Thread: Keep an eye on UDFA Troy Davis from UCF...

Keep an eye on UDFA Troy Davis from UCF...

His numbers are very good, 18.5 career sacks, 8 of those coming this year in only 9 games. Ran a 4.65 at his pro day with 24 reps, 4.14 short shuttle.

He goes 6.2 251, played DE but I see him more as a OLB, look at those shuttle numbers... Can't believe this guy went undrafted. He also added 4 PBU's and 3 FF's to go with an INT, definately active. Good get especially this year that we need some young talent at OLB, can he play there? I don't know that part, he's a hybrid that's for sure and that's why he went undrafted. Can coaching allow him to move in space and cover TE's? His numbers seem to indicate he can. I will find out more about him.

Yeah, tell us more man.

Jets Insider VIP
    Has to be a reason he was passed on 254 times this weekend.

You don't have to open the damn thread if it doesn't interest you, not rare that the ones that never post anything of value and litter the board with crap, cringe whenever there's a serious football article. ****ing wise guys.

Davis had a 3 cone drill one tenth of a second slower than Dion Jordan at 7.03, Jordan's was 7.02. Only Mingo's was faster among DE/OLB's at 6.82. That's amazing when you realize that typically only receivers post those kind of numbers, this tells me Davis is fast and nimble enough to bend and turn that corner.

And for your information, many quality players go undrafted every year, too many to even mention.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    You don't have to open the damn thread if it doesn't interest you, not rare that the ones that never post anything of value and litter the board with crap, cringe whenever there's a serious football article. ****ing wise guys.

Davis had a 3 cone drill one tenth of a second slower than Dion Jordan at 7.03, Jordan's was 7.02. Only Mingo's was faster among DE/OLB's at 6.82. That's amazing when you realize that typically only receivers post those kind of numbers, this tells me Davis is fast and nimble enough to bend and turn that corner.

And for your information, many quality players go undrafted every year, too many to even mention.
    I'm not sure if this was a reply to me. I hope not. My comment was a serious one. If this guy is such an up-and-comer with great measurables, recording about 1 sack every game then why do you think he wasn't taken by someone in the 6th or 7th? I don't know the guy at all....is there an off-field issue, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I'm not sure if this was a reply to me. I hope not. My comment was a serious one. If this guy is such an up-and-comer with great measurables, recording about 1 sack every game then why do you think he wasn't taken by someone in the 6th or 7th? I don't know the guy at all....is there an off-field issue, etc?

Apologize, maybe I jumped the gun a bit, it seems like serious posts here get dumped on right away.

No, I think it's more a product of coming from a small school with a low level of competition although UCF is starting to schedule big schools. Their strength program is impressive, state of the art. He's a bit of a tweener too, not quite big enough to be an every down DE at a tad under 6.2 251 pounds and unproven at as an OLB, although, he had 74 tackles, 4 PBU's, 3 FF's and an INT returned for 29 yards. When you combine the fact that he seemed to be active in coverage and his workout numbers you get the picture that this guy will probably not have a problem transitioning to OLB.

He was thought to be a 6-7th rounder but players like him drop all the time, there was just too much of a glut of OLB's and DE's this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Apologize, maybe I jumped the gun a bit, it seems like serious posts here get dumped on right away.

No, I think it's more a product of coming from a small school with a low level of competition although UCF is starting to schedule big schools. Their strength program is impressive, state of the art. He's a bit of a tweener too, not quite big enough to be an every down DE at a tad under 6.2 251 pounds and unproven at as an OLB, although, he had 74 tackles, 4 PBU's, 3 FF's and an INT returned for 29 yards. When you combine the fact that he seemed to be active in coverage and his workout numbers you get the picture that this guy will probably not have a problem transitioning to OLB.

He was thought to be a 6-7th rounder but players like him drop all the time, there was just too much of a glut of OLB's and DE's this year.
    Then it sounds like a good pickup. Smallish, tweener but a solid pass rusher? Would you say he's comparable to Maybin? Sounds like we'll bring him in to simply rush the passer on passing situations. Let's see how he looks in camp.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    the jets drafted players that were needs.....I like it that they are doing the same thing with these undrafted players.......some of you need to keep in mind how many of these players make squads and make impact on teams.

His numbers are very good, 18.5 career sacks, 8 of those coming this year in only 9 games. Ran a 4.65 at his pro day with 24 reps, 4.14 short shuttle.

He goes 6.2 251, played DE but I see him more as a OLB, look at those shuttle numbers... Can't believe this guy went undrafted. He also added 4 PBU's and 3 FF's to go with an INT, definately active. Good get especially this year that we need some young talent at OLB, can he play there? I don't know that part, he's a hybrid that's for sure and that's why he went undrafted. Can coaching allow him to move in space and cover TE's? His numbers seem to indicate he can. I will find out more about him.

Hall Of Fame
    I would say not as explosive but more powerful than Maybin...he had a good game vs ohio state last year.

Then it sounds like a good pickup. Smallish, tweener but a solid pass rusher? Would you say he's comparable to Maybin? Sounds like we'll bring him in to simply rush the passer on passing situations. Let's see how he looks in camp.

No Maybin despite not being able to hold on any weight was a tremendous athlete, just not a great football player in terms of strength. I remember when I went to the Senior Bowl in Mobile in 09 how so many scouts made fun of Maybin saying he was weak and could not play DE without getting killed in the NFL. Maybin's playing weight was 225, that's not good weight distribution when you're talking about a 6.4 guy. Davis is much stockier, he has a strong build and his 24 reps are solid too. He reminds me more of our own Antwan Barnes. We'll see what Rex and company have to say about him in the coming days.

Hall Of Fame
    when he was a 1st round draft pick I was really scratching my head.

No Maybin despite not being able to hold on any weight was a tremendous athlete, just not a great football player in terms of strength. I remember when I went to the Senior Bowl in Mobile in 09 how so many scouts made fun of Maybin saying he was weak and could not play DE without getting killed in the NFL. Maybin's playing weight was 225, that's not good weight distribution when you're talking about a 6.4 guy. Davis is much stockier, he has a strong build and his 24 reps are solid too. He reminds me more of our own Antwan Barnes. We'll see what Rex and company have to say about him in the coming days.

Troy Davis, DE/LB (6-1 3/4, 251) Davis, who is working with former NFL player Blaise Winter to improve his pass-rushing skills, post a time of 4.65 seconds in the 40-yard dash and went 4.14 in the short shuttle. He also had 24 reps at the standard 225 pounds in the bench press to cap off a very good all-around workout.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2013/04/04/tony...orida-pro-day/

All Pro
    That's not an argument. When drafting becomes a perfect science. let us all know.

Hall Of Fame
    does not have to be a particular reason...this has been going on forever to players like redskins alfred morris, priest holmes etc......not being drafted is a blessing for some players because they now get to audition themselves to a team that they may feel they have a shot to make an impact. A guy gets drafted in the 7th round may be drated on a team that has 8 guys playing the same position.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    does not have to be a particular reason...this has been going on forever to players like redskins alfred morris, priest holmes etc.......

Those guys are RBs. They are a dime a dozen, and a lot of good ones won't get drafted. Pass rushers are rare. If a guy is truly good, he will get drafted - usually early. Yes, once in a generation someone like James Harrison will slip through. I highly doubt this guy is James Harrision. You can't wait for UDFA to get premium positions like OT, CB, QB and edge rushers, like you can with RBs, Guards, Inside LBs, TEs and WRs. Unfortunately, despite the new GM, we still have Terry Bradway running the draft, and he doesn't understand this. It's why we ignore edge rushers every year, while winning teams like the Giants and Niners continue to stockpile pass rushers even when they already have a ton of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Those guys are RBs. They are a dime a dozen, and a lot of good ones won't get drafted. Pass rushers are rare. If a guy is truly good, he will get drafted - usually early. Yes, once in a generation someone like James Harrison will slip through. I highly doubt this guy is James Harrision. You can't wait for UDFA to get premium positions like OT, CB, QB and edge rushers, like you can with RBs, Guards, Inside LBs, TEs and WRs. Unfortunately, despite the new GM, we still have Terry Bradway running the draft, and he doesn't understand this. It's why we ignore edge rushers every year, while winning teams like the Giants and Niners continue to stockpile pass rushers even when they already have a ton of them.
    1) Bradway oversees all team efforts surrounding draft. http://www.newyorkjets.com/ms/media-...ay,-Terry.html
    2) Reportedly it's still Idzik's draft day to run/pick
    3) Bradway's is a very good talent evaluator
    4) Now that it's post draft we'll see what, if any, changes Idzik makes with the FO/Scouting staffs..
    Last edited by C Mart; 04-28-2013 at 10:56 AM.