Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: We have the worst receiving corps in the NFL.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post
    If your building the foundation first, you're not drafting a QB at 36. I love Geno, but their handcuffing him without any weapons. They need someone who can create something out of nothing. Someone who can bail Geno out. That's why I would've went Eifert at 13. Keenan or Patton at 73. Swope, Rogers in the 5th.
    You build the foundation by the solidifying the O & D-lines, that's where it all starts and thats what Idzik did.

Milliner & Smith were the best players available on the Jets board when they fell into our lap and that's really the only places in the draft where the Jets strayed away from solidifying the Lines.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 04-27-2013 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    Anyone arguing with K-Ro that our recievers aren't the worst in the NFL is fighting a losing battle.

They stink, but so what K-Ro? You can't fill every need on this team- and we are rebuilding from the ground up. You're assuming they throw Geno out there day 1, let's see if that happens....even if it does, he should be protected well with all the meat we have up front.
    I can see your point. I would've liked us to pickup someone in the mid rounds to form a relationship/chemistry with Geno.

Instead of Winters I would've went Allen or Patton.

Or maybe instead of Oday, I would've went with Swope.

Jets Insider VIP
    If your building the foundation first, you're not drafting a QB at 36. I love Geno, but their handcuffing him without any weapons. They need someone who can create something out of nothing. Someone who can bail Geno out. That's why I would've went Eifert at 13. Keenan or Patton at 73. Swope, Rogers in the 5th.
    I honestly don't think Geno is starting this year. At least not for the first 8-10 weeks.

I think we'll go with Garrard for at least half the season and if he stumbles dramatically, then we'll toss in Geno and see what he has.

And even if we do start Geno, at least he has a potentially dynamic running game to fall back on.

Hell, Bohanon is probably my favorite pick of the draft. Had him as our 7th round pick in damn near every one of my mocks. Damn good lead blocker and excellent receiver out of the backfield. Could potentially line him up at TE as well. Could end up paying dividends as an unheralded player.

We finally have not one, but two RB's that can take it the distance at any given time.

This was a meat and potatoes draft and we went where the value was. So like I said, I can't complain.

Yeah, but the Pats have the best TE corps in the NFL, potentially all time. You can't take that out lol.

And Amendola > Holmes.
    Why can't I? Technically a "receiving" corps should only have players labeled as a "receiver" in the category.

Hey, just returning the snooty douchiness...

And by the way, Holmes has a ring. That ends the comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I honestly don't think Geno is starting this year. At least not for the first 8-10 weeks.

I think we'll go with Garrard for at least half the season and if he stumbles dramatically, then we'll toss in Geno and see what he has.

And even if we do start Geno, at least he has a potentially dynamic running game to fall back on.

Hell, Bohanon is probably my favorite pick of the draft. Had him as our 7th round pick in damn near every one of my mocks. Damn good lead blocker and excellent receiver out of the backfield. Could potentially line him up at TE as well. Could end up paying dividends as an unheralded player.

We finally have not one, but two RB's that can take it the distance at any given time.

This was a meat and potatoes draft and we went where the value was. So like I said, I can't complain.
    Look, I really like Ivory, but our HB situation as of now, still is pretty mediocre. Neither are proven commodities.

FB is a dying breed. I believe Geno will win the job around week 6.

I just feel that we're handcuffing him. We have the least amount of playmakers in football.

Jets are the only team in football to not have a pro bowl player at a skill position in 4 years. That says something, and I'll be hard pressed to say this is the year we'll have one. Maybe Ivory breaks out, I don't know.
    I like the Ivory pick up - a lot. That said, odds of an Ivory pro-bowl this season is about that of a Jets Superbowl appearance.

All League
    Tell me what elite ability Kerley has? Very very good player, nice guy to have on your team. Not elite. Cruz, Harvin Cobb Welker are insanely twitchy. Kerley really doesn't have that.
    IF Welker or Cruz had Buttfumble, Teblow and McElnoodle throwing them the ball (and Sparano and Schitty organizing things), I am 100% confident that we would not see them as "elite."

I think Kerley will thrive in a WCO and will probably be the only above-average skill position player on the Jets offense in 2013.

Because Hill has enormous physical gifts, we have some hope. If you look at statistics, most "good" WR's don't start to thrive until year 2. #hope

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Why can't I? Technically a "receiving" corps should only have players labeled as a "receiver" in the category.

Hey, just returning the snooty douchiness...

And by the way, Holmes has a ring. That ends the comparison.

That's a prettyyyy bad argument lol. David Tyree has a ring. So does David Reed.

And no, a receiving corps are ball catchers. Gronk, Hernandez are part of a receiving corps. Flawed argument to say the least.

That's a prettyyyy bad argument lol. David Tyree has a ring. So does David Reed.

And no, a receiving corps are ball catchers. Gronk, Hernandez are part of a receiving corps. Flawed argument to say the least.
    Flawed, yes, but technically correct. By the way, let's wait and see how healthy those two start the season before we sing their praises.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Flawed, yes, but technically correct. By the way, let's wait and see how healthy those two start the season before we sing their praises.
    No. Not technically. Give me Gronk and Hernandez, and this discussion wouldn't exist. 2 top 5 Receiving TE's in football. Hernandez is essentially a WR, and Gronk is the best TE in football. Those are 2 lethal weapons, whom revolutionized the game.

Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    Anyone arguing with K-Ro that our recievers aren't the worst in the NFL is fighting a losing battle.

They stink, but so what K-Ro? You can't fill every need on this team- and we are rebuilding from the ground up. You're assuming they throw Geno out there day 1, let's see if that happens....even if it does, he should be protected well with all the meat we have up front.
    This.

The real debate is did you like the route of building up the line and taking a QB and get weapons next year or not. Arguing who is worse the Raiders or Jets is pointless. Both of our WRs suck

Did you ever think that having the WORST QB in the league may have JUST a little bit to do with our receivers "sucking" so bad???

BTW- I seem to recall our "horrible receivers" getting open PRETTY often!
    Last edited by Hitman Harris; 04-27-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Name me one team with worse weapons than us. Honestly.
    So that would mean we suck.

I never said we suck, I just said we need playmakers for Geno.
    No, you said we suck.

Jets are the only team in football to not have a pro bowl player at a skill position in 4 years. That says something, and I'll be hard pressed to say this is the year we'll have one. Maybe Ivory breaks out, I don't know.
    So we suck.

LOL. Because you're a draft fanatic right? Cyprien will be the best Safety in this draft, and Austin will be a plamaker for years to come. One of Mingo/Jordan will pan out.
    And a guy in the 4th round will turn out to be a steal, you're really going out on a limb aren't you?

Look, I really like Ivory, but our HB situation as of now, still is pretty mediocre. Neither are proven commodities.

I just feel that we're handcuffing him. We have the least amount of playmakers in football.
    You like him but we're mediocre, but we don't suck, or do we?

So again, we suck.

Jets Insider VIP

They may be somewhat unproven commodities, but I feel a helluva lot better about Ivory/Goodson than I would with Greene/Powell.

At least with Ivory and Goodson, you know that 98% of our runs won't end with 2 yards and a cloud of dust. To me, it's an upgrade any way you want to slice it.

And in the up-tempo offenses like they use in New England, New Orleans, Washington, etc the FB might be a dying breed, but not in the WCO. Look at the Mornhinweg offenses from the past. The FB was always heavily utilized. Hell, look at John Kuhn in Green Bay. Bohanon can be a very effective player in this system.

I would absolutely agree that we need some playmakers on offense, but IMO, the value simply wasn't there in this draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Re-sign Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes sits til he is 100%

Hill rounds into form year 2.

Edwards, Holmes, Kerley, Hill and maybe Jordan White or whoever the 5th WR will be.

Sign Braylon Edwards and we have a decent WR corps once Holmes is healthy.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Did you ever think that having the WORST QB in the league may have JUST a little bit to do with our receivers "sucking" so bad???
    Yes, but if you have a bad QB, you don't make him better by getting rid of his favorite targets and replacing them with UDFA's, a guy fresh out of prison, and a guy from a wishbone offense.

Holmes is done, our TE is horrific, Hill is raw, Kerley is OK. Everyone else is a hope and a prayer.

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Re-sign Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes sits til he is 100%

Hill rounds into form year 2.

Edwards, Holmes, Kerley, Hill and maybe Jordan White or whoever the 5th WR will be.

Sign Braylon Edwards and we have a decent WR corps once Holmes is healthy.
    What has Edwards shown as of late for you to say this?? And assuming Hill will magically be better just because its year 2 is foolish he had a bad rookie year.. And Jordan white has never done anything

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Life View Post
    What has Edwards shown as of late for you to say this?? And assuming Hill will magically be better just because its year 2 is foolish he had a bad rookie year.. And Jordan white has never done anything
    I thought Edwards looked decent when he came back towards the tail end of last year.

It's foolish to think Hill won't improve in year 2, most 2nd year players do. Hill has talent, this is not David Clowney we are talking about.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 04-27-2013 at 09:44 PM.

All Pro

Calm down. There is no plan to do well this year so they don't need good playmaking skill positions yet. They will let Sanchez or Garrard fail with no weapons to throw to, up through the brutal schedule at least through Week 9 when playoffs and even a winning record are out of the question, then they might let Smith play the last few weeks to give him some starting experience. They will have a really high pick as a result and will be able to draft the next QB if nec or Clowney and have the cap space to sign some high power skill guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Life View Post
    Actually Edwards played very well when he was with us both times.