Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 96

Thread: Mayock turned on Geno the minute the Jets drafted him

  1. #41
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    235
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fredmertz View Post
    I did not watch every pick of the first and second rounds, but I can not think of another player who was subjected to a reel of mistakes (and mistakes only) immediately after being picked. It was shameless.
    There was only one other... and it just happened to be the 9th pick in the draft.

  2. #42
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    848
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    3 of those 5 qbs (Tea Party, Mcleroy, Sims) are completely worthless and will be cut soon if Noodlebrain Woody allows it.


    Yes its a weak draft class which is why the Jets waited to 39. Geno was considered by most people to be the best qb prospect for a reason. He's mobile, an accurate thrower with touch and an intelligent, coachable player. Is he Luck or RGIII? Hell no but I'll take a future David Garrard at 39 and so would any decent GM.
    completely agree. our QBs are terrible
    i should admit i still have teensy-weensy of hope invested with Sanchez

    best QB prospect in a weak class. doesnt make him a great QB.
    he is everything you listed but accurate (well not as accurate as his stats would imply)

    i get it. the franchise is dying for a superbowl caliber QB but teams dont win with "Garrard" types of QBs. you might win some season games but it is more unlikely to win the big game with QB like him

    basically i think next year draft will have a much deeper QB talent pool and QB pick could have waited

  3. #43
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,911
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    completely agree. our QBs are terrible
    i should admit i still have teensy-weensy of hope invested with Sanchez

    best QB prospect in a weak class. doesnt make him a great QB.
    he is everything you listed but accurate (well not as accurate as his stats would imply)

    i get it. the franchise is dying for a superbowl caliber QB but teams dont win with "Garrard" types of QBs. you might win some season games but it is more unlikely to win the big game with QB like him

    basically i think next year draft will have a much deeper QB talent pool and QB pick could have waited
    The pass interference rules in the nfl are getting to be such a joke now I think eventually we are going to see a mediocre qb win a Super Bowl again like we did years ago with Dilfer and Brad Johnson. It was just a year ago we saw Mark Sanchez aka world's worst quarterback throw for 3,400 yards.

    Jets' blueprint for success in late 90s and '9-'10 was beefing up the lines, running game and good defensive playcalling.

  4. #44
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,656
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman in indy View Post
    Somebody else drafts Geno other than the Jets on the second day and they show highlights, not lowlights.....
    These video packages are cut and ready to roll when a player is picked.

    Mayock and his producer will have decided days ago what the video on each prospect will be and his script will have been pre-planned accordingly..they don't just magic up some negative tape because the Jets picked him.Live 4 hour broadcasting is just too complex and risky to just busk it like that.

    Mayock will have decided that the story with Geno is that he's a risk and show's some inconsistency and pre-draft the possibility he might drop would've meant that the video package might need to take that into account,hence the tape of bad throws,even if he'd have gone top 3 that negative tape would've almost certainly been broadcast..It's likely the fact he dropped out of round 1 meant that he became the big story on day 2 and it's possible they may have re-edited slightly to accentuate the negatives because at that stage the story was "why did he fall out of Rd 1?"...It's likely that tape was ready to roll regardless of who picked him

  5. #45
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,185
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jzelada121 View Post
    Mel Kiper and ESPN schooled Maycock and Eisen this weekend, I'm saying this and I hate ESPN.
    +1.. I always watch NFLN for the draft but they didnt do their best job this time around.

  6. #46
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,825
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    These video packages are cut and ready to roll when a player is picked.

    Mayock and his producer will have decided days ago what the video on each prospect will be and his script will have been pre-planned accordingly..they don't just magic up some negative tape because the Jets picked him.Live 4 hour broadcasting is just too complex and risky to just busk it like that.

    Mayock will have decided that the story with Geno is that he's a risk and show's some inconsistency and pre-draft the possibility he might drop would've meant that the video package might need to take that into account,hence the tape of bad throws,even if he'd have gone top 3 that negative tape would've almost certainly been broadcast..It's likely the fact he dropped out of round 1 meant that he became the big story on day 2 and it's possible they may have re-edited slightly to accentuate the negatives because at that stage the story was "why did he fall out of Rd 1?"...It's likely that tape was ready to roll regardless of who picked him
    Unbelievable that people don't get this and think you can roll any kind of tape at any moment with no more than a second's notice. The pick was made they had to play what they had cued up, and it would have been the producer deciding what to show anyway. Best they could have done is not show it at all, but then what, dead air?

  7. #47
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    42,628
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    These video packages are cut and ready to roll when a player is picked.

    It's likely that tape was ready to roll regardless of who picked him
    You honestly think with all the video technology that exists that they couldn't have run a positive or negative tape in the space of a few seconds?? How many negative tapes did you see of other teams picks??

  8. #48
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,825
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    You honestly think with all the video technology that exists that they couldn't have run a positive or negative tape in the space of a few seconds?? How many negative tapes did you see of other teams picks??
    the tape was pre-edited before the Jets selected him. you can't just 'run a tape' that doesn't exist. You have to first create it.

  9. #49
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    42,628
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    the tape was pre-edited before the Jets selected him. you can't just 'run a tape' that doesn't exist. You have to first create it.
    So you think if he went with the 6th pick to the Browns they run the same tape?? I know the negative tape existed before the Jets selected Geno just as a positive tape existed also..

  10. #50
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,511
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Life View Post
    +1.. I always watch NFLN for the draft but they didnt do their best job this time around.
    too often nfl network deviated from pure analysis. the whole time mel and todd discussed players evenly.

  11. #51
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10,243
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    So you think if he went with the 6th pick to the Browns they run the same tape?? I know the negative tape existed before the Jets selected Geno just as a positive tape existed also..
    Vinny's Niece obviously is unaware that this is possible.

  12. #52
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    930
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    These video packages are cut and ready to roll when a player is picked.

    Mayock and his producer will have decided days ago what the video on each prospect will be and his script will have been pre-planned accordingly..they don't just magic up some negative tape because the Jets picked him.Live 4 hour broadcasting is just too complex and risky to just busk it like that.

    Mayock will have decided that the story with Geno is that he's a risk and show's some inconsistency and pre-draft the possibility he might drop would've meant that the video package might need to take that into account,hence the tape of bad throws,even if he'd have gone top 3 that negative tape would've almost certainly been broadcast..It's likely the fact he dropped out of round 1 meant that he became the big story on day 2 and it's possible they may have re-edited slightly to accentuate the negatives because at that stage the story was "why did he fall out of Rd 1?"...It's likely that tape was ready to roll regardless of who picked him
    What do you think the NFL network exec's were doing all night after the first round? They ended the first trying to start s*** about Geno leaving early etc., and now you somehow think that all night and the whole next day they can't put together a clip of bad plays? Please.....and once the rumors started early in the morning that the Jets were trying to trade up to get Geno then you know the Jets were being set up to trash if they took him...wake up!

  13. #53
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    21,933
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Vinny's Niece obviously is unaware that this is possible.
    Completely impossible for them to create 41 tapes to run when their projected top 40 prospects are selected.

    40 is possible. 41? No fracking way.

  14. #54
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10,243
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Completely impossible for them to create 41 tapes to run when their projected top 40 prospects are selected.

    40 is possible. 41? No fracking way.
    Well said.

  15. #55
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,474
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    the tape was pre-edited before the Jets selected him. you can't just 'run a tape' that doesn't exist. You have to first create it.
    Isn't equally plausible that they have both types of tape ready? Why is that such a stretch...

  16. #56
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,423
    Post Thanks / Like
    If geno smith had been drafted by the patriots in round 2 there would not have been enough paper towels to clean up the slobbering from the panel experts. By the way, the patriots drafted everyone from Rutgers but the trainers and yet the tv experts still fell over themselves to compliment Belichick. He is too smart for the rest of us to comprehend

  17. #57
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,643
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    If geno smith had been drafted by the patriots in round 2 there would not have been enough paper towels to clean up the slobbering from the panel experts. By the way, the patriots drafted everyone from Rutgers but the trainers and yet the tv experts still fell over themselves to compliment Belichick. He is too smart for the rest of us to comprehend
    Excellent point! I have had a laugh at some posters. In todays modern era they do not believe in the possibility that two tapes existed on aparticular player and at a moments notice the producer & analyst can pick the one they want to show. Kind of like statistics! They don't lie but liars use them to make their point!

    We all saw MaYUCK saying what a great value Geno was at that point and then a few minutes later dumping on the Jets for drafting him. MaYUCK and Eisen suck in my opinion! Next year I watch ESPN for the draft. I am also writing a letter to thye NFL and complaining about MA-YUCK's bs.

  18. #58
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,500
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wait, are some people seriously suggesting that NFL Network had two copies of Geno Smith tape made, one labeled "Geno Smith - selected by Jets" and "Geno Smith -selected by other 31 teams?" LOL. I mean, I get the media bias against the Jets and fully believe that much of it is unfair, but that is some straight up tin foil hat stuff.

  19. #59
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,897
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only problem i see is that u guys were watching nfl network. When it comes to the draft, you watch mel kiper and nobody else. He is the godfather of the draft. Next year, turn off nfl network and tune in to mel kiper.

  20. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Wait, are some people seriously suggesting that NFL Network had two copies of Geno Smith tape made, one labeled "Geno Smith - selected by Jets" and "Geno Smith -selected by other 31 teams?" LOL. I mean, I get the media bias against the Jets and fully believe that much of it is unfair, but that is some straight up tin foil hat stuff.
    Actually, troll jackass.

    They had a third tape ready if Satan had drafted him for your Shats not only showing only good clips but declaring him the next Tammy Bradi and reaffirming the greatness of everything Boston in drafting him.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us