Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Don't Think The Jets Will Release Mark Sanchez

I Don't Think The Jets Will Release Mark Sanchez

Okay so if there is a new theme among the Jets it seems that every dollar, draft pick, and player counts that can eventually be a commodity for a trade. We played out the Darrelle Revis trade until right before the draft, seemingly to maximize his trade value as he got more healthy. We still have Tim Tebow on this roster because it seems we are trying to get SOMETHING out of him instead of just releasing him.

And now, we have QB competition for the first time in at least 5 years. We are already on the hook for the money owed to Sanchez, and as of right now he has a chance to win the starting job (as crazy as it seems). If Geno Smith isn't NFL-ready then I say let him sit for a year and he will be much more prepared for the 2014 season. Then, if Mark Sanchez even plays decent, he will easily be worth a draft pick to some team at the end of the season in a trade.

I don't think Idzik cuts ties with Sanchez because I believe he still sees some value. If Sanchez does win starting job then he can be a trade piece, much like Alex Smith was. If he doesn't win job, it doesn't hurt to have depth as time goes on especially considering the risk of injury to Garrard.

I want to know what everyone else thinks about the topic? I've seen conflicting views but this is just my standpoint. From a business standpoint, cutting an overpaid player who potentially can win a starting job is just god awful business. I mean, we are already guaranteed to pay Sanchez a certain amount of money so we may as well keep him around. I just don't get the idea of creating even MORE dead money.

Like a $4 mil cap hit and we need cap room to sign vet FA's to plug holes.

All League
    Really makes no sense to cut him.

Jets Insider VIP
    They need a scapegoat, someone to continue to take the blame for poor performance from not having anything at the skill positions (except for RB, sort of). Just like last year.

Watch. As much as folks will state logical reasons why, Mark will be gone before opening day.

Remember, plenty of "experts" predicted we'd never trade Revis.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The 3 QBs should be Sanchez, Gerrard, & Smith. We really need to sit Geno for a year. Let MM install his system and make sure the O'line is strong. Go into 2014 with a load of draft picks and cap room.

Take the pressure off Geno and let him learn the playbook. Give our new QB a chance to get in the weight room and bulk up a little. Give him some solid reps and get used to the speed of the NFL gradually.

Remove the circus atmosphere by giving the media nothing. Get the Jets out of the spotlight as much as possible.

I know we don't have a great QB for Geno to learn from, but we can at least give him the opportunity to acclimate to NFL life and New York without the pressure of starting.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    The 3 QBs should be Sanchez, Gerrard, & Smith. We really need to sit Geno for a year. Let MM install his system and make sure the O'line is strong. Go into 2014 with a load of draft picks and cap room.

Take the pressure off Geno and let him learn the playbook. Give our new QB a chance to get in the weight room and bulk up a little. Give him some solid reps and get used to the speed of the NFL gradually.

Remove the circus atmosphere by giving the media nothing. Get the Jets out of the spotlight as much as possible.

I know we don't have a great QB for Geno to learn from, but we can at least give him the opportunity to acclimate to NFL life and New York without the pressure of starting.
    Yup, those are the three.

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyWill View Post
    Okay so if there is a new theme among the Jets it seems that every dollar, draft pick, and player counts that can eventually be a commodity for a trade. We played out the Darrelle Revis trade until right before the draft, seemingly to maximize his trade value as he got more healthy. We still have Tim Tebow on this roster because it seems we are trying to get SOMETHING out of him instead of just releasing him.

And now, we have QB competition for the first time in at least 5 years. We are already on the hook for the money owed to Sanchez, and as of right now he has a chance to win the starting job (as crazy as it seems). If Geno Smith isn't NFL-ready then I say let him sit for a year and he will be much more prepared for the 2014 season. Then, if Mark Sanchez even plays decent, he will easily be worth a draft pick to some team at the end of the season in a trade.

I don't think Idzik cuts ties with Sanchez because I believe he still sees some value. If Sanchez does win starting job then he can be a trade piece, much like Alex Smith was. If he doesn't win job, it doesn't hurt to have depth as time goes on especially considering the risk of injury to Garrard.

I want to know what everyone else thinks about the topic? I've seen conflicting views but this is just my standpoint. From a business standpoint, cutting an overpaid player who potentially can win a starting job is just god awful business. I mean, we are already guaranteed to pay Sanchez a certain amount of money so we may as well keep him around. I just don't get the idea of creating even MORE dead money.
    A friend of mine has been saying that Pete Carroll is going to deal for Sanchez. He thinks we'll get a 5th rounder for Sanchez and we would have to still pay 75% of his salary.

Other than that crazy idea I've heard, I cannot see any way the Jets could cut Sanchez. He'll be a Jet this season.

Cutting him for some sort of psychic payoff would be stupid. It makes no sense in terms of the money. Keep him around in case players get hurt or are ineffective. He's a bad starter but a solid backup.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Yup, those are the three.
    Who knows if a team loses a couple of their QB's in the season we may get a pick for Sanchez.. Don't say it can't happen we lost both Chad and Fiedler in the space of a few plays in 05..

Cut him so we take the cap hit this year, not in future years when we can actually be good.

Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    Cut him so we take the cap hit this year, not in future years when we can actually be good.
    If Geno Smith is the real deal, this is a playoff team next year.

Veteran
    There are 3 players battling for 1 position and those 3 players are Sanchez, Garrard and Tebow. Geno will either be the starter or backup, you don't put your 2nd round pick as the 3rd QB on gamedays. And there is no way that any of those 3 guys end up as the 3rd QB. There is no money lost this season if they cut Sanchez and/or Tebow if they designate them as June 1st cuts so money would have nothing to do with keeping Sanchez or Tebow.

And people who keep defending Sanchez and using the excuse that he had nothing surrounding him last year talent wise and think that was the biggest cause of Sanchez turning the ball over twice a game are ridiculous. I saw him miss wide open WR's constantly, I saw him make some of the dumbest decisions on the football field that a QB could make. How do you blame that on a lack of talent at the skill positions? These are probably the same people who thought Kellen Clemens was the next Brett Favre.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by halfsharkalligatorhalfman View Post
    If Geno Smith is the real deal, this is a playoff team next year.
    I didn't want to say something like that but you're absolutely right. The Jets WILL have a top 10 defense. If Mornhinweg can install an offense that utilizes Geno Smith, Chris Ivory, Holmes and Hill effectively to put up decent points then the Jets could very well sniff the 9-7 area.

Hall Of Fame
    Sanchez is gone. Just forget about him already. Idzik has no loyalty to him. Didn't pick him, didn't extend him.

Geno is Idzik's hand-picked QB. He is not going to let anyone stand in the way of his development or take reps away from him.

I kind of feel that Sanchez will be around all well. People's faith in Garrard is a bit shocking considering he's been out of the NFL for a season. To think that he would be that solid stepping in is a huge leap of faith.

Trading him now would help clear more cap space for next season, but at the same time it would eat away more cap space for this season, which might make things tough.

Quote Originally Posted by MagroCrag View Post
    I kind of feel that Sanchez will be around all well. People's faith in Garrard is a bit shocking considering he's been out of the NFL for a season. To think that he would be that solid stepping in is a huge leap of faith.
    If healthy, there is no way he could be any worse than Sanchez. I think people underestimate how bad Sanchez has been EVERY year for use. We won in 2009 and 2010 despite, not because of him. If we had average QB play in either of those seasons, we would have won 3-4 more games.

Like I said in an earlier post. The best dilemma that the Jets could have is to start Sanchez this year and have him light it up.

At that point, we'd need to figure out whether we wanted to keep him and sit on Smith or trade him and get no worse than a 2nd. Either way, it would be a win win for the Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Like a $4 mil cap hit and we need cap room to sign vet FA's to plug holes.
    Cutting him wouldnt negate the money we need to sign FA at this point if we even do. Anyone you sign means your cutting someone and we are not spending more then 2 mil on any one FA at this point. So your talking 1.5 mil at most for anyone we add. We will still have around 5 mil in cap space after signing the draft picks. After final cut figure 7-9 mil. If you cut Sanchez that is basically your carry over into next year so your not loosing just guaranteeing that happens. You'd still have 3-5 mil to play with that is plenty. Heck if you really want to stack the deck for next year cutting Sanchez and Tebow this year is the way to go.