Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about the Jets Picks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I may be an idiot, but that made absolutely no sense in relation to my previous comment.

We can't tell what quality is until we see how they play. The more players you pick, the more likely it is to find quality. And if you have a different judge of quality than they do, well you run the franchise then.
    First off, no one is calling anyone an idiot (at least not yet).

It made sense in the back and forth we've been having, but I'm not going to ask you to go back and re-read, nor am I going to quote. But in summation, you said that quantity is the order of the day, whereas myself and DDNY contended that quality could've been had for the taking, and as a bonus, at positions of need. You then argued that taking players at a position at any point equates to filling that need, regardless of talent. That's a circular argument.

I have a differing opinion. I'm sharing that in an appropriate fashion in the only venue available to me. Sorry if that is inconvenient for you.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    This is obviously my least favorite pick, I would have preferred a TE in the 2nd round. Almost all the skill positions are 7th round or lower. At least they upgraded the RB position.
    I would've liked them to trade down and stock pile picks instead... Idzik is going to have to learn how this draft thing worx, but for his first stabbing at it, he did pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic Bus View Post
    I would've liked them to trade down and stock pile picks instead... Idzik is going to have to learn how this draft thing worx, but for his first stabbing at it, he did pretty good
    I think he really tried to trade down, both times, there were just no takers. I would have preferred that scenario too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Do you just enjoy circular arguments or are you deliberately trying to be contentious? You know perfectly well there was absolutely no need for Idzik to sacrifice picks to select quality in this draft, that's what myself and DDNY have been saying all along. Yet here you come with this comment.
    The circular argument is your subjective definition of quality. You've certainly been watching the game long enough to know most "quality" players don't pan out like fans expect them to. How many times do we scream for someone in the 2nd round, and someone else grabs him in the 5th? Less than 10% of 4th round picks start for three or more years. Yet I'm sure 90% were considered "quality" and maybe even a STEAL when they got drafted.

I'm sure our FO feels they got quality at every pick, and for the most part draft charts agree. When someone you were pining for ends up lighting it up for another team, then this thread needs to be bumped. But for now you have no more right to define "quantity vs. quality" than anyone else does.

I personally would have went beserk if we went Eifert at 13, yet I know many people here were screaming for him. If I end up wrong, so be it. But for now I'm looking forward more to rooting for the next Warren Sapp than for the next Dustin Keller . . .

If we took Keenan Allen at 72, would have been an A+ for me. Don't 100% get the three OG picks, but I guess it's stockpiling. For the whole draft (RB Trade included) I give it a solid B/B+. I like the Zach Rogers UDFA pickup, guy could be a scrappy little playmaker at WR.

I think he really tried to trade down, both times, there were just no takers. I would have preferred that scenario too.
    Im sure he could of traded down, but he said they got 2 of their top 4 players in round one. Trading down would of meant passing on one of them and most likely settling for someone you had ranked lower.

We will have A LOT of picks next year, so I dont think he was desperate to trade down knowing that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Can Coples and Wilk play DE in the 4-3? Absolutely. But they would be out of position. And the standard isn't if they can play. We need a game changing pass rusher. Someone that teams have to change their schemes for. Someone you can pencil in for a dozen sacks. Neither of them will become that. We need to find that kind of player. It has been a while.

Again, I think Coples and Wilk are going to be good players for us. But they aren't going to scare anyone coming off the edges. They are better served going against Guards and pass rushing from the inside.
    Coples had basically 8 sacks (a couple face mask penalties that took away atleast 2 sacks)last year barely playing and he can't get 12? You are clueless.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

What if we got Austin at #9 and picked Geno in 2nd round? That would have been really cool to see and would have brought instant chemistry to this offense day 1. Oh well, fun to think about. Glad we got Dee, but would love to have had Austin there.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Coples had basically 8 sacks (a couple face mask penalties that took away atleast 2 sacks)last year barely playing and he can't get 12? You are clueless.

Great point

Here's what our roster will probably look like next season:

QB: Garrard/Smith, McElroy
    RB: Ivory, Powell/Goodson, McKnight
    FB: Hilliard/Bohannon
    WR: Holmes, Hill, Kerley, Gates, White
    TE: Cumberland, Reuland
    LT: Ferguson
    LG: Winters/Colon, Campbell
    C: Mangold
    RG: Winters/Colon, Campbell
    RT: Howard, Aboushi

RE: Coples, Garay
    DT: Richardson, Ellis
    LE: Wilkerson, Garay
    OLB: Pace, Barnes, McIntyre
    ILB: Harris, Davis, Mauga
    CB: Cro, Milliner, Wilson, Trufant, Lankster
    FS: Josh Bush/Antonio Allen
    SS: Dawan Landry

Not really sure what people who hated this draft are getting at looking at these changes, this team is ready to contend for the playoffs now. Would a safety or pass rusher have helped us out more? Hard to say, all the best pass rushers went before our pick and taking someone like Carradine or Cyprien over a potential franchise QB doesn't seem like smart business.
    Last edited by XingDaorong; 04-28-2013 at 02:19 AM.

I get what they're doing with Richardson, going to a full-time four man line, but I don't like it. I don't like Coples outside - he was better inside at UNC - and Wilkerson to me is better suited as a tackle as well. Who are the ends? Obviously Coples and then? Pace? Barnes? Wilkerson at 300lbs? Eh...

And did we really need two guards and a RT or three guards when we have such glaring holes at TE, FS, WR and OLB, whether its a 34 OLB or 43 OLB?

I don't know.

None of this matters if Geno Smith is a stud though.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    The circular argument is your subjective definition of quality. You've certainly been watching the game long enough to know most "quality" players don't pan out like fans expect them to. How many times do we scream for someone in the 2nd round, and someone else grabs him in the 5th? Less than 10% of 4th round picks start for three or more years. Yet I'm sure 90% were considered "quality" and maybe even a STEAL when they got drafted.

I'm sure our FO feels they got quality at every pick, and for the most part draft charts agree. When someone you were pining for ends up lighting it up for another team, then this thread needs to be bumped. But for now you have no more right to define "quantity vs. quality" than anyone else does.

I personally would have went beserk if we went Eifert at 13, yet I know many people here were screaming for him. If I end up wrong, so be it. But for now I'm looking forward more to rooting for the next Warren Sapp than for the next Dustin Keller . . .
    That's the thing though, I'm not going on my "subjective definition", I'm going on what was mostly considered to be consensus beliefs. Now, granted consensus isn't the end all and be all, but it is usually a pretty good barometer of things. What consensus told me was that the OG available to the Jets was very, very good and NFL ready immediately. Subjectively, as a football fan, I knew that was a position of need for the Jets. Consensus said that the TE available when the Jets selected at #13 was a very, very good player. Subjectively, I knew that also filled a position of need. The Jets decided to go in another direction. The illogical, circle argument is putting forth the belief that since the positions of need were at least addressed in some fashion in later rounds, all's well. That's silly and quite frankly I'm surprised that you would attempt to defend it.

My problems with the Smith selection mirror that same thought process. If consensus is that he is the top QB in a poor (key point) QB draft, and he is not only passed over by a QB hungry team, but also drops entirely out of the first round, I am understandably wary. Whether I should be wary of the consensus opinion or what I don't know behind the scenes is certainly up for debate.

Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post

LOL, yea. He's the clueless one.
    Last edited by Jetworks; 04-28-2013 at 12:22 PM.

The Jets had a very good draft. All picks should make the roster and a few should be strong contributors in the '13 season.

Strongly dislike the Revis trade; he's like having a Brady on defense. Every other defensive player is better because he is on the field. The Bucs had the best draft of any team - solely due to picking up Revis -.

There will be some one year rentals coming available in June. Expect the Jets will improve their offensive skill positions during the summer.

Overall you have to be pleased with this draft.

Well, since all the other 31 NFL teams drafted new players, it's how much better the Jets draft vs. their competition that matters. For example if it turns out the Jets drafted well this year, but the others in their division drafted better, we'd have actually lost ground. Odds are we'll need to draft "better" than the rest of the AFC East over a few years span to produce noticeable results.

All Pro
    I have a strong feeling that the Jets had Escobar, Vance McDonald, and Kelce high on their board and would have taken one of them in the third round, if they had been there. The Cowboys reached for Escobar in Round 2, The 49ers traded up to get MacDonald in Round 2, and Kelce went as the first pick in Round 3. I think the Jets were left with no option but to move to another position rated highly on their board. The two positions I feel were unaddressed for the most part in this draft that were high needs were WR and TE. (I'm more comfortable with our safety situation as is).

We probably got 5 starters out of this draft(including Ivory), plus some much needed depth. This is how you build a good team. Think Idzik did pretty well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Good draft. Best in years.

No reaches. Yah. Even the Geno pick wasn't a "reach".

Good value for our positions. That's all thy matters at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    I have a strong feeling that the Jets had Escobar, Vance McDonald, and Kelce high on their board and would have taken one of them in the third round, if they had been there. The Cowboys reached for Escobar in Round 2, The 49ers traded up to get MacDonald in Round 2, and Kelce went as the first pick in Round 3. I think the Jets were left with no option but to move to another position rated highly on their board. The two positions I feel were unaddressed for the most part in this draft that were high needs were WR and TE. (I'm more comfortable with our safety situation as is).
    They could have had any one of those three guys if they hadn't taken Smith and I feel it would have been a better use of the pick.
    Thought the conversion project at 6 was a little weird given that there seemed to be better players available also at dire needs but otherwise very good

All Pro
    They could have had any one of those three guys if they hadn't taken Smith and I feel it would have been a better use of the pick.
    Thought the conversion project at 6 was a little weird given that there seemed to be better players available also at dire needs but otherwise very good
    I think Escobar taken in the second was a serious reach for the Cowboys. You can't counter that kind of stupidity by wasting your own second round pick. Then the 49ers, who were flush with picks, jumped as well. You can't predict those things, and the Jets would never have taken Escobar in the high second - or MacDonald -- those were luxury picks. I think the Jets just got hoisted by over reaching of other teams. They could have taken a WR a bit later however (in the 5th). Must not have felt the value was there.