Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Veteran Free Agent Targets

All Pro
    Laurent Robinson still out there dude was a hot commodity last year.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    RB's will be a much bigger asset in the passing offense this year

The WCO emphasizes the RB position, it's one of the reasons the Jets made big moves at RB this off-season with Goodson and Ivory, in addition to Powell, and moving on from Greene.

One player I could see the team bringing back if he passes his physical is Josh Baker, a quality pass receiving FB/TE/HB to perform in the same role.

People complaining about TE's forget that the Jets have 3 solid young players that the team is still high on, Cumberland battled some injuries and was coming off of an achillies injury last year from the year before, but there is sentiment IMO that Cumberland makes another jump in his development, remember he was a converted WR who will be a weapon at TE because of his speed and receiving ability.

Add Rueland as a blocking TE, who can do some receiving, also a prospect who was a very solid player last year.

Another player to keep an eye on is Hayden Smith, he really made a jump towards the end of the year last year, and he has some upside and could be a player the team may be happy with his progress to the point they consider him also a prospect to compete at the TE position, and perhaps better than some of the talent they did pass on in the draft, at least after Ertz was taken in the 2nd.

Jets also have some young WR's they are excited about, Gates is a player to keep an eye on IMO as a prospect and a player who could make a jump this year.

Other players signed Joe Collins and Emanuel Arceneaux have some ability

My point is, the Jets have some developmental players on the roster that have to be factored as to why the Jets made some of their draft decisions this year. It's quite probable they like some of these players already on the roster over the players available in the draft.
    Your last line is directly on point. Relative value of draft prospects to what the team already has, based on their own evaluation, is always in play. That's why I find it amusing when some bloke on a fan forum or in the media says, "Richardson isn't a fit for the Jets 3-4." As if Rex is hand-cuffed to use the 3-4 and never deviate, or for that matter, isn't able to judge what will work on his defense. The wildly stupid arrogance of fans and media types is amazing. Yeah, we really know better than Rex how someone is going to fit into his defense. Or Mohrnenweg, on his offense. It's laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    Laurent Robinson still out there dude was a hot commodity last year.
    Serious concussion history i believe

Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post
    Titus Young - Braylon - Collie - Breaston - Ocho Cinco - Laurent Robinson - Randy Moss

Winslow - Boss - Shiancoe - Clark
    I'd take Collie, Laurent Robinson, and Clark. Stay far away from Winslow and Titus.

If Tanny never signed Ocho or Moss, I doubt Idzik will. Those two guys need to pack it in anyway.

Some of you have an unhealthy obsession with Braylon but remember John Idzik was the last man to release him.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by vinit View Post
    Kerley = Explosive return potential, but a fumble risk
    Guy just set the record for most fair catches. I think explosive is a stretch.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Your last line is directly on point. Relative value of draft prospects to what the team already has, based on their own evaluation, is always in play. That's why I find it amusing when some bloke on a fan forum or in the media says, "Richardson isn't a fit for the Jets 3-4." As if Rex is hand-cuffed to use the 3-4 and never deviate, or for that matter, isn't able to judge what will work on his defense. The wildly stupid arrogance of fans and media types is amazing. Yeah, we really know better than Rex how someone is going to fit into his defense. Or Mohrnenweg, on his offense. It's laughable.
    + 1

Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    what's Brandon Moore's deal?
    Don't know. Peterman sucks Idzik cannot be serious about him starting. Moore would only cost us a one year deal in the range of $3 mil. WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Wouldn't mind seeing Kevin Boss brought in, although what has he done the past two seasons?
    Boss can be a solid blocking TE for us - which we need badly.

Signing Bray to a 1 year deal is about as obvious as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    I'd take Collie, Laurent Robinson, and Clark. Stay far away from Winslow and Titus.

If Tanny never signed Ocho or Moss, I doubt Idzik will. Those two guys need to pack it in anyway.

Some of you have an unhealthy obsession with Braylon but remember John Idzik was the last man to release him.
    I think moss was somewhat productive last year with the niners...can't be worse than Clyde gates

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Boss can be a solid blocking TE for us - which we need badly.

Signing Bray to a 1 year deal is about as obvious as it gets.
    Idzik was part of the front office who cut Braylon in Seattle. With no Sanchez at QB either I highly doubt we see him back again.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Happily Idzik has not shown any indication he will bring any of the over the hill sack-o-$h*t gang in

All League
    After our draft, we still have a few missing pieces at WR, PR, and TE.

Here is who I would target:

TE: Kevin Boss
    WR: Brandon Lloyd or Braylon
    PR: Josh Cribbs - We still dont have anyone on the roster that can return punts. He would add a dynamic option to the return game, although medical an issue.
    Comments?
    I would love a Boss signing. I would prefer Braylon over Lloyd because he's a bit more physical on the run blocking. No for Josh Cribbs unless it's strictly for PR, don't like him at WR.

After our draft, we still have a few missing pieces at WR, PR, and TE.

Here is who I would target:

TE: Kevin Boss
    WR: Brandon Lloyd or Braylon
    PR: Josh Cribbs - We still dont have anyone on the roster that can return punts. He would add a dynamic option to the return game, although medical an issue.

Comments?
    I don't see the Jets going after any TE's. Big year for Cumberland and Hayden Smith. Cumberland is a college WR who ran a 4.47 when he came out. This is his chance to shine. Hayden Smith has a real chance because of his size and skillset. I like the idea of giving these young TE's a shot. Boss is not a bad veteran fallback if his health checks out, He's had concussion issues. I don't know if John Idzik would take a chance on Kellen Winslow Jr, who was in Seattle.

As for WR, I wouldn't be opposed to Brandon Lloyd. He really should still have a job in the league. I have always been a fan of Braylon Edwards but he'd be #4 in the pecking order if Holmes is healthy and Hill develops. Jets need veteran insurance for Holmes so a vet should be brought in to training camp.

Cribbs is going to be in Arizona once his medical checks out.

I am interested to see what the Jets do at safety. Please don't bring Eric Smith back. The Jets have some interesting young players in Jacqwuan Jarrett, Antonio Allen and Josh Bush but they could use another veteran.

If the Jets were truly going to a 4-3. Then they would need a legitimate right defensive end. I don't see the Jets in the Freeney or dare I say it, John Abraham market.

Wonder if Rex brings his buddy Bart Scott back as veteran insurance at inside backer. The problem with veteran backups is that they don't play special teams. They take up a roster spot.