Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Why Sheldon Richardson over Shariff Floyd?

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    12,185
    Post Thanks / Like

    Why Sheldon Richardson over Shariff Floyd?

    Both really 4-3 3 technique DT's...Floyd was rated higher...I'm excited for Sheldon, he's a beast, but......

    Just asking?

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,532
    Post Thanks / Like
    because he is flat out better.....I got to at least 4 Gator home games a year...Floyd is nice but Richardson is strong and faster....with longer arms.



    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Both really 4-3 3 technique DT's...Floyd was rated higher...I'm excited for Sheldon, he's a beast, but......

    Just asking?

  3. #3
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    737
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because he projects as the best pass rushing lineman in this draft. He is far more explosive and disruptive than Floyd or Star.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,911
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watch the tape. He's a better prospect than Floyd and does not have a career threatening heart condition like Star.

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,956
    Post Thanks / Like
    More than a few scouts thought that Floyd was a late first round talent at best - and his post-combine rocket up the media's draft boards was just a result of media hype (driven in large by Greg Cosell).

    One big knock was his short arms - which was a similar negative last year for Melvin Ingram. I usually don't pay much attention to comments on body type - but in the case of DTs and DEs it seems to make a difference.

    Here's one quote from the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel:

    Two separate NFL scouts say Florida DT Sharrif Floyd is overrated, with one going so far as to call Floyd a media creation.
    It's worth noting Floyd had only 4.5 sacks in three college seasons. He's been touted hard by Greg Cosell, Mike Mayock, and Daniel Jeremiah, among others. "Those idiots on TV made Floyd," said one scout. "He's not that good. He's not better than Ziggy Hood." Asked if the Warren Sapp comparisons are valid, another scout replied "No. There's none of that. (Sapp) was just was more gifted than Floyd. Floyd is a good effort player. He's got shorter arms than (Sheldon) Richardson, and I think it shows. He gets kind of Velcroed on blockers."

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,532
    Post Thanks / Like
    that pretty much sums it up....many had said that when Missouri went to the SEC in 2012 Richardson was going to come back down to earth....he actually even played better....had a great game vs my Gators....a game my boys barely won.



    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Because he projects as the best pass rushing lineman in this draft. He is far more explosive and disruptive than Floyd or Star.

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    that pretty much sums it up....many had said that when Missouri went to the SEC in 2012 Richardson was going to come back down to earth....he actually even played better....had a great game vs my Gators....a game my boys barely won.
    Great work on the Dee and Richardson pick, you made me really excited to see Sheldon. Our defenses going to be sick this year. Our future is bright.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,532
    Post Thanks / Like
    people really need to take a look at the defense and the fact that ryan will focus on that end of the ball while MM does his thing on O......this talk of the Jets winning 3 games is beyond absurd...this team ALREADY is better than last years..we have to include a better O line and Ivory and goodson and powell..McKnight...I'm not into predictions in April but I'll predict that they will not be the AFC East door mat.



    Quote Originally Posted by mavericknyc1980 View Post
    Great work on the Dee and Richardson pick, you made me really excited to see Sheldon. Our defenses going to be sick this year. Our future is bright.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting that Floyd didnt test on Bench at the combine and Richardson did an impressive 30 reps. Floyd must be a weakling if he refused to bench at all.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,994
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    people really need to take a look at the defense and the fact that ryan will focus on that end of the ball while MM does his thing on O......this talk of the Jets winning 3 games is beyond absurd...this team ALREADY is better than last years..we have to include a better O line and Ivory and goodson and powell..McKnight...I'm not into predictions in April but I'll predict that they will not be the AFC East door mat.
    Lot of people going to be surprised this year! J-E-T-S!! JETS!! JETS!! JETS!!

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Both really 4-3 3 technique DT's...Floyd was rated higher...I'm excited for Sheldon, he's a beast, but......

    Just asking?
    Ask the talent staff for the NYJ. Obviously, they think they know more than you do.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    6,457
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah now you know why teams have their own scouts, instead of just becoming ESPN insiders. Watching the film I think Floyd would be a beast if he could learn to stay down, but that's one of those things that may just be instinctual. I'm sure he's been coached to stay low, but he always seems get up too high, and then get pushed around. Richardson just is a natural freak of an athlete. He could probably play MLB, or FB. The guy returned punts at 275lbs in H.S.

  13. #13
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    893
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is one kid I am really excited to see added to our defensive line mix. If he is as advertised, with what is there already, this defense could keep us in a lot of games this year.

  14. #14
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,656
    Post Thanks / Like
    the ten picks in between them isn't an indication of the NFL's thoughts?

  15. #15
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    18,657
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Both really 4-3 3 technique DT's...Floyd was rated higher...I'm excited for Sheldon, he's a beast, but......

    Just asking?
    I guess the question is....rated higher by whom? I'd be interested to see what a consensus of teams had as their board, as it relates to Dlineman.

    I don't follow the scouting area as much as others but I certainly heard more about Star and Sharrif for most of the pre-draft period. But, I feel like Richardson was a hot name just prior to the draft. Perhaps the Jets had him as one of their top 5 (assuming that was in fact the case) from the beginning.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not a scout, but what I have read is that Richardson is projected to be versatile and be better at playing the run and equal as a pass rusher while Floyd is considered to more of a one dimensional pass only guy

    But the point made by the draft itself is the real point -- not what some amateur draftniks said. Richardson got drafted at 13... there was no rush to draft Floyd at 14 and he lasted into the 20s which pretty much answers the question as far as what real NFL talent evaluators think

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mtns. of Virginia
    Posts
    2,789
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    I'm not a scout, but what I have read is that Richardson is projected to be versatile and be better at playing the run and equal as a pass rusher while Floyd is considered to more of a one dimensional pass only guy

    But the point made by the draft itself is the real point -- not what some amateur draftniks said. Richardson got drafted at 13... there was no rush to draft Floyd at 14 and he lasted into the 20s which pretty much answers the question as far as what real NFL talent evaluators think
    part of your point is significant, part of it means little, IMO.

    the point that Floyd lasted into the 20's says a lot. the fact that so many teams passed over him earlier, and that a number of others that could have traded up to grab him also declined to do so, speaks volumes...it tells us that the majority of scouting departments in the NFL do not see him as a top 10 or top 15 prospect.

    however, pointing out that Richardson was drafted at 13 means less, IMO. All we really KNOW from that is that ONE team (the Jets, in this case) had him ranked higher than Floyd, and in the top 15. we don't know if others did, we don't if the majority of the NFL viewed him as a better prospect than Floyd. We only know the Jets did. remains to be seen if they were right.

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,025
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    the ten picks in between them isn't an indication of the NFL's thoughts?
    This.

    Even if you want to argue that the teams between us and Minnesota didn't need a DT, why wouldn't a team trade up to get him?

    Odds are the reason why he fell was because NFL scouts weren't as high on him as Kiper/Mcshay/Cosell.

  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mtns. of Virginia
    Posts
    2,789
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    the ten picks in between them isn't an indication of the NFL's thoughts?
    again...no, it doesn't really tell us much about how the NFL viewed the two players in comparison to each other. Floyd's draft position tells us a lot about the NFL consensus regarding whether he should have been drafted higher. But Richardson's draft position tells us little about the NFL consensus regarding whether he should have been drafted lower.

    all we know about the comparison of the two players is that the Jets saw Richardson as the better prospect.

  20. #20
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    209
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Both really 4-3 3 technique DT's...Floyd was rated higher...I'm excited for Sheldon, he's a beast, but......

    Just asking?
    richardson can be used in 5 positions think adalius thomas of the ravens only bigger and not quite as fast if there right he will be the steal of the draft

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us