Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Reasons Geno Will Start Day 1

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    reason no 1 to sit geno: he's a punk. end of story. could be the reason why he will fail too.
    why do you sit a punk?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ADemas View Post
    besides the idiotic coaches on offense, the main culprit to mishandling was providing him the worst Oline in the NFL. So now that you have something and a legitimate backfield with a great O coordinator, youre going to ruin another QBs career by throwing someone who is not more prepared than Aaron rodgers was (5 year backup) and not even as prepared as Capernick was (one year backcup). And why, because JI people have the worst football IQ, not just in football but want to see whats thrilling for them because they need to release their ballbag NOW, not in ten minutes.

NO THANX. AND STOP POSTING until you have something inteligent to say.
    UMMMMMM THIS 100%

Sorry I didn't see your wise post before I posted.

All League
    It's a brand new OC, offense, and playbook.

Our entire fleet of QBs will be learning anew. Whoever responds the best should start.

Missing pieces on offense can be acquired later when teams trim their rosters.

Jets Insider VIP
    reason no 1 to sit geno: he's a punk. end of story. could be the reason why he will fail too.
    Please elaborate on why you think that he is a "punk".

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Mark was not ruined by playing him too quickly. He was ruined because REX catered to his every whim and gave him the job with no competition! In the NFL today rookie QBs play! See: Russel Wilson; Cam Newton, and the beat goes on.

In the MM WCO, Geno is much more suited to be the starter then Sanchez. Look at Geno's completion percentage last year. That WVa offense is very fast paced. MM's WCO will slow down the game for Geno. Sanchez has trouble with his pocket presence: Geno doesn't.
    Colin Kapernick didn't start till mid way through his second season. So there's no rule about starting a rookie / sitting a rookie.

All I want to see is a genuine competition in camp, and the best player starts. If that's Geno, I'm fine with that. If that's Mark, I'm fine with that too.

Idzik has said all off-season, there will be competition at all positions - QB should be no exception. Milliner & Richardson will not start unless they earn it - same must hold for QB.

If Geno gets the start because of his draft position, rather than ability, that can create resentment from the guys who DID have to earn their spots, and even the backups that weren't able to. Resentment towards your QB = disaster in the making. Making him earn it, on the other hand, can create a good cohesion / trust / team spirit, which our O has been sorely lacking these past two years.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    good points made but he does not have to start day one.....the sit for a year philosophy is a thing of the past but its not a must that geno starts game one....the jets can keep sanchez for one more year before unloading him.....garrard may just be healthy enough to tutor geno...jets have options...tebow will be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    10. He is the most talented QB on the roster.

9. He was almost drafted at pick 13, Geno said Jets were talking to his agent.

8. He was the consensus #1 QB in the draft, and most thought only franchise QB potential player in the draft

7. First and second round QB draft picks PLAY FIRST YEAR. The sit for a year philosophy is pretty much a relic of the past unless you go to a team with a franchise QB already like Rodgers did.

6. He is more versatile than any QB on the Jets and can allow the Jets to incorporate pistol and read option elements to the offense

5. Listening to MM press conference, Geno is his guy. I think MM has autonomy on offense and it makes sense to give him a QB that can realize his vision

4. They drafted him. Drafting a first round QB is a very unusual move for a rebuilding team with a lame duck HC. Two possibilities: First, Rex gets a personal reset button with a new QB, and, second, MM is actually our next head coach in waiting

3. Jimmy Clausen history lesson. He started as a rookie, sucked, and Carolina was able to get Cam the next year. Playing Geno and seeing what we have does not prevent a high QB pick next year, but not playing him makes it difficult since you don't know what you have in Geno

2. He cannot possibly play worse than Sanchez last year. By any objective measure Sanchez was actually around the 34th or 35th best QB in the NFL meaning he was worse than all the starters and a handful of backups.

1. The Jets franchise needs a new face. And needs to sell merchandise. Revis is gone, and Sanchez is reviled. They need a new poster child for the team and that is Geno

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Agree

Garrard starts
    McElroy backup
    Smith learns

TTM inactive scout team QB in practice

Teblow useless and waived
    McElroy is not going to be the backup. He might not even be on the team.

He proved last year that he is not an NFL player and he should be cut immediately in favor of another QB who actually has the physical ability to play with the big boys.

Smith, if he doesn't win the starting job, will be the #2. I say he's starting by week 7 at the latest.

Hall Of Fame
    sanchez had too many different oc's....you were not saying that in 2009-10.....even during those years I never viewed sanchez as a franchise qb....geno started 4 years in college and that means something....samchez was just not that good....the lack of talent also did not help on 2011-12.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    NO. That's how Mark was ruined.

Hall Of Fame
    how can you tell if he's NOT ready and we have not even started OTA'S LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    The one difference he'd have going in his favor is he wouldn't be expected to bring a Super Bowl trophy to the NY Jets as a rookie QB, a ridiculous amount of pressure and unrealistic expectation. He'd be allowed to fail since no one has any expectations of the Jets this year, just like Eli was developed. Even so, by no means does he look ready.

Hall Of Fame
    If garrard starts I agree

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I agree but letting Geno sit a year or so is not the worst thing I can think of.

Hall Of Fame
    um Buzz...Goodson is outstanding out of the backfield

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Even without discussing our receivers, we don't have any runningbacks that are good receivers out of the backfield and we have nothing at tight end. All Qbs need "safety valves" at those positions, players you can dump off to when pressure is coming and/or your receivers are covered. Even more important for a rookie QB. Geno could be ruined being put into a situation like that.

Gotta be patient and let him sit and hold the clipboard for while, that's what's best for him and the organization

No dynamic skill (WR, RB, TE) players last year, none taken in the draft. Whoever starts is a Christian being thrown to the lions.

Hall Of Fame
    then that sounds like Garrard

Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    It's a brand new OC, offense, and playbook.

Our entire fleet of QBs will be learning anew. Whoever responds the best should start.

Missing pieces on offense can be acquired later when teams trim their rosters.

Hall Of Fame
    i truly doubt that this is the mindset of the current regime...if that was the case then Sanchezz would have been named the starter due to his contract....I firmly beleive it will be a fair competition with Garrard winning the job.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Colin Kapernick didn't start till mid way through his second season. So there's no rule about starting a rookie / sitting a rookie.

All I want to see is a genuine competition in camp, and the best player starts. If that's Geno, I'm fine with that. If that's Mark, I'm fine with that too.

Idzik has said all off-season, there will be competition at all positions - QB should be no exception. Milliner & Richardson will not start unless they earn it - same must hold for QB.

If Geno gets the start because of his draft position, rather than ability, that can create resentment from the guys who DID have to earn their spots, and even the backups that weren't able to. Resentment towards your QB = disaster in the making. Making him earn it, on the other hand, can create a good cohesion / trust / team spirit, which our O has been sorely lacking these past two years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    i truly doubt that this is the mindset of the current regime...if that was the case then Sanchezz would have been named the starter due to his contract....I firmly beleive it will be a fair competition with Garrard winning the job.
    You are 100% correct. People are so used to Tanny's mechcanations that when people like Idzak gives you their word they get confused and flummoxed.

Sanchez has a chance to start it is just IMO that he is severely damaged for a number of reasons and that it maybe to much for him to turn it around in NYC.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by rajensen088 View Post
    No dynamic skill (WR, RB, TE) players last year, none taken in the draft. Whoever starts is a Christian being thrown to the lions.
    There's a reason Sanchez will not be cut and it's not just his contract.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 04-28-2013 at 10:32 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    how can you tell if he's NOT ready and we have not even started OTA'S LOL
    I can't tell he's not ready, just don't think he looks as if he is. He looks very raw and unpolished.

All Pro
    I didn't watch much of him because I never expected him to be there in the 2nd. Now that I have he seems to have just enough punk in him to fire up the team. If by punk you mean he gets pissed off when things don't go well. Idk about any of the rest of you, but I've seen enough of passive, we'll get them next time QBs around here. You can go right back through Sanchez, Pennington, Vinnie(sorry VTs Niece), Esiason, back to Kenny O'. They could all have used a little "punkess". I would have loved to see one of those guys throw his helmet in disgust. Maybe yell at a receiver, or even talk back to the coaches just once.

Geno seems well spoken, passionate, and pretty damn smart. He may not have the presence of EJ manuel, but he seems more like he's thinking all the time. Seems a little obsessive, but that's not a bad trait for a QB. He ran a lot of plays in that offense of his, and made a lot of quick decisions. Almost always the right ones. He did have too many fumbles, but that crazy offense, and 100 plays a game, make that seem more reasonable. Great value at 39. Our offensive talent is underrated due to ineptitude at OC, and QB. Not to mention the lack of talent at RB, which has been rectified. I sure hope a TE emerges. We'll see what happens, but this season just got a whole lot more interesting.

If I'd have to guess I'd say he starts after the bye.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Please elaborate on why you think that he is a "punk".
    don't encourage him.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by MadCroatian View Post
    This is not a bad site. They even have some write ups on all the AFC east UDFAs. How come the trolls never told us about this?