Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Izdik has arrived

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    As far as the free agents that were signed not sure about quality, more like "level B' free agents, possibly one year stop gaps.

It's gonna be a rough 2013.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    As our GM likes to remind everyone this is about competition. Idzik is competing with 32 other GM's to build a SB team. At the end of the day this draft will improve every team in the NFL the question is by how much compared to the other 32 teams?

Looking at our draft in a vacuum and drawing any conclusions is meaningless. If Geno turns out to be the best QB in this class and a top NFL franchise QB this will be a great draft regardless of what anyone else does.

I suspect next year when we have cap space we might see a different approach from Idzik? I think he did well but again that depends a awful lot on Geno.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    Lost in the tainted perspective of media pundits and long suffering jet fans is the fact that we can all say now that Izdik is a solid, if not great, GM.

First, he maneuvered masterfully to get good value for Revis with NO perceived leverage.

Then he signs quality free agents for low $ and refuses to over pay any of our own free agents regardless of need.

Finally, the draft. Whether or not these players pan out, here's what we know...

Izdik stuck to his board regardless of need or media pressure. He was patient and picked great value each round. Nothing splashy, except Smith, and that was too good to be true. He never reached.

We desperately needed day one contributors. Out of this draft, we got a whopping 4 definite day one contributors (dee, Richardson, winters, Ivory), possibly 5 if Geno starts. Not too mention picking up some solid TE,S, and WR UDFAs to add to a solid draft.

We certainly gained o line & d line (big fatty) depth, a rb rotation for the next few years, a solid group of QBs, & two defensive building blocks to go with Mo & Coples.

One other thought: I think Sanchez will be the day one starter and that might be the best thing for everyone. Geno gets to learn. Sanchez rebuilds his rep & trade value, and we may get something for him at the end of the year too.
    PERFECT, excellent post :clapper

It's too bad half of this board and their agendas don't have the capacity to see it this way.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    So, to re-cap:

You can grade a GM without worrying about how the drafted players actually turn out. (Draft nerdism as its worst.)

And some how....you know the future...4 DAY ONE starters.

Good LOLz.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look...we have what a have here and need to make the most of it...as for trade down scenarios, you can't always make trades as not everyone is willing to trade up

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    what did he write that is inaccurate?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lost in the tainted perspective of media pundits and long suffering jet fans is the fact that we can all say now that Izdik is a solid, if not great, GM.

First, he maneuvered masterfully to get good value for Revis with NO perceived leverage.

Then he signs quality free agents for low $ and refuses to over pay any of our own free agents regardless of need.

Finally, the draft. Whether or not these players pan out, here's what we know...

Izdik stuck to his board regardless of need or media pressure. He was patient and picked great value each round. Nothing splashy, except Smith, and that was too good to be true. He never reached.

We desperately needed day one contributors. Out of this draft, we got a whopping 4 definite day one contributors (dee, Richardson, winters, Ivory), possibly 5 if Geno starts. Not too mention picking up some solid TE,S, and WR UDFAs to add to a solid draft.

We certainly gained o line & d line (big fatty) depth, a rb rotation for the next few years, a solid group of QBs, & two defensive building blocks to go with Mo & Coples.

One other thought: I think Sanchez will be the day one starter and that might be the best thing for everyone. Geno gets to learn. Sanchez rebuilds his rep & trade value, and we may get something for him at the end of the year too.
    'no perceived leverage'?...that was all their doing...telling everyone and their mother they wanted to trade Revis...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely agree. Only idiots would wait to see how a GMs moves actually work out, but a true Jet fan knows that we have a genius on our hands right now.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    When is the last time you heard Izdik speak to the media or respond to something the media has said?

Idzik is a totally different GM then Tannenbaum.

Tannenbaum was always worried about talking to the media and responding to what the media says, Idzik just doesn't care about them - nor should he.

Idzik has a plan and he sticks to it and it doesn't revolve around trading half the team's draft picks away every year.

Idzik also doesn't deal with sh!theaded agents or greedy players - you want to play for this Jets team then you have to be a team player, if you don't want to be a team player then we will ship your a$s out of town - again a far cry from Mike Tannenbaum who always seemed to get bullied around by players and their agents.

This is a new ERA of management for the Jets and the future is looking pretty bright.

Yes its only one draft and half of one off-season, but, the footprint is already so drastically different from the Tannenbaum ERA you would have to be a blind man to not see it - or a SOJF.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 04-28-2013 at 11:55 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Yes its only one draft and half of one off-season, but, the footprint is already so drastically different from the Tannenbaum ERA you would have to be a blind man to not see it - or a SOJF.

Yes, drastically different. One man has changed. The entire personnel dept 100% the same. No edge pass rushers drafted, reach for a headline-grabbing QB... sounds nothing like the Tanny era.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will say this ... Idzik has arrived ... whether that is a good thing or not has yet to be seen.

Drafting strictly BAP regardless of position is a theory that MAY be flawed.

We will see where we are in November, and in 2014.

I do know that I agree with it ... sort of feels like a nice colon cleanse !!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Yes, drastically different. One man has changed. The entire personnel dept 100% the same. No edge pass rushers drafted, reach for a headline-grabbing QB... sounds nothing like the Tanny era.
    Geno Smith was the BPA when the Jets picked him, the best player available at his position, a consensus 1st round talent that we picked in the 2nd round and that's your idea of a reach?

You just lost whatever credibility you might have had making that statement.

I won't even respond to any of your future posts as it would be a complete waste of time.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I am very happy with everything I've seen from Idzik since he was hired

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm happy with how Idzik has performed too but come on now.

We lush over EVERY new GM and coach the first couple of years...then when they inevitably don't produce a trophy we turn on them, only to repeat the cycle.

Maybe this time will be different, but I won't be holding my breath.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

If geno is a bust, so what? We lost a 2nd round pick by taking the BPA. See clausen a few years ago in CAR. They took him in the 2nd, didnt work, then they took Cam the next year. No big deal.
    No big deal? The Panthers went 2-14 that year. That's how they were in position to draft Newton.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see why it's early to crown the guy. As I mentioned, my assessment has nothing to do with how the players turn out. It has to do with the way the operation was run. You can not judge a GM soley on their draft's success, b/c that won't be known for at least 3 years. You have to judge them on the way they go about their business.

Do they make good decisions regardless of media/fan popularity?

Do they get good value by their board?

Do they achieve their goals in the draft?

Yes to all three, and that is the makings of a great NFL GM. That's why Casserly and other GMs were impressed with their draft.

If geno is a bust, so what? We lost a 2nd round pick by taking the BPA. See clausen a few years ago in CAR. They took him in the 2nd, didnt work, then they took Cam the next year. No big deal.

Why if Ivory gets hurt is it a problem? We picked up a potential 'proven' player for a 4th round pick. What 4th round pick is a 'proven' commodity in the draft? None of them.

Not to mention, we picked up 4 DAY ONE starters.
    I didn't realize these players have been named starters already. When did that happen?

Lots of players have ability, Ivory has proven he's skilled while also proving he is very injury prone. He has a lot more to prove IMO. The risk of him staying healthy is about as high as it is hitting a home run on a 4th round pick.

Crowning him right now, before any actual games have been played, is really not something I can agree with.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    No big deal? The Panthers went 2-14 that year. That's how they were in position to draft Newton.
    Yes, that's usually what happens when you don't have a good QB. But missing on clauses didn't set their franchise back at all.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Geno Smith was the BPA when the Jets picked him, the best player available at his position, a consensus 1st round talent that we picked in the 2nd round and that's your idea of a reach?

You just lost whatever credibility you might have had making that statement.

I won't even respond to any of your future posts as it would be a complete waste of time.

I'm sorry, what was the consensus on Mark Sanchez in 2009? Was he a 6th round talent? Oh right, he was a sure fire first rounder. So clearly the Jets made the right move. Wasn't a reach at all.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Idzik repeatedly said the draft is the lifeline of a franchise. He also stated we will rebuild not just 13 but every year after that. That's is how you establish long term success.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

You can't draw that conclusion so quickly. Tanny had a great first draft, he just got progressively worse as time wore on.

And really all right now is is a belief that he did well based on draft pundits have to say. 3 seasons from now will tell the truth about this draft.

I'll admit, it certainly looks good right now, but that is a common thing for most teams fans after the draft.