker. He can cover the field sideline to sideline from the defensive tackle position.

His main weakness comes through when he is taking on blocks, particularly double teams. He is savvy when there are holes in an offensive line’s double team technique, but when a solid double team comes at him, he has trouble holding his ground. Although he played at 310 last year, he looks a lot lighter than that on the field and doesn’t have a great anchor. As with any penetrating tackle, he can get caught on down blocks and knocked out of the gap he is responsible for.

While the Jets are considered a 3-4 base defense, they really play a multiple defensive front. They will run 3-4, 4-3, 4-4, and the 46 among other fronts. In 2012, they played more 4 man fronts than I can remember. The drafting of Sheldon Richardson could be the next step in this shift to using 4 man fronts. It is clear than Richardson cannot be a two gap nose guard in a base 3-4 defense. He would be more of a five technique. But his strength is still as a penetrating 3 technique in a 4 man front. With the departure of Mike DeVito they lost their 3 technique in the 4 man front. Richardson was needed to fill that spot. Quinton Coples struggled against the run on the inside at times, but showed a lot of promise at the end of the season when asked to bump outside. Kenrick Ellis is too big and slow to play in the Jets’ 4 man front packages. With this move and the Jets hinting that they weren’t even thinking about a 3-4 OLB type pass rusher at 9 or 13, they may be ready to make the full transition to a predominantly 4 man front.

The 46 is also still a major part of the Jets defensive scheme. While Richardson can’t be a nose guard in a base 3-4, he can play nose guard or the 3 techniques in the 46. The inside 3 in the 46 could be a dominating group with Richardson, Wilkerson, and Ellis covering up the center and guards. A penetrating 4 man front could be special with Coples, Wilkerson, Richardson, and Calvin Pace, Ricky Sapp or someone they take later in the draft. If nothing else, the Jets could now have a deep, young collection of defensive linemen that could progress into one of the top groups in the NFL, particularly in the middle.

While it was a confusing pick for a lot of Jets fans, it may be because the Jets have made a shift in defensive scheme right under our noses. The pick of Richardson gives them more versatility up front as they continue to stock talented, versatile defensive linemen. It will give Rex Ryan even more flexibility to run the multiple fronts that he wants to run in 2013.
    Last edited by thshadow; 04-27-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilkerson, Coples, Richardson = Anarchy

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Wilkerson, Coples, Richardson = Anarchy
    Agreed. Throw the fact out that Ellis is still growing and that Antwan Barnes has the ability to get the QB and I'd say our pass rush is upgraded from last year. Many, including myself, believe Ricky Sapp will be a surprise too at OLB as long as he stays healthy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Richardson was one of those sleeper picks that eluded the 'experts' eye but not scouts and GM's. The Falcons were very interested in him and were considering trading up from 30 to 13 but obviously could not afford to do so when the time came after blowing that wad on Julio Jones back in 2011.

The Atlanta Falcons are reportedly interested in Missouri defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson, according to Sports Illustrated's Peter King. However, King doesn't know if the team will want to pay the price necessary to trade up from the 30th pick, as Richardson will be off the board well before they are on the clock.

More: The Falcoholic
    Richardson is rated as one of the top defensive tackles available in the 2013 NFL Draft, along with Utah's Star Lotulelei and Florida's Sharrif Floyd. The 6'4, 295 pound St. Louis native had 75 tackles, four sacks, and 10.5 tackles for a loss during his junior season in 2012, and opted to leave early for the NFL.

The Falcons made a big draft day trade in 2011, moving up from the 27th pick to the sixth pick to take wide receiver Julio Jones. The move cost Atlanta five picks, though, so the team may not be willing to pay that large of a price so soon.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Richardson reminds of John Randle..... If I remember right, he was pretty good.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Richardson reminds of John Randle..... If I remember right, he was pretty good.
    SONNY, we can only hope brother !!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QERsU3dsDYE

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    thought about this pick more.

starting line should could be coples, ellis and wilkerson. richardson can rotate with coples or wilk to give them breathers. Or wilk can slide to DT and you have coples and richardson as ends. even better, they can roll with a 4 man front with coples and richardson at end, ellis and wilk at DT.

the more I think about it, the more I love this pick

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if the plan is to use Richardson at 3T or DE in 4 man fronts? It seemed Coples was most productive on the edge in both 3 and 4 man fronts last season. With his 4.71 speed, this kid could be our RDE / hybrid OLB. Question is can he drop and cover?

The issue predicting the 4 man line is all our 3 last DE picks are one gap penetrators. So who plays the NT and 3T in the 4 man front?

Base 3-4:
    Coples (LDE), Garay (NT), Wilk (RDE)
    Pace (LOLB), Davis (LILB), Harris (RILB), Barnes (ROLB)

Base 4-3?
    Coples (LDE), Garay (NT), Wilk (3T), Richardson (RDE)
    Davis (LOLB), Harris (MLB), Barnes (ROLB)

Confused

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    I wonder if the plan is to use Richardson at 3T or DE in 4 man fronts? It seemed Coples was most productive on the edge in both 3 and 4 man fronts last season. With his 4.71 speed, this kid could be our RDE / hybrid OLB. Question is can he drop and cover?

The issue predicting the 4 man line is all our 3 last DE picks are one gap penetrators. So who plays the NT and 3T in the 4 man front?

Base 3-4:
    Coples (LDE), Garay (NT), Wilk (RDE)
    Pace (LOLB), Davis (LILB), Harris (RILB), Barnes (ROLB)

Base 4-3?
    Coples (LDE), Garay (NT), Wilk (3T), Richardson (RDE)
    Davis (LOLB), Harris (MLB), Barnes (ROLB)

Confused
    I think Coples is going to be alternating between standing up and playing the edge in a 3-4 stance. The Jets Blog has an article about it here:

http://thejetsblog.com/bga/bga-nano-...er/#more-71370

So I think the lineup will look like this:

3-4

Richardson - Ellis - Wilk

Coples - Davis - Harris - Barnes

4-3

Coples - Richardson - Ellis - Wilk

Davis - Harris - Barnes

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice link, I love how Coples at LOLB on this play makes Pace look like he is in quicksand. However, I think Richardson is better suited to the OLB role in this formation described in the article. It will be sweet to see both Coples and Richardson on the edges in this amoeba 4 man front. Speed and power ...