Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Izdik has arrived

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Picks and cap flexibility are wonderful.

But ultimately meaningless unless you pick the right players.
    Really? As a pat fan, I'm pretty sure you can look right at home for what I'm talking about.

How have the PATs drafted in recent years? Yet, they still win all the time. Why? Cause they have cap flexibility. No one is bigger then the team. Even the high price bust FAs (A. Thomas) caused them lil damage. B/c they structured the contracts to protect the team. That's how you run a solid organization.

Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    Again, what if all this comes true. We cut the players and move on b/c they have team friendly deals or are in rookie contracts.

Now, think of the past. If Santonio got hurt, and Revis, what type of team did we have? It was a joke. Our team was built of a few good players and fill ins. That had to change, and now it has/is.
    If he drafts busts and sign FA's that are getting hurt regularly then he should lose his job (not after a year or even 3) but if there's a trend them he should go.

Really? As a pat fan, I'm pretty sure you can look right at home for what I'm talking about.

How have the PATs drafted in recent years? Yet, they still win all the time. Why? Cause they have cap flexibility. No one is bigger then the team. Even the high price bust FAs (A. Thomas) caused them lil damage. B/c they structured the contracts to protect the team. That's how you run a solid organization.
    What have they won?

If Belichick could have drafted a few decent cornerbacks they might have actually won something.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    That's some deep stuff.
    Beat it nerd. We're talking football.

Beat it nerd. We're talking football.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    What have they won?

If Belichick could have drafted a few decent cornerbacks they might have actually won something.
    Maybe Belly will sign Tebow and convert him to a db?

Contrary to some myths that have been perpetuated on this site and elsewhere, the Pats have drafted very well in recent years. Their drafts in 2007 and 08 were horrible and 09 was mediocre at best. If they had had similarly poor drafts in 2010-2012, they would be struggling to make the playoffs, even with Brady. But those drafts were all very good. So I think it's a combination of having cap flexiblity as you say and actually acquiring players who can play as FF2 says.

I would not label this as idealism.

You don't trade your best player with no leverage coming off a ACL tear for a top 15 pick in the draft and an additional pick next year. Fair value is a stupid thing b/c you cant get 'fair value' when a player wants to be paid so high, only one team in the league can afford him. It's not just about his play on the field. His value includes his cap hit as well.

Right on with the QBs, but i would say we have a 10x better group of QBs then last year.

Ivory is a beast. Injuries happen. We gave up a 3rd day pick. I'm certainly comfortable with that level of risk. Ivory is not going to be asked to be the bell cow. He just has to fit into the mix.

FA of note: Mike Goodson, Dawan Landry, Willie Colon - all projected starters / contributors for a paltry sum.

Who cares about a PR mess. The Jets are a PR mess regardless. Start the best player. I believe that's Sanchez THIS YEAR. Give Geno time to learn, unless he really proves he can do it now. But without the weapons, and the restrictions b/c of dead $, what's the rush to throw Geno to the wolves. Let Sanchez earn his spot, his $, and possibly even build trade value.

The Jury is out on the players, not the GM. I don't know why no one gets this. If all of these players bust, it still does not matter. If the FAs are bad, and the draft players all turn out as busts, all we have lost is the season. The Jets are being built where they don't rely on optimism anymore.

I expect there will be no contracts that handcuff the team anymore. Izdik has made a ton of moves, all which can be judged later on, but he has not made any moves that endanger the future of the team. No bad contracts to players who must prove they are worth it.

That's why he is a good GM. He has ultimate flexibility, and is putting together quite a good roster in comparison to what looked possible a few months ago.
    Understand your view - it is realistic.

Izdik probably had to accept the Revis trade as a condition of accepting the GM position. However, trading Revis changed the way the Jets approached this draft, how they are building the roster and most importantly, a Revis-led defense has been the only challenge to the Pats in the division.

Don't view the roster the same way you do. Prior to the trade, IMO the offense was deficient and deserving considerable attention. After the trade, IMO the defense became deficient and it ended up costing the top picks.

In any event, get your view and you started a good post. Certainly better than most on JI.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by We need Sherman Plunkett View Post
    After the trade, IMO the defense became deficient and it ended up costing the top picks.
    Totally agree with this, however, getting rid of a $16m a year type player opens up the cap for next year to fill the offensive holes.

I don't think after the REvis trade there was any way to fill all the holes we have. That is going to take 2 offseasons. I just think we got a great start and am looking forward to this new direction.

Lost in the tainted perspective of media pundits and long suffering jet fans is the fact that we can all say now that Izdik is a solid, if not great, GM.

First, he maneuvered masterfully to get good value for Revis with NO perceived leverage.

Then he signs quality free agents for low $ and refuses to over pay any of our own free agents regardless of need.

Finally, the draft. Whether or not these players pan out, here's what we know...

Izdik stuck to his board regardless of need or media qpressure. He was patient and picked great value each round. Nothing splashy, except Smith, and that was too good to be true. He never reached.

We desperately needed day one contributors. Out of this draft, we got a whopping 4 definite day one contributors (dee, Richardson, winters, Ivory), possibly 5 if Geno starts. Not too mention picking up some solid TE,S, and WR UDFAs to add to a solid draft.

We certainly gained o line & d line (big fatty) depth, a rb rotation for the next few years, a solid group of QBs, & two defensive building blocks to go with Mo & Coples.

One other thought: I think Sanchez will be the day one starter and that might be the best thing for everyone. Geno gets to learn. Sanchez rebuilds his rep & trade value, and we may get something for him at the end of the year too.
    If u wanna crown him, then crown his ass...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    If u wanna crown him, then crown his ass...
    haha. well played.

Jets Insider VIP
    What have they won?

They have won the division i think every year, no? And they have made it to the Super bowl 2x.

I mean, I understand its not the SB trophy, but they've been damn good.

I mean, I heard Rex make a statement that made me cringe the other day. He said that he has more playoff wins then Bellicheck since he's been here.

I laugh cause the reason he has won more playoff games is cause they barely make the playoffs and have to win 3 games each year to get to the super bowl. lol.

haha. well played.
    http://youtu.be/nAN9ORwsiVA

They have won the division i think every year, no? And they have made it to the Super bowl 2x.

I mean, I understand its not the SB trophy, but they've been damn good.

I mean, I heard Rex make a statement that made me cringe the other day. He said that he has more playoff wins then Bellicheck since he's been here.

I laugh cause the reason he has won more playoff games is cause they barely make the playoffs and have to win 3 games each year to get to the super bowl. lol.
    Yep, if you don't adjust for wild card games and first round byes, I think Rex has 4 playoff wins to BB's 3.