Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mel Kipers Grades for Jets draft

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like

Mel Kipers Grades for Jets draft

New York Jets

Top needs: CB, OLB, S, RB, G, QB

Summary: Once you can divorce yourself from the reality of what Geno Smith is headed into, you take a step back and realize the Jets just took the guy I think is the best quarterback in the draft, and they did it at No. 39 overall. We're grading a draft, not the QB situation they have. The Jets really needed a corner now that Darrelle Revis is in Tampa, and they got the best one in the draft at No. 9. I wanted them to get a pass-rusher, but they might have done it in another way. With Sheldon Richardson, I expect them to do some new things up front, potentially shifting Quinton Coples to the edge. This is the makings of an extremely good defense up front, and Rex Ryan is a master at creating pressure with whatever he has. Brian Winters is a starter at guard, and Oday Aboushi could play either right tackle or guard. Tommy Bohanan (T-Bo!) should stick. I wanted the Jets to get a safety, but I still think they deserve a pretty good grade for hitting a few big needs. Now, they need to be patient with Smith.

Round Pick Position Player College
    (1) 9 CB Dee Milliner Alabama
    (1) 13 DT Sheldon Richardson Missouri
    (2) 39 QB Geno Smith West Virginia
    (3) 72 T Brian Winters Kent State
    (5) 141 G Oday Aboushi Virginia
    (6) 178 DT William Campbell Michigan
    (7) 215 FB Tommy Bohanon Wake Forest
    This is the first person that I have seen give an actual grade for the draft and not say "circus" or reference Sanchez or Tebow. The only thing I think Kiper should have done was consider the value of getting our starting RB with our 4th round pick. It would almost certainly have brought our grade up. If you look at the needs he has for us we basically found starters for 4 of the 6 needs listed the past 3 days. That's pretty damn good.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thats why IMO kiper is still one of the best draft guru's in the business..i think the jets get a B+..only becsause it would be impossible to fill all there needs and just on paper right now they have a clouded QB situation(which will be cleared up before camp)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only time will tell. These guys are all unproven as of now. It`s very easy to say they are starters if Rex just throws them in there. But will they be any good? Like I said, time will tell.

I don`t follow college ball so I don`t know how good these guys were in college or can be, in the NFL.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    From a value standpoint we did well.

But I think we could have done even better. There were some players available that were both a good value AND that fit a glaring need. It will be interesting to see where Richardson fits in and how he effects Coples and Wilk.

At the end of the day if Geno becomes a Top 10 QB nobody is going to care about the rest of the draft. That is the way it goes. He can make everything else look good or, like Sanchez, just pour gasoline on the fire if he stinks it up.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's nice to see an objective analysis which focuses just on the facts. The players the Jets picked early play premium positions and each one has potential to become pro-bowl caliber. If they went with Warmack, Vacarro and Minter I would not be nearly as happy as I am now. If Milliner, Richardson and Smith pan out, these are game changing players.

Kiper really liked the players the Jets drafted, so it was impossible for him to bash them without looking like a fool. Pre-draft, most analysts liked the players the Jets drafted... yet as soon as they're picked by the Jets it was a bad pick.

I am REALLY interested in seeing what the plan for Richardson is. He's such a rare athlete.
    Last edited by TheMikeIsHot; 04-28-2013 at 07:57 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan10 View Post
    Thats why IMO kiper is still one of the best draft guru's in the business..i think the jets get a B+..only becsause it would be impossible to fill all there needs and just on paper right now they have a clouded QB situation(which will be cleared up before camp)
    That is why I actually give the Jets and Idzik an A, because it would have been impossible to fill the number of question marks they had with the number of picks they had.

Just a great job by them. They looked and sounded like a top flight professional NFL front office for a change what a concept!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't always agree with Kiper over the years, but what I do respect about him is the fact that he is about one thing....FOOTBALL and not all the nonsense....Rich Eisen embarrased himself over the weekend trying to constantly say something wise ass about the jets and also mantia teo. He was even called out on the set for going overboard with the jets.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan10 View Post

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have to give them an A because of the addition of the Ivory trade....I look at all the backs still available that round and we got a RB who is already PROVEN commodity. It's as though some people feel its a crime to give this draft such a high grade, but if you look at position by position and our needs.....ALOT was addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    That is why I actually give the Jets and Idzik an A, because it would have been impossible to fill the number of question marks they had with the number of picks they had.

Just a great job by them. They looked and sounded like a top flight professional NFL front office for a change what a concept!!!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    I don't always agree with Kiper over the years, but what I do respect about him is the fact that he is about one thing....FOOTBALL and not all the nonsense....Rich Eisen embarrased himself over the weekend trying to constantly say something wise ass about the jets and also mantia teo. He was even called out on the set for going overboard with the jets.
    Yeah I have always been a fan of Eisen but not after the way he showed his a** this weekend.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    After listening to Idzik I think one of the glaring needs he targeted to fill on this team was DEPTH.

Sure, do we have a need for for starting caliber Safeties WRs and an edge rusher?

Absolutely....but chances of getting starting caliber players at those positions in rounds 5,6 & 7 are slim.

Instead, we built depth on the o-line with guys who may not be starters right now but who we could feel confident could come in for a few series to give guys breathers or come in for a game or two without missing much of best to cover someone in case of an injury.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman in indy View Post
    Yeah I have always been a fan of Eisen but not after the way he showed his a** this weekend.
    He's a jet fan that didn't agree with the picks. Lol

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    it was crazy and you could even see that the others grew tired of it....the guy at the very end of the commentator table even called Eisen out after the Rex Ryan interview...I think it was Tom Waddle who pretty much said that the jets circus banter is old and they filled many needs...he also brought up the importance of the iVORY trade...not all of them are dolts.

Quote Originally Posted by jetman in indy View Post

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally, some perspective on the Geno Smith pick.

Instead of acknowledging the value of the pick, our beat writers destory the pick and say "If the Jets really liked Smith, they would have taken him in the first."

Would they say that about the Seahawks and Russell Wilson? The Bengals and Andy Dalton? The 49ers and Colin Kaepernick?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    they addressed more than I was expecting them to do.....they did alot to make this team competitive and we have 12 picks in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    After listening to Idzik I think one of the glaring needs he targeted to fill on this team was DEPTH.

Sure, do we have a need for for starting caliber Safeties WRs and an edge rusher?

Absolutely....but chances of getting starting caliber players at those positions in rounds 5,6 & 7 are slim.

Instead, we built depth on the o-line with guys who may not be starters right now but who we could feel confident could come in for a few series to give guys breathers or come in for a game or two without missing much of best to cover someone in case of an injury.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    RG 3 at the redskins outdoor draft party

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    at the redskins outdoor draft party....RG3 jumped up and down a few times to make the fans see that he was healing....the commentators would not stop talking about it.....they tend to over do things.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think i heard Gil Brandt raving about how well the Jets did through 3 rounds. Anyone bashing their draft is clueless or has an agenda.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post

CB, I would agree. I was a little ahead of myself when criticizing the JETS after only Day 1. Having a day to digest, I think they did great. Five to six possible legit starting players over a weekend is pretty good to say the least. Top CB and top 5 DE-LINE-man should give us a great nucleus on D for years to come (Wilk, Coples, Demario Davis, Richardson and Miliner) Call it luck and a bit of strategy, but the icing is Geno at #39, to get the top rated QB that every expert and former GM had going high in the first round, at that point was incredible. Add the OT signing, trading a 4th for a starting RB in Ivory, drafting a few OLINE-MAN and it appears that we have the makings a fresh start with many pieces in place.

The only thing that would have made this better is if we also had a fresh start at HC. From a pure football point of view it is unreal that Rex was brought back. Fire the GM but not the HC? Typical JET blunder. But when you understand what our owner is all about it, you know why. My fear is that either Rex is a lame duck and at seasons end we have to start new at HC with "posibly" our QB of the future learning a second offense from whoever is brought in, OR if Rex continues to be "Rex" and not change, it will be the beginnings of destroying a second QB's career.
    Last edited by copernicus; 04-28-2013 at 08:38 AM.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    CB, I would agree. I was a little ahead of myself when criticizing the JETS after only Day 1. Having a day to digest, I think they did great. Five to six possible legit starting players over a weekend is pretty good to say the least. Top CB and top 5 DE-LINE-man should give us a great nucleus on D for years to come (Wilk, Coples, Demario Davis, Richardson and Miliner) Call it luck and a bit of strategy, but the icing is Geno at #39, to get the top rated QB that every expert and former GM had going high in the first round, at that point was incredible. Add the OT signing, trading a 4th for a starting RB in Ivory, drafting a few OLINE-MAN and it appears that we have the makings a fresh start with many pieces in place.

The only thing that would have made this better is if we also had a fresh start at HC. From a pure football point of view it is unreal that Rex was brought back. Fire the GM but not the HC? Typical JET blunder. But when you understand what our owner is all about it, you know why. My fear is that either Rex is a lame duck and at seasons end we have to start new at HC with "posibly" our QB of the future learning a second offense from whoever is brought in, OR if Rex continues to be "Rex" and not change, it will be the beginnings of destroying a second QB's career.
    Rex is one of the best defensive minds in football and I wouldn't want anyone else steering this "great nucleus" of a D. Our biggest problem over the last four years....and with Rex...were the guys he allowed to run the offense. Rex shouldn't have been allowed to keep Sch!tty around (who ruined any chance Sanchez had of developing into a good QB) and should have been allowed to hand pick Sporano. Sporano is pretty much right up there at the top of the worst coaching decisions in franchise history.

It's clear to me Rex had a lot less say in the selection of Marty this time around. Once we get some players....which will take time...we have a hope of having a real offense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see an actual grade from Kiper. Am I missing something?