Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Izdik has arrived

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Izdik has arrived

Lost in the tainted perspective of media pundits and long suffering jet fans is the fact that we can all say now that Izdik is a solid, if not great, GM.

First, he maneuvered masterfully to get good value for Revis with NO perceived leverage.

Then he signs quality free agents for low $ and refuses to over pay any of our own free agents regardless of need.

Finally, the draft. Whether or not these players pan out, here's what we know...

Izdik stuck to his board regardless of need or media pressure. He was patient and picked great value each round. Nothing splashy, except Smith, and that was too good to be true. He never reached.

We desperately needed day one contributors. Out of this draft, we got a whopping 4 definite day one contributors (dee, Richardson, winters, Ivory), possibly 5 if Geno starts. Not too mention picking up some solid TE,S, and WR UDFAs to add to a solid draft.

We certainly gained o line & d line (big fatty) depth, a rb rotation for the next few years, a solid group of QBs, & two defensive building blocks to go with Mo & Coples.

One other thought: I think Sanchez will be the day one starter and that might be the best thing for everyone. Geno gets to learn. Sanchez rebuilds his rep & trade value, and we may get something for him at the end of the year too.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    Lost in the tainted perspective of media pundits and long suffering jet fans is the fact that we can all say now that Izdik is a solid, if not great, GM.

First, he maneuvered masterfully to get good value for Revis with NO perceived leverage.

Then he signs quality free agents for low $ and refuses to over pay any of our own free agents regardless of need.

Finally, the draft. Whether or not these players pan out, here's what we know...

Izdik stuck to his board regardless of need or media pressure. He was patient and picked great value each round. Nothing splashy, except Smith, and that was too good to be true. He never reached.

We desperately needed day one contributors. Out of this draft, we got a whopping 4 definite day one contributors (dee, Richardson, winters, Ivory), possibly 5 if Geno starts. Not too mention picking up some solid TE,S, and WR UDFAs to add to a solid draft.

We certainly gained o line & d line (big fatty) depth, a rb rotation for the next few years, a solid group of QBs, & two defensive building blocks to go with Mo & Coples.

One other thought: I think Sanchez will be the day one starter and that might be the best thing for everyone. Geno gets to learn. Sanchez rebuilds his rep & trade value, and we may get something for him at the end of the year too.
    With all due respect

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a great on the money post.

I agree 100%

The key is with one offseason he has begun to stabilize the franchise.

The crew of Jets fans knocking him for not picking their guy are missing the point. Idzik is the GM and he gets to build the team into a winner his way not the way folks in JI believe he should.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure how you make the leap to great GM after one draft. These players haven't even put on a helmet yet.

Let's wait a few minutes before crowning the guy please.

This is a draft I like more and more every day, but we really don't know anything yet... so saying Idzik is great IMO is premature to say the least.

All of the other decisions are way too fresh to honestly make an assessment. If Ivory gets hurt in week 2, which is entirely possible given his history, that trade looks bad.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I'm not sure how you make the leap to great GM after one draft. These players haven't even put on a helmet yet.

This is a draft I like more and more every day, but we really don't know anything yet... so saying Idzik is great IMO is premature to say the least.

All of the other decisions are way too fresh to honestly make an assessment. If Ivory gets hurt in week 2, which is entirely possible given his history, that trade looks bad.
    Bingo.

And I, too, stopped reading at "a solid group of QBs."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good post, I think you could argue that the Jets despite cutting a ton of veteran players are better now than they were last year.

They should have improved RB, Oline and QB play on offense.
    Hill will be better and Holmes should come back strong. Keller was hurt most of the year, so no real difference there.

defensively, you have 2 2nd year starters in Coples and Davis who should be upgrades, Wilkerson is a star in the making, and Millner helps too as Revis was hurt all of last year. Then Richardson provides something the Jets never had, an inside pass rusher.

We lose 2 good safeties, and 1 OLB, but will have Rex calling the defensive plays again, which is huge because Pettine was not nearly as aggressive.

This off season on paper and the position the Jets were in with the cap is about as good as you could expect.

I'm going to temper my enthusiasm just a bit as MT once looked great too, but will say Idzik so far looks like the real deal.
    Last edited by Monsterxman; 04-28-2013 at 08:53 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

One Eye, you are one of the best on the board. It was a "promising" day for die hards because there seemed to be a legit, professional plan in place and Idzik showed that he would not crack under pressure.

I would only hesitate to call him "great" because GMs are rated on how the players perform. No one will remember how Idzik maneuvered a 1st rounder out of Tampa with no other team interested if Miliner doesn't pan out.

I really loved what I saw from Idzik as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

sanity....

And with the draft now over we'll see over the next few weeks if Idzik plans to make any changes to the Front Office / Scouting staff..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    sanity....

And with the draft now over we'll see over the next few weeks if Idzik plans to make any changes to the Front Office / Scouting staff..
    I agree, calling Idzik a GREAT GM right now is way premature. He has done a lot of good things so far, not perfect IMO, but lets not get too far ahead of things.

I do think that people were WAY too emotional after the first round of the draft and killing Idzik for taking two defensive players when there were still 6 picks remaining in the draft. This draft was simply the first phase of the rebuild, now comes the development of these draft picks, then free agency with a lot of money to spend in 2014, and then the 2014 draft. We will get a much better idea of what type of GM Idzik is 365 days from now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    a little premature with the "great" rating maybe.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I agree, calling Idzik a GREAT GM right now is way premature. He has done a lot of good things so far, not perfect IMO, but lets not get too far ahead of things.

I do think that people were WAY too emotional after the first round of the draft and killing Idzik for taking two defensive players when there were still 6 picks remaining in the draft. This draft was simply the first phase of the rebuild, now comes the development of these draft picks, then free agency with a lot of money to spend in 2014, and then the 2014 draft. We will get a much better idea of what type of GM Idzik is 365 days from now.
    Guilty as charged

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you. I may be the only one here who is not entirely pleased with the Ivory risk. I like the player but think his running style will keep him on the bench. A 4th for that risk when we had so many other needs? There were good safety, TE and OLBs still there and RB is perhaps the easiest position in the world to fill. That trade is a gamble.

I'm also not sold on Geno Smith ever being a franchise QB. He's very inconsistent and the Jets have a very bad history of developing young QBs. Maybe Morningweg and David Lee can change all that.

At 39, I wanted them to trade back with a team clamoring for a QB, like Philly or Jacksonville. Once they passed on Smith before us in round 2, I would have hoped that we could have gotten this year's 3rd, next year's 2d and maybe more from one of those teams to take our 39 spot and then we draft one of the other prospects later. Hey, Philly traded up in round 3 to get Barkley, didn't they? I just don't see a QB for the millennium in Geno Smith. I like the QBs next year far better. So it may sound ridiculous, but contrary to popular opinion, I don't believe Smith is the man for our future here and I'm sad that we didn't try to exploit the fact that Smith fell to us and parlay that into a plethora of other picks. I see Jax just picked up Scott as UDFA. Love that kid. Watch him eventually take over for Freeman in a few years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    a little premature with the "great" rating maybe.
    Yes, it is early, but it is deserved. I specified in the post that this has nothing to do with the way this class performs. It has to do with the way business is handled.

No draft is perfect. Nobody hits on every player. The point is, you want a GM who is fully invested in their vision, not satisfying the media, fans, coach, etc. You need a leader for the organization, and that right there is the definition of a 'great GM' in mho.

Yes, it is early to declare great, and excuse my optimism, but it is quite refreshing to have someone with a plan, and the balls to execute it no matter what.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see why it's early to crown the guy. As I mentioned, my assessment has nothing to do with how the players turn out. It has to do with the way the operation was run. You can not judge a GM soley on their draft's success, b/c that won't be known for at least 3 years. You have to judge them on the way they go about their business.

Do they make good decisions regardless of media/fan popularity?

Do they get good value by their board?

Do they achieve their goals in the draft?

Yes to all three, and that is the makings of a great NFL GM. That's why Casserly and other GMs were impressed with their draft.

If geno is a bust, so what? We lost a 2nd round pick by taking the BPA. See clausen a few years ago in CAR. They took him in the 2nd, didnt work, then they took Cam the next year. No big deal.

Why if Ivory gets hurt is it a problem? We picked up a potential 'proven' player for a 4th round pick. What 4th round pick is a 'proven' commodity in the draft? None of them.

Not to mention, we picked up 4 DAY ONE starters.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it is early, but it is deserved. I specified in the post that this has nothing to do with the way this class performs. It has to do with the way business is handled.

No draft is perfect. Nobody hits on every player. The point is, you want a GM who is fully invested in their vision, not satisfying the media, fans, coach, etc. You need a leader for the organization, and that right there is the definition of a 'great GM' in mho.

Yes, it is early to declare great, and excuse my optimism, but it is quite refreshing to have someone with a plan, and the balls to execute it no matter what.
    I do agree that the best attribute Idzik has shown is having a plan and philosophy as to how he wants to build this team. I think having that philosophy is what this team needed the most. Now we will see how well he executes his plan and philosophy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    wait i am gong to go dig up the "Rex is the truth" "I hope Rex never leaves" threads that were started after his introductory presser.

And how the hell would u know that he "stuck to the board" lol

Idiotic post.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    wait i am gong to go dig up the "Rex is the truth" "I hope Rex never leaves" threads that were started after his introductory presser.

And how the hell would u know that he "stuck to the board" lol

Idiotic post.
    Your intellectual contribution to this thread is enlightening. I know he stuck to the board b/c he made 'unpopular' picks that were good value regardless of perceived need.

You must be one of the long suffering jet fan haters buying into the media scrutiny, and allowing the collective whole to develop your opinion. Its okay, next year, i'll +1 your "Izdik is the truth" and "i hope Izdik never leaves" threads.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't jump to great just yet, but with what we've seen as to this point we should be excited in the direction Idzik is taking us....

Good job Idzy

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Juels Santana View Post
    I wouldn't jump to great just yet, but with what we've seen as to this point we should be excited in the direction Idzik is taking us....

Good job Idzy
    well said. Im just an optimist i guess, or a visionary, or a moron. Time will tell.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see why it's early to crown the guy. As I mentioned, my assessment has nothing to do with how the players turn out. It has to do with the way the operation was run. You can not judge a GM soley on their draft's success, b/c that won't be known for at least 3 years. You have to judge them on the way they go about their business.

Do they make good decisions regardless of media/fan popularity?

Do they get good value by their board?

Do they achieve their goals in the draft?

Yes to all three, and that is the makings of a great NFL GM. That's why Casserly and other GMs were impressed with their draft.

If geno is a bust, so what? We lost a 2nd round pick by taking the BPA. See clausen a few years ago in CAR. They took him in the 2nd, didnt work, then they took Cam the next year. No big deal.

Why if Ivory gets hurt is it a problem? We picked up a potential 'proven' player for a 4th round pick. What 4th round pick is a 'proven' commodity in the draft? None of them.

Not to mention, we picked up 4 DAY ONE starters.
    So, to re-cap:

You can grade a GM without worrying about how the drafted players actually turn out. (Draft nerdism as its worst.)

And some how....you know the future...4 DAY ONE starters.

Good LOLz.