Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: **Jets 5th Round Draft Pick Thread**

Jets Insider VIP
    Are there serious character concerns with Washington or something?

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Life View Post
    High graded, versatile lineman in round 5. Smart pick by Idzik. By taking guys like this who can possibly start it helps us focus on taking weapons next year instead of reaching on one now.
    these are the rounds you can get quality offensive linemen. this is why you don't take warmack in the first round. the jets got 2 pretty good linemen in rounds 3 and 5. they really needed a backup tackle. the line has needed fresh blood for years.

And people have to realize the Jets WR corps is not as bad as people think. They get Holmes and Hill back, they have Kerley. I have a feeling they will bring back Braylon Edwards

Dang, there goes Quanterus Smith

I like mean OL. Both Winters and Aboushi play with a little bit of a mean streak.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Mentally tough individual, as demonstrated by the fact that he grew up a Muslim American in Brooklyn, NY.
    This doesn't bode well for Teblow, hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    And people have to realize the Jets WR corps is not as bad as people think. They get Holmes and Hill back, they have Kerley. I have a feeling they will bring back Braylon Edwards
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    these are the rounds you can get quality offensive linemen. this is why you don't take warmack in the first round. the jets got 2 pretty good linemen in rounds 3 and 5. they really needed a backup tackle. the line has needed fresh blood for years.
    Exactly.. give me a high graded OL like this who has a great chance to contribute now instead of an average WR who probably wont be good. Now we take stud weapons next year early.

Can we find another sucker to take Vlad off our hands for another 5th or 6th?

From Nov 2012:

Rising Players:

Oday Aboushi Offensive Tackle Virginia Senior
    6050 (Estimated) 315 (Estimated) 5.25 (Estimated) Potential 1st / 2nd Round Pick
    Rarely do I have the chance to write about a legit NFL prospect from Brooklyn, New York, so being able to include Aboushi on this list brings me great pleasure. Beginning his third season as a starter for Virginia in 2012, Oday was viewed as a smart and competitive blocker with a chance to be a fourth or fifth round pick. However, Oday’s play has improved dramatically. Displaying better feet and athleticism than previously, he has made it look easy pulling and lead blocking effectively on outside runs this season. His ability to pass block with great base combines with his feet so that he can slide and shuffle easily to protect the edge vs good pass rushers. With Aboushi’s feet, athleticism, ability to block with base and strength he has everything it takes to become a quality starting left tackle in the NFL.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...-ten-1337.html

NFP Final report:

SUMMARY - Oday Aboushi received a strong amount of media hype heading into the Senior Bowl, but film study makes it clear that his struggles in Mobile were more an accurate depiction of his abilities as a player than they were a huge disappointment. He has a thick frame and the measurables to play inside and out, but is clearly more suited to play guard because of his general stiffness and lack of foot quickness. He does possess excellent strength at the POA, but often neutralizes his own strength by being late to attack with his hands and playing too upright. Although he is able to consistently lock onto his man with his hands inside, he tends to grab the defender's jersey and leaves himself susceptible to penalties. While he clearly doesn't belong in day one or even day two discussions, he should be off the board by early day three as teams will love his size and natural power. If he can become quicker getting his hands out and more efficient with his footwork and leverage, he could develop into a starting guard at the next level.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ml&position=ot

Jets Insider VIP
    another good value pick at the spot in the draft by our new GM that appears to actually have a plan and know what he is doing...

his predecessor would have already awarded this pick to Rex and the next two to Westy as trinkets with no value

Good job by Idzik

All League
    Agreed. But I would still like to see a large TE who can block AND catch. That may have to wait until next year, though.

And we drafted Jordan White last year and have a couple of other undrafted rookie FA WRs from last year (and will get some this year).

All Pro
    I hope we take a fly on Da'Rick Rodgers

Jets Insider VIP
    and thanks to JI for having this thread so I can see who the Jets select without having to watch Rich "the Retard" Eisen dredge up SAR-like comedy material about Geno Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    Agreed. But I would still like to see a large TE who can block AND catch. That may have to wait until next year, though.
    I thought Hayden was killing people in practice.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Tony Pauline's analysis:

Oday Aboushi
    School: Virginia
    Position: T
    Bio: Three-year starter awarded all-Conference honors as a senior. Primarily lined up at left tackle, though he spent time on the right side as a sophomore.
    Positive: Terrific pass blocker with nice size. Agile, bends his knees and gets leverage on opponents. Effectively uses blocking angles and displays good range off the edge. Fluid sliding out, keeps his feet moving, and stays square. Works well with teammates. Keeps his head on a swivel and easily anchors at the point of attack. Plays with balance and body control and seals pass rushers from the action.

Negative: Does not block with a killer mentality. Average run-blocking strength and struggles to finish the play. Gets lazy with his hands and slow getting into defenders.

Analysis: Aboushi has been a consistent left tackle for Virginia the past two years and is one of the better pass protectors in the 2013 NFL draft. He needs to pick up the intensity as a run blocker, but Aboushi comes with upside and has starting possibilities for the next level.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    We have Reuland for that! He did well without a camp for us last year.

Quote Originally Posted by dcronin View Post
    Yeah, as unsexy as it is, having a deep OL is a good thing. We were thin last year and it sucked.

But let me ask you draftniks - would someone like Swope or D'arick Rogers at WR been more impactful there?
    They will be there in rd6. Dont wish for players you will be disappointed. Wish for BPA. We got one who will be a starter for us in the future. If you can o that in rd5 thn that's a success.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    We have Reuland for that! He did well without a camp for us last year.
    I actually like Reuland!