Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Trader Tanny" Vs "Value Pick Idzik"...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Mangini
    ahh..the whole Mangini is the reason for the good drafts, Tanny is at fault for all the bad..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    One thing to bear in mind is that the FO perceived - rightly or wrongly - that we were set for a run, and needed a few "missing pieces" to be complete. They got close - just not close enough - but couldn't sustain it as they were all-in on a win-now mode.

Idzik has inherited a team that is at the opposite end of the spectrum - no-one's saying rebuild, but there is such a lack of talent across numerous positions that no-one would call us a win-now team. So the approach fits the situation.

A truly good GM should be able to adapt their style to suit the situation - we'll see over time how Idzik is made. So far I'm happy with the outcome as it fits the situation, but I'm not going to anoint Idzik as a genius / saviour, he's done what he needed to do, and we won't be able to judge the results for a while. If Geno becomes our franchise QB, he'll look like a genius.
    good post. if sanchez worked out we would be critiquing another trader mike draft. btw i remember the trade mr. t put together with cleveland to move up to the 5th spot to get sanchez and it was pretty impressive.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Mangini
    I understand the level of frustration from other Jets fans given the results of the past 2 seasons, especially last year coupled with high expectations. However, Tanny is being trashed constantly. It is also fair to recognize his achievements. He's the only GM in our history that can claim back-to-back AFCG. Furthermore, our 2010 team was among the elite in the League. Tanny went for it and fell a little short. So let's stop acting as if during his tenure the Jets averaged 5 wins/per year and had no talent.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Before everyone goes crazy go back to Tanny's first draft in 2006..He picked 10 players...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_New_York_Jets_season
    When is the last time you heard Izdik speak to the media or respond to something the media has said?

Idzik is a totally different GM then Tannenbaum.

Tannenbaum was always worried about the media's perception, talking to the media and responding to what the media says, Idzik just doesn't care about them - nor should he.

Idzik has a plan and he sticks to it and doesn't revolve around trading half the team's draft picks every year.

Idzik also doesn't deal with sh!theaded agents or greedy players - you want to play for this Jets team then you have to be a team player, if you don't want to be a team player then we will ship your a$s out of town - again a far cry from Mike Tannenbaum who always seemed to get bullied around by players and their agents.

This is a new ERA of management for the Jets and the future is looking pretty bright.

Yes its only one draft and half of one off-season but the footprint of this organization is already so drastically different from the Tannenbaum ERA you would have to be a blind man to not see it - or a SOJF.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 04-28-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    One thing to bear in mind is that the FO perceived - rightly or wrongly - that we were set for a run, and needed a few "missing pieces" to be complete. They got close - just not close enough - but couldn't sustain it as they were all-in on a win-now mode.

Idzik has inherited a team that is at the opposite end of the spectrum - no-one's saying rebuild, but there is such a lack of talent across numerous positions that no-one would call us a win-now team. So the approach fits the situation.

A truly good GM should be able to adapt their style to suit the situation - we'll see over time how Idzik is made. So far I'm happy with the outcome as it fits the situation, but I'm not going to anoint Idzik as a genius / saviour, he's done what he needed to do, and we won't be able to judge the results for a while. If Geno becomes our franchise QB, he'll look like a genius.
    Tanny and Co. we're wrong and I said so at the time.

How could you expect to make a true SB run with a rookie 1 year playing college QB in Sanchez when it had NEVER been done in NFL history!!!

Insanity

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Tanny and Co. we're wrong and I said so at the time.

How could you expect to make a true SB run with a rookie 1 year playing college QB in Sanchez when it had NEVER been done in NFL history!!!

Insanity
    As I say, rightly or wrongly.

Tanny made some bold, short term-ish moves to try to win a championship, and fell short. That usually will cost you your job.

Trouble is it has also left a mess behind that Idzik has to clear up. Hopefully we'll be built for stable, long term success rather than short termism from now on. The Revis trade supports this - fiscal responsibility may not be sexy, but it is necessary in the league today to build a perennial contender.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Only thing Idzik needs to get better with is negotiating trades, and moving up and down in the draft

Thought we should have got 1 more pick in the Revis deal, and a 5th, rather than a 4th in the Ivory deal

Never showed he could deal up or down in the draft

It's a learning process, I'm sure
    sometimes the best trades are the ones you dont make. (see Mariano Rivera)