Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: **Jets 5th Round Draft Pick Thread**

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    I like mean OL. Both Winters and Aboushi play with a little bit of a mean streak.
    Love the pick, drafting two young nasty O-Lineman, Idzik has already proved he is smarter than Tannenbaum by far.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    We have Reuland for that! He did well without a camp for us last year.
    I like him..I also think he fits what Mornhinweg's likes in TEs..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    and thanks to JI for having this thread so I can see who the Jets select without having to watch Rich "the Retard" Eisen dredge up SAR-like comedy material about Geno Smith
    Rich Eisen is ****ing awesome. He's a huge Jets fan, he jokes around.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Idzik is actually doing great. Next years draft is about the OLB, S, WR and TE, and maybe RB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    04/24/2013 - 2013 NFL DRAFT RANG'S GANG: OT: Oday Aboushi, Virginia, 6-6, 308, 5.45...A standout left tackle at Virginia, Aboushi's lack of elite foot quickness and balance was exposed a bit at the Senior Bowl and confirmed with less than stellar numbers at the combine. He plays with the aggression and power I'm looking for at right tackle, however. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFuel View Post
    Just so funny how people think they know anything.

Jets pick Oday Aboushi OT

not washington what a shock
    Lol, you thought i actually "checked" ? Checked what, the future?

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Can't it be the other way around-Winters at OG and Aboushi at RT?
    Could, but i think they're pegging Aboushi as only a RT, which i don't agree with. He could play Guard.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Tony Pauline's analysis:

Oday Aboushi
    School: Virginia
    Position: T
    Bio: Three-year starter awarded all-Conference honors as a senior. Primarily lined up at left tackle, though he spent time on the right side as a sophomore.
    Positive: Terrific pass blocker with nice size. Agile, bends his knees and gets leverage on opponents. Effectively uses blocking angles and displays good range off the edge. Fluid sliding out, keeps his feet moving, and stays square. Works well with teammates. Keeps his head on a swivel and easily anchors at the point of attack. Plays with balance and body control and seals pass rushers from the action.

Negative: Does not block with a killer mentality. Average run-blocking strength and struggles to finish the play. Gets lazy with his hands and slow getting into defenders.

Analysis: Aboushi has been a consistent left tackle for Virginia the past two years and is one of the better pass protectors in the 2013 NFL draft. He needs to pick up the intensity as a run blocker, but Aboushi comes with upside and has starting possibilities for the next level.
    Sounds like D'Brick Junior....not even considering they both went to UVA.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    Rich Eisen is ****ing awesome. He's a huge Jets fan, he jokes around.
    +1..But he went overboard with the constant Geno, Te'o, Honeybadger talk yesterday

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post

Could, but i think they're pegging Aboushi as only a RT, which i don't agree with. He could play Guard.
    Agree

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    these are the rounds you can get quality offensive linemen. this is why you don't take warmack in the first round. the jets got 2 pretty good linemen in rounds 3 and 5. they really needed a backup tackle. the line has needed fresh blood for years.
    It's fair point - Jets were apparently gonna take Cooper at 9 tho - but you're right in that these scrub CB's now are off the cliff compared to Milliner whereas these two lineman could both be starters in 2014.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    It's fair point - Jets were apparently gonna take Cooper at 9 tho - but you're right in that these scrub CB's now are off the cliff compared to Milliner whereas these two lineman could both be starters in 2014.
    that's the thing. would rather have milliner and these guards vs. cooper and these cbs. that's what so many have been saying as the value of taking guards in the first round. it was a tough draft for that given the board.

can just imagine if the jets had somehow got austin in the first, then drafted geno. wow.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    It is a very good pick. Prior to the combine most had this guys as a 3rd rounder. Winters will be a T Oday a G. I like it.
    I think it will be the reverse: Winters at OG and Aboushi at OT

I was hoping for Washington or Swope but what do I know from reading draft profiles?

There will be fierce competition this year on the OL. Looking pretty deep:

OT: Brick, Howard, Aboushi, Winters?
    OG: Colon, Peterman, Winters, Ducasse, Schlauderaff, Aboushi?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    that's the thing. would rather have milliner and these guards vs. cooper and these cbs. that's what so many have been saying as the value of taking guards in the first round. it was a tough draft for that given the board.

can just imagine if the jets had somehow got austin in the first, then drafted geno. wow.
    Went to bed thinking about that last night, lol - seriously. Would've been an instant connection and Marty would have copied half the WVU playbook, that woulda been awesome, but still had serious reservations about Austin's size, thought about that skinny kid from the Bears, Johnny Knox, whose spine literally got broken in half last year, career over - 170 lbs is dangerous in the league.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post

I was hoping for Washington or Swope but what do I know from reading draft profiles?

Winters Pro Day vs Odeys outside of height he is a better RT prospect then Odey and that is a higher priority IMO.
    40-yard dash: 5.25 5.45

Broad jump: 8' 11'' 8'4"

Vertical jump: 31.5 23.50

Weight 320lbs 308 lbs

Height 6'4 6'6

Arm Length 32 3/4 33 7/8

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post

That is 10 guys to fill 7 spots maybe 8 if we go that way which is unlikely ATM

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    That is 10 guys to fill 7 spots maybe 8 if we go that way which is unlikely ATM
    Take away Ducasse for discussions sake.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    And people have to realize the Jets WR corps is not as bad as people think. They get Holmes and Hill back, they have Kerley. I have a feeling they will bring back Braylon Edwards
    For them not to draft ANY Wide Receiver as of yet, it tends to seem that they will go after and sign a Vet and Braylon sounds like the guy who should be brought back since he showed more heart and desire late last season than any of the jokers playing those final few games.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    For them not to draft ANY Wide Receiver as of yet, it tends to seem that they will go after and sign a Vet and Braylon sounds like the guy who should be brought back since he showed more heart and desire late last season than any of the jokers playing those final few games.
    With Holmes, Hill, Kerley, Jordan White on the roster I think the right move is to bring in a solid, if unspectacular, veteran WR.

I think there will be a few running around Free Agency in the coming weeks.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    um I wish the best for lattimore but you said stay healthy....he is not even close to being ready to play football......will take time and I hope he makes it all the way back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    Great pick by the 49ers. With 13 picks, they can afford to take a shot. He will be a beast if he can stay healthy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Cimini: Fifth round: OT Oday Aboushi

PICK: Fifth round (141st overall)

PLAYER: Oday Aboushi

SCHOOL: Virginia

POSITION: Offensive tackle

HEIGHT: 6-foot-5

WEIGHT: 308

What it means: Despite pressing needs at tight end, safety and wide receiver, the Jets picked another offensive lineman who likely who won't play as a rookie. (See: G Brian Winters, third round.) Aboushi was a three-year starter at Virginia, the first year at right tackle and the latter two at left tackle. He graded out at 90 percent last season, according to the Virginia coaches. He averaged 10 knockdown blocks per game. He needs to work on his upper-body strength, as he recorded only 17 reps on the 225-pound bench press at the combine. He was a team captain. He took a pre-draft visit to the Jets. He attended Xavarian High School in Brooklyn.

How he fits the offensive scheme: Aboushi projects as a right tackle because he lacks the necessary athleticism to play the left side, yet you wonder if he has the strength and run-blocking ability to excel as a strong-side tackle. He played some guard at the Senior Bowl for the first time.

Projected impact: This is Austin Howard insurance. Howard, coming off his first season as the starting right tackle, is playing on one-year contract and will be an unrestricted free agent. If Howard continues to develop -- the Jets are high on him -- it'll mean no role for Aboushi as a rookie. If nothing else, the Jets have improved their line depth over the last three days, drafting Aboushi and Winters and signing former Lions G Stephen Peterman.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...t-oday-aboushi